Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Most Mocks have us taking Calvin Johnson « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 7 8 9

Shag

Pro Bowler

#120 : January 17, 2007, 02:36:47 PM

Still don't like Freeney. I think he's good because the Colts play with massive leads. Mathis puts up 10 sacks a year on that defense too. The Bucs are not a scoring machine.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#121 : January 17, 2007, 02:39:29 PM

Freeney was giving teams fits in college so it is not just the Colts offense inflating his pass rush ability.  Mathis is a good player but his speed is even better going against right tackles who are not as good as the left tackles that Freeney faces.

boredomkills01

Pro Bowler

#122 : January 17, 2007, 02:40:05 PM

I would love to see CJ in Pewter and red.... I agree that the O and D line are HUGE needs right now, But I also believe that reaching for a player based on needs is a HUGE mistake.... If CJ is there Snag em...PLEASE~!

I Like Freeney a lot actually....

$$$

Shag

Pro Bowler

#123 : January 17, 2007, 02:44:33 PM

Freeney was giving teams fits in college so it is not just the Colts offense inflating his pass rush ability.  Mathis is a good player but his speed is even better going against right tackles who are not as good as the left tackles that Freeney faces.

I'm not saying he's not good, just that you can't look at his stats and say he will do that for any team. He gets every chance to pad his stats with that offense. It's really what he adds to a defense, and he would have to be surrounded with some size or else teams will run all over him. They can get away with that on the Colts sometimes, but with our offense we can't.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#124 : January 17, 2007, 03:44:36 PM

Still don't like Freeney. I think he's good because the Colts play with massive leads. Mathis puts up 10 sacks a year on that defense too. The Bucs are not a scoring machine.

how can you not lioke Freeney? Have you watched him play? Dude is the fastest player around the edge that I've seen since LT. He's ridiculous. The reason your notion is off-base along is the oppositon has 1 person to game-plan for, Freeney. I know this year hasn't been his best but he's got a target on his chest every game just like Rice. Freeney is an instant game-changer and would make this defense with Rice as formidable as they come next year.

boredomkills01

Pro Bowler

#125 : January 17, 2007, 04:51:01 PM

Well your argument is pertaining to his stats....I personally don't look at his stats to make my judgement on him, my Judgement is made on actual game play... and When i watch the dude As Keepon said he looks like the road runner out there... Guy can burn, And in keeping with the Typical bucs D-lineman MO i think the guy would be a PERFECT fit... I would take him over Simeon in a heart beat by the way!

I'm not saying he's not good, just that you can't look at his stats and say he will do that for any team. He gets every chance to pad his stats with that offense. It's really what he adds to a defense, and he would have to be surrounded with some size or else teams will run all over him. They can get away with that on the Colts sometimes, but with our offense we can't.

$$$

nitey

Hall of Famer
#126 : December 22, 2009, 12:53:01 PM

I thought I'd bring up a 'blast from the past' to see what draft mania was back in 2007 when we looking at the 4th pick in the draft.

Some posters should look at what they said then about some of the top choices back then. It's also interesting on how the board was convinced we would end up with either Joe Thomas or Calvin and how few even considered that both of them could be gone by the time we picked.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#127 : December 22, 2009, 02:12:16 PM

I thought I'd bring up a 'blast from the past' to see what draft mania was back in 2007 when we looking at the 4th pick in the draft.

Some posters should look at what they said then about some of the top choices back then. It's also interesting on how the board was convinced we would end up with either Joe Thomas or Calvin and how few even considered that both of them could be gone by the time we picked.

confirmation bias.  everybody wanted a certain thing, and so you look most closely at the pieces of info that support what you hope will happen.  it's less "will the lions take CJ" and more "what's the scenario where CJ falls to us" and then searching for the evidence to make it realistic.

that being said, gaines adams to the lions seemed realistic at the time, which made all of that speculation about thomas or CJ possible.

but, just like now, we're presuming that multiple teams will pass on a player that we desperately want even though he's been dubbed a "generational player" at his position.

i can't wait for the draft to come and go so that instead of speculating on who we'll pick, fans can get to the business of laying into that player and constantly declare him a bustdisappointmentembarrassment for some reason or other

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#128 : December 22, 2009, 02:22:28 PM

Russell's style of play reminds me a lot of Ben Roethlisberger. I would not be suprised if Gruden falls in love with another QB either. ;)

Ouch. Little off there, ADW.

Then again, I had this priceless gem, "I'm actually really surprised Peterson (as in Adrian Peterson) is garnering such attention considering his injury history."

Page: 1 ... 7 8 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Most Mocks have us taking Calvin Johnson « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools