Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "BRACE FOR IMPACT!"......What Would You Do? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
: January 16, 2009, 08:07:47 AM

I was reading some of the comments by passengers from the plane crash yesterday.  Many said that after the captain gave the command to "brace for impact", that the cabin was fairly silent and that many began to pray.

It really hit home to me just what those folks went through.  I began to wonder what I would have done!?  I'm sure shock is the first thing I would experience, but with military training and a strong will to live, I would have prayed while analyzing the situation, if alone.  Had my family been with me, I believe it would have been much worse. 

How about you?

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#1 : January 16, 2009, 08:33:59 AM

I really don't know what I would do. I used to think I was ready to die at any time. Recently I have changed my opinion. I guess the more life experience I have gained the more I realize I want to be around to accomplish certain things. I don't know if that's the normal way of looking at things or not, but when I was younger I didn't care if I was around tomorrow. I just figured I did the best I could while I was around.

I've recently gotten more religious. I like to look at things logically and even though I suck at science and math I get excited about facts, evidence, and astounded by numbers. The human element, however, is even more exciting. I think a rediscovery of this and the beauty of our existence is an awesome thing. I never lost faith that there are factors at play which are beyond my or any other human's comprehension, however, at times I certainly questioned the origin. Everyone should question: good questions are building blocks for the foundation of personal knowledge, and, for me, satisfaction.

That said, I would probably pray. Probably not for life, though. I would probably pray for the best outcome possible and whatever God's will would be for me. I can't control life/death. Sad as it might be that's what I'm feeling these days.

loweredexpectations

Starter
#2 : January 16, 2009, 09:43:09 AM

would've went for the beer tray and fired up a smoke with a smile.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 16, 2009, 10:15:26 AM

When I get on a plane, assuming I'm not already in an exit row, my first act is to figure out how to get off the plane if things go wrong. Figure how many rows and in what direction I have to go so I can get out by feel alone. Figure out if there are fat or old people who will bog the process down if I'm sort of equi-distant.

I fly alot so I've had a lot of time to ponder this crap.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

InChuckyITrust

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 16, 2009, 11:08:22 AM

I would be scared out of my mind.  Like Dal, I have spent considerable time thinking about this stuff.  Im pretty tall, about 6'2 or so, so I always request the emergency seat.  If I cant get it, I sometimes even go up to the person sitting there and ask if they would mind switching with me.  Either way, due to my size and own peace of mind, I sit at the exit row on just about every flight I possibly can.  I think they need to do a very good job of making sure whoever is sitting at the seat is healthy and "athletic" enough to be able to rip that door off in a hurry.  Not saying they dont now, but you could imagine how big of a factor that could be in something like this.  Sounds like the pilot did a great job.  Thank god for the Hudson river.  If that plane had to try and pull that same landing on solid ground he would have been touching down in North Jersey, the Bronx, or Manhattan.  Let me tell you, if that happened, there would have been mass casualties.

"there are no medals here for who can stay at the office the longest," said Jagodzinski. "I'm not into that. The guys that brag about working till 2 in the morning, in my opinion, they're just not smart enough. "

18,2,25,13 ... murderers row?

I support coach Calhoun and his salary

kmitchell

Starter

#5 : January 16, 2009, 12:42:16 PM

I would get high off the oxygen and sit back and enjoy my last few minutes.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 16, 2009, 12:44:53 PM

I'd be thinking about who's gonna feed my dogs..

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#7 : January 16, 2009, 01:11:12 PM

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

kmitchell

Starter

#8 : January 16, 2009, 01:14:57 PM

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

If you are going to  die, mine as well make the best of it. No point in panicking.

kevabuc

Hall of Famer

#9 : January 16, 2009, 01:39:49 PM

I'd brace for impact while texting my broker to short sell the Airlines stock.

\"The budget should be balanced; the treasury should be refilled; public debt should be reduced; and the arrogance of public officials should be controlled.\" -Cicero. 106-43 B.C.

kevabuc

Hall of Famer

#10 : January 16, 2009, 01:45:29 PM

I'd brace for impact while texting my broker to short sell the Airlines stock.

Or would this be considered "insider information", I need a ruling...

(never quoted my own post before, its a new sensation kind of like going commando)

\"The budget should be balanced; the treasury should be refilled; public debt should be reduced; and the arrogance of public officials should be controlled.\" -Cicero. 106-43 B.C.

kmitchell

Starter

#11 : January 16, 2009, 01:59:49 PM

I'd be embarrassed being on network television around the world with crap stains in my pants.

MBF

Hall of Famer

#12 : January 16, 2009, 02:05:43 PM

I would get high off the oxygen and sit back and enjoy my last few minutes.

Good thinking.

NovaBuc

Starter

#13 : January 16, 2009, 04:01:53 PM

Like one of the posters above, I always request the emergency exit row if it is available. If I was in the row, I'd be bracing for impact and preparing to get the door open as fast as I could to get everyone out. If not in the exit row, I'd be evaluating where my best exit opportunity would be and if there was anyone who looked like they might need help within a row or two of me. Once a boy scout, always a boy scout I s'pose. I'd be concetrating on surviving and helping others rather than thinking the worst. In the few bad situations I've been in, that's the way I've reacted at least.. no plane crashes or plane incidents thus far knock on wood.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#14 : January 17, 2009, 12:11:24 AM

I've been doing a lot of airline travel on second-rate airlines so the thought of crashing always is on my mind - usually during take off.  If I got the word to prepare for impact, I THINK I'd **CENSORED** my pants, throw up, then cry like a little girl. However, in reality, I'd hope I'd just prepare for impact, and thank God for a wonderful life.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "BRACE FOR IMPACT!"......What Would You Do? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools