Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Most Mocks have us taking Calvin Johnson « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9

gharen

Pro Bowler

#30 : January 16, 2007, 12:30:18 AM

I don't know about that. I think most thought we would take Caddy.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#31 : January 16, 2007, 12:54:44 AM

I think Joe Thomas stock has dropped with Gruden for not playing in the Senior Bowl if you ask me.
True dat.

T

Hall of Famer

#32 : January 16, 2007, 12:57:58 AM

All the pundits were right predicting us to take Caddy and we did so I think CJ in Pewter & Red is a given unless a defender has a killer combine or CJ goes all maurice Clarett on someone.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#33 : January 16, 2007, 01:09:20 AM

What exactly is a pundit?

And well, CJ is never going to have character issues.  Unless his mom turns all Momma McNabb on us...then we might just make stuff up to slice him up with.  Seriously, is Momma McNabb a bit too much?  I find her a bit...well...meddling.

You Got BUCd Up

Second String

#34 : January 16, 2007, 02:08:20 AM

What exactly is a pundit?

a person who makes comments or judgments, esp. in an authoritative manner; critic or commentator.

"People make themselves out to be idiots... I'm just here to help them realize it."

Hallelujah holla back...

#35 : January 16, 2007, 03:07:21 AM

Boid,
        Chunky Soup Queen!  Donovan has to suck on the barrel everytime one of those commercials come on.  I think that commercial is like the Madden covers.... Its a curse! Not that I care 'cause I hate McBobblehead (he has a life size bobblehead head(?) - does that make sense? [banghead] [banghead] [banghead]

escobar

Hall of Famer

#36 : January 16, 2007, 03:12:36 AM

The way I see it, CJ has got to be the pick. I agree with those who say DL and OL are bigger needs but that doesn't mean we need to draft either one. First off IMO Dline is the bigger need simply because defense is this teams strength and the dline is the most important unit. I've seen Gaines Adams listed in the top five for months but after the bowls I saw that he had slipped in several mocks, and I just don't think he is worth the 3/4 pick. The reason I don't think we should take Thomas if both he and CJ are there is because I don't know enough about future draft classes and future FA's.  If CJ is indeed the can't miss prospect many are claiming him to be then IMO we can pass on our biggest need (DL,OL) in order to secure a player that could be head and shoulders above the next WR we could target in FA or future drafts.

Simply put, when a prospect like CJ comes out I think you take him regardless of need. The fact that he happens to be a need as well, even though not the biggest one, it still makes the decision that much easier. Maybe it's the fact that Gallery was such a bust and I have that in the back of my mind when I think of Thomas, but I think CJ needs to be the pick. If he turns into a TO with better hands and a better attitude it's going to be pretty hard to take while watching our new LT Thomas trying to buy time for a group of very subpar receivers.

#37 : January 16, 2007, 03:23:25 AM

Simply put, when a prospect like CJ comes out I think you take him regardless of need.

Using that theory the teams picking ahead of us will take CJ, so the subject is moot.  Russell is also a very rare talent/specimen who would be hard to pass on according to Bruce Allen.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#38 : January 16, 2007, 08:09:20 AM

Calvin is a beast, IMO, we don't have the luxury to pick him.  The mocks are going off of the "Gruden is an offensive genius" deal.  I'd be shocked and appalled if we didn't get J. Thomas...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#39 : January 16, 2007, 09:07:36 AM

Simply put, when a prospect like CJ comes out I think you take him regardless of need.

Using that theory the teams picking ahead of us will take CJ, so the subject is moot. Russell is also a very rare talent/specimen who would be hard to pass on according to Bruce Allen.

Russell's style of play reminds me a lot of Ben Roethlisberger.  I would not be suprised if Gruden falls in love with another QB either. ;)

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#40 : January 16, 2007, 09:16:36 AM

If CJ is indeed the can't miss prospect many are claiming him to be then IMO we can pass on our biggest need (DL,OL) in order to secure a player that could be head and shoulders above the next WR we could target in FA or future drafts.

This is the problem, CJ isn't gonna be that transcendent. For my money Torry Holt is the best WR in the game. If we draft Calvin I hope he's as good as Torry Holt. Any assumption he's gonna be orders of magnitude better than Holt reflect some deep divergence from reality. He averages around 1300 yards per season once you toss his rookie year out the window. He's large, period. Getting a guy who does 1200 yards gets you close to what Holt does production-wise. You are losing less than 10 ypg at that point. Thing is last year 7 guys hit 1200 yards+.  9 guys did it in 2005. 11 did it in 2004. 7 did it in 2003.

In other words, even Torry Holt level production which is HoF doesn't make Calvin transcendent. It really makes him top 1/3 of the league. It is just hard for a WR to dominate a game because on a good day they have their hands on the ball 10 plays per game. A LOT, more than a QB, is involved in every play because him screwing up messes up any play no matter who the WR, QB or RB is.

BTW, if anyone doubts the LOT did you watch what McNeil did to both Ty Warren, a great run stuffer, and Richard Seymour Sunday? Yeah, that was impressive and it only made me cry a little bit we could have had that player instead of Davin.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

BucFanMatt

Starter
#41 : January 16, 2007, 09:34:39 AM

I wish the Bucs had drafted Marcus McNeil last year.  As much as I like Davin Joseph, I think they made a pretty serious blunder.

\"Those who would trade freedom for security deserve neither\" -- Benjamin Franklin

Buc Wylde

Hall of Famer

#42 : January 16, 2007, 09:40:52 AM

I was a little confused by the Davin pick as well. Seemed like the Clayton pick a few years back. Who's this guy again?
What this team needs is a player with iron balls, an attitude and the demeanor of a Tasmanian devil. Whether it be in receiving corps, D-line or O-line, I want to see someone come in here and light a fire under some asses.
McNeil is insane -- shoulda - woulda - coulda
Stephen Jackson -- same scenario

Give me a guy with an appetite for destruction and the balls to eat the other team and we'll be in good shape.

Quote from: Raheem Morris
We got to get better at doing something, and that is what we have to set our focus on and that is something to get better at. That\\\\\\\'s what we are trying to do right now.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#43 : January 16, 2007, 09:42:25 AM

In other words, even Torry Holt level production which is HoF doesn't make Calvin transcendent. It really makes him top 1/3 of the league. It is just hard for a WR to dominate a game because on a good day they have their hands on the ball 10 plays per game. A LOT, more than a QB, is involved in every play because him screwing up messes up any play no matter who the WR, QB or RB is.

I agree 100%. This is exactly why the Bucs shouldn't look at taking Calvin. I've said it before, you build a team from the inside out not the other way around. Just look at Detroit. Damn, I agree with Dal way too much lately.

Buc Wylde

Hall of Famer

#44 : January 16, 2007, 09:48:49 AM

I agree 100%. This is exactly why the Bucs shouldn't look at taking Calvin. I've said it before, you build a team from the inside out not the other way around. Just look at Detroit. Damn, I agree with Dal way too much lately.

What FA receivers would you like to see brought in? I can agree with all that is being said relating to CJ, but I'm not sure if thats a hole we can fill via FA.  Stovall is getting better and should play a big role next year. Galloway is older than I am and Clayton... well, lets just skip him. Brackins? Warren?

Quote from: Raheem Morris
We got to get better at doing something, and that is what we have to set our focus on and that is something to get better at. That\\\\\\\'s what we are trying to do right now.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Most Mocks have us taking Calvin Johnson « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools