Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Since most of you respect Mike Mayock's opinion and see DT as a big need « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#15 : January 11, 2009, 06:24:52 PM

if we were to draft 2 1st day DTs I think a more likely scenario would be Raji in the 1st, Sen'Derrick Marks in the 2nd.

Marks in round 2 would be best case scenario, but also ridiculously highly unlikely.
we'd probably have to trade up toward the top of the 2nd but that would be much easier than trading into the first.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#16 : January 11, 2009, 06:34:42 PM

Agreed, but I don't trust our FO to make any sizeable move forward or backward in the draft. Last year there was talk of trading up a few picks and we traded down a few picks in the 2nd, but we really don't take big risks in trading up. I'd love to see it happen, but realistically it's not really on my radar.

CrAsH_oVeRdRiVe

Rookie

#17 : January 11, 2009, 06:55:16 PM

I think Raji is a great DT prospect minus the fact he doesn't wrap up a lot. That was one of the biggest issues our team defense had this past Decemeber.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#18 : January 12, 2009, 11:17:14 AM

That guy doesn't remember the last time he was 315.

And he does get after the passer.

Glad to see some of you folks finally coming around after three years.

Any of you bother to watch the VT or Vandy game?  Any BC game this year?

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

bigbuc345

Pro Bowler

#19 : January 12, 2009, 11:19:25 AM

1 raji
2 Massaquoi/RB
3 Harrell

its not gonna happen but i would like it

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#20 : January 12, 2009, 07:38:32 PM

Vince Wilfork was a solid pass rusher at Miami too, didn't offer so much at the next level.

Of course as a nose in NE's 3-4 his responsibilities are much different.  I agree he wouldn't be the same kind of player as Sapp.  But I'd love to have him!

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#21 : January 12, 2009, 07:25:27 PM

Vince Wilfork was a solid pass rusher at Miami too, didn't offer so much at the next level.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#22 : January 12, 2009, 07:42:54 PM

Of course as a nose in NE's 3-4 his responsibilities are much different.  I agree he wouldn't be the same kind of player as Sapp.  But I'd love to have him!

Thats not the point. Players in a 3-4 scheme can get after the passer. Like Haloti Ngata or Jay Ratliff. Point is, he was a solid pass rusher in college who just didn't have that upside in the NFL. I think Raji is a lot of the same way. Both are really heavy, stout guys who have a quick first step and a solid bull rush but not much outside of that.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#23 : January 13, 2009, 09:52:06 AM

3-4 nose doesn't get the same pass rush as he did playing a 4-3 in college?  GTFO! 

Srsly, what does that have to do with whether or not Raji gets, err got after the QB in college?

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#24 : January 13, 2009, 09:52:59 AM

Thats not the point. Players in a 3-4 scheme can get after the passer. Like Haloti Ngata or Jay Ratliff. Point is, he was a solid pass rusher in college who just didn't have that upside in the NFL. I think Raji is a lot of the same way. Both are really heavy, stout guys who have a quick first step and a solid bull rush but not much outside of that.

How many games did you watch Raji play?

#25 : January 13, 2009, 10:08:27 AM

BJ is pushing 330...What seperates BJ from some of the speed guys is he is a power rusher.

He has the ability to push a guard back into the QB...he can break open a middle for ends and backers to rush

Watch his film if you havent seen it you are in for a treat

BucsPirate

Pro Bowler

#26 : January 13, 2009, 10:12:03 AM

Raji has good quickness, but I see him a more as a pocket collapser than a guy who can penetrate and get 6-7 sacks a year. That's why I prefer Jerry, especially if we can sign a big DT in FA, but I would be estatic with Raji as well.

#27 : January 13, 2009, 10:12:10 AM

All the film I have seen of Raji he plays right beside Ron Brace in a 4-3 scheme

He is a prototype 3-4 guy as he can take on multiple guards but line him up in a 4-3 scheme. It isnt foreign to him

If we get Jerry get ready for more of the same move b@#ch get out the way...get out the way b@#ch get out the way

#28 : January 13, 2009, 10:13:43 AM

Raji has good quickness, but I see him a more as a pocket collapser than a guy who can penetrate and get 6-7 sacks a year. That's why I prefer Jerry, especially if we can sign a big DT in FA, but I would be estatic with Raji as well.

You can find speed rushers at DT almost every year

How many times do you see a big guy like Raji hit the FA market (without a tag or strings attached)

Trust me guys we draft Raji....get a shot at Peppers and sign him. We INSTANTLY have one of the most feared DL's in the game

acacius

Hall of Famer

#29 : January 13, 2009, 10:21:00 AM

You can find speed rushers at DT almost every year

How many times do you see a big guy like Raji hit the FA market (without a tag or strings attached)

Good speed rushers are pretty much as rare.  I'm not saying that Jerry or Marks will be players like Harris is, but their being (relatively) smaller tackles doesn't mean that they'll be players like Haye either.

(This should not be construed as my saying that I'd be upset if the Bucs drafted Raji.  I wouldn't be at all.  I'm just saying there's value in the other potential first round DTs as well.)
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Since most of you respect Mike Mayock's opinion and see DT as a big need « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools