Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Fantasy Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Question -- legal or no HELP!!! « previous next »
Page: 1

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

: December 09, 2008, 06:54:26 PM

Controversy in my FF league. A guy who had clinched a playoff spot basically started two backup starters-- but starters none the less--Orton over P Manning, Shiancoe over Gonzales. He did it in an effort to effect the playoffs which he is in. There was three way tie for the 6th seed. The guy leading in points has third highest pt total in the league but crap record. All that guy had to do was win his game. He lost his last 3. The other guy was playing the guy that clinched and the guy that clinched did the above. When asked he admits he did it to effect who got in and who he has a better shot to beat. Says it his right to do that as rules states he has to start a lineup. These players were on his team all year and not waiver wire guys he picked up. And he did start them other times during the year when thetre was a beneficial matchup. He says its a game and the point of the game is to win. States NFL rests players all the time to effect games- ie: Cleveland getting screwed last year. States he paid his money to get in the league, it is his fantasy, and no one has the right to tell him who he can and can't start. He says it's a game and he is in it to win it all.

Of course the guy who is out is pissed and the guy who is in is pissed.

If you were commish what would you do.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#1 : December 09, 2008, 07:37:42 PM

Tell him to find another fantasy league next year.

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

#2 : December 09, 2008, 08:01:13 PM

But I actually see his point - he basically threw a game that had no bearing on him to guarantee himself a better matchup in week 1 of the playoffs. Actually it was not a guarantee- if the guy who is out won his game which this guy had no control of he would have been in on the tiebreaker being points. The guy says it's a game and the point is to win it all.

How do you argue that?

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#3 : December 09, 2008, 09:24:30 PM

It's called keeping your league's integrity intact.  Throwing games is bush league.  If you want to allow it go ahead ... it's your league

JC510

Practice Squad

#4 : December 10, 2008, 07:03:16 PM

Let it stand.

loweredexpectations

Starter
#5 : December 11, 2008, 12:45:44 AM

this isn't nascar.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#6 : December 11, 2008, 03:13:47 PM

Like I said ... you may not be able to do much this year, but he'd be gone next if it was my league ... especially with the arrogant retort.

kmitchell

Starter

#7 : December 11, 2008, 05:30:35 PM

I would guess that the guy who lost on purpose was bribed by the team who could get in if the guy lost. I would not let that guy play in my league next year.

#8 : December 13, 2008, 04:08:52 PM

But I actually see his point - he basically threw a game that had no bearing on him to guarantee himself a better matchup in week 1 of the playoffs. Actually it was not a guarantee- if the guy who is out won his game which this guy had no control of he would have been in on the tiebreaker being points. The guy says it's a game and the point is to win it all.

How do you argue that?

Agreed!!!

The guy that he "wanted" in the playoffs may kick is azz when they meet. As long as the guy set a lineup, can't argue with it.

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

#9 : December 13, 2008, 10:50:19 PM

How do you argue that?

Agreed!!!

The guy that he "wanted" in the playoffs may kick is azz when they meet. As long as the guy set a lineup, can't argue with it.

I went on my commissioners message board and posted the same ???. Overwhelming majority said he has every right to do it. In fact most said it was a solid strategy. I let it stand. He did not break any rules. May be a little shady but it is a solid strategy. He paid his dues and has every right to try and win the pot- which is the point of playing the game.

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#10 : December 14, 2008, 06:43:48 PM

Like I said ... you may not be able to do much this year, but he'd be gone next if it was my league ... especially with the arrogant retort.

agreed

gdavis

Starter

#11 : December 16, 2008, 03:58:41 PM

Those PlayStation All-Americans up there thinking they know football because they watched a game on TV.
--B. Bowden

HughC

Pro Bowler

#12 : February 23, 2009, 05:25:58 PM

Not against the rules, so let it stand.  Prior to next year decide if it needs to be addressed with a new by-law.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#13 : February 08, 2009, 02:46:20 PM

He didn't throw the game.  Throwing the game would have been starting nobody.  It's not inconceivable that Orton could outscore Manning or Shianco outscore Gonzo. 

We had a "situation" this year in a money league.  A few in the league thought a guy was "dead," so they petitioned (and successfully) the commish to alter his lineup to save the "integrity of the league.".  They didn't like the fact that he had Harrison in over Owens one week and the QB he had in (drawing a blank).  Needless to say, Harrison blew up and Owens got pretty much nothing, and his QB choice did better than the one "switched" to.  He lost that week by like 5 points.  Had his lineup not been changed he would have won big. The guy returned from vacation the next week, flipped out. Eventually commish changed his lineup back....it pissed off the guy who "won" because the loss ensured him a spot on the sidelines during the playoffs.  But, it was the right thing to do as he has a choice to set his lineup as he sees fit....not who the league "thinks" he should be starting.  On the surface you wouldn't normally start who he did, but it worked out. 

TRJ997

Second String

#14 : February 13, 2009, 04:34:45 PM

This is not against the rules. Its a little Bush League, in my opinion, but not enough to get the guy booted next year.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Fantasy Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Question -- legal or no HELP!!! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools