Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Yasinskas on the firing « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

acacius

Hall of Famer

#15 : January 19, 2009, 11:43:37 AM

Acacius, no you won't. Fans use ''solid direction'' as a smokescreen for younger. If younger doesn't pan out quickly, you throw the new guy under the bus just like the old guy.
So PLEASE be patient.

Um, no.  I won't.  (Throw him under the bus if things don't pan out quickly.  Nor do I remember throwing any old guys under the bus either.)  Please don't presume to speak for me.  

The whole point of my post was that we need to show Morris some patience and write him off if the team doesn't come out and start winning playoff games immediately.  

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#16 : January 19, 2009, 11:57:38 AM

Jay Glazer appears to back all this up:

How blindsided were Bucs head coach Jon Gruden and GM Bruce Allen with their sudden Friday firings?

Sources told FOX Sports that Gruden had been interviewing prospective assistant coaches and actually hired former Bucs and Lions assistant Joe Barry about two hours before he was fired. Barry went as far as signing the deal then got on a plane only to land to the news that his new boss was now his new fired boss.

In addition, Gruden had told his assistants late in the week that he met with ownership and they had another year to right the Bucs' ship. That prediction obviously did not come to fruition.

So where exactly did it go wrong with Chucky? First, ownership was clearly angered by how the season concluded. Usually the coach meets with the owner the day after the season comes to a close. However, the Glazers didn't meet with Gruden until the middle of this past week. Thus, it took them nearly three weeks to finally sit and deal with their Super Bowl winning coach.

In the end, Gruden was hardly backed up by the players, who were brutally honest with ownership when asked about their head coach. There was a very strong lack of trust between veterans and youngsters alike and the veterans especially, in meetings with the Glazers, made their opinions known.

New head coach Raheem Morris may look like a youngster, but he was on the fast track to a head coaching job in this league. His closest friend is Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin and the two share many of the same leadership traits and football ideas. He interviewed for the Broncos head coaching gig and many believed he was just a year or two away from getting a gig.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9098004/If-needed,-Spagnuolo-has-outs-in-St.-Louis

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#17 : January 19, 2009, 04:43:36 PM

More good stuff from PY:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcsouth/0-7-114/Mailbag--Morris-Gruden-special-edition.html

John Myers in Brooksville, FL writes: Hi Pat, Your article, "Bucs taking calculated risk with Morris" was very good, however I noticed that Morris didn't want to say what offense or defense he would use. And those are very important questions.

Pat Yasinskas: In his introductory news conference, Raheem Morris was extremely vague about what schemes he'll use on offense and defense. My guess is the defense won't change dramatically. Morris was schooled in the Monte Kiffin system, which worked so well for so long in Tampa Bay. The bigger question is what the Bucs will do offensively and I think there could be a departure from Gruden's West Coast offense, and that might not be a bad idea because it wasn't putting up big results. We'll find out soon enough. Also, give my regards to everyone in Brooksville. That's the town where I got started in this business and I have many fond memories of Hernando County. In fact, I was up there the other day, laying the groundwork for a story on the late, great Jerome Brown that we were going to do if the Eagles had made it to the Super Bowl. That story's on hold for now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom in Asbury Park writes: If the Bucs are able to bring back Jeff Garcia for one more year and draft a quarterback like Mark Sanchez who could be put under the wing of Garcia, couldn't they find success in 2009. I believe, unlike most, that there will be immediate success with Morris. Monte Kiffin gave him a mind, Gruden gave him the fire, and Tomlin gave him the ability to relate. Please Pat, just tell me that we're heading into another 2006 season.

Pat Yasinskas: Gruden would never draft a quarterback, at least not early, and that might have been part of the reason for his downfall. I think the new administration realizes the Bucs need a long-term plan at this position and I like the scenario you proposed. I also wouldn't be surprised if Morris has immediate success. Just look at what Mike Smith and John Harbaugh did in their first seasons.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff in Tampa writes: Pat - based on my calculations - the TBB's will win their next Superbowl in 2028 ( every 26 years ) ? Wow we will be in a new stadium by then . Raheem Morris is not the answer - agree ?

Pat Yasinskas: Give Morris a chance. The other way sure wasn't working.

Travis in Asheville writes: Now with Jon Gruden out, what do you think the odds are that Michael Clayton might return to the Bucs next year? I've always been a fan of the good blocking wide receivers.

Pat Yasinskas: Had Gruden stayed, there was no chance of Clayton returning. Now, I think it's a decent possibility. The guy has some talent and might thrive in a situation where he's not feuding with his coach.

Noah in Lakeland, FL writes: Hey Pat, what happens to Joe Barry now? Does he become the new defensive co-ordinator, or is there a possibility that Marinelli comes in as the new co-ordinator?

Pat Yasinskas: All indications are Barry will be the linebackers coach. The Bucs haven't confirmed it yet, but John Clayton and I reported Friday night that Gary Gibbs is joining Tampa Bay, presumably as the defensive coordinator.

DB in Newman CA writes: I have been reading your blog for the last year and a half and enjoy it very much. Thank you. Will your attitude toward the Buc change much now that Gruden is gone? I might be a bit off but I have felt that there has been a slght dislike for the Bucs and Gruden in general. It is understandable if you like many felt that Dungy got a raw deal with the Bucs and how McKay was pushed out by Gruden was unfair.

Pat Yasinskas: Hey, from my perspective as a writer, I liked Gruden. The guy was a great quote and always entertaining. After covering the bland John Fox for so long, Gruden was refreshing because he always had something to say. If I was critical of him, it was probably because his team was in the middle of an epic collapse and there was plenty of room to question him.

Mark Hurst in Davisburg, MI writes: I have been a Buc fan since the beginning in '76. Even by Culverhouse standards, the timing of the Gruden firing is mystifying, as is the apparent naming of Raheem Morris as successor. Your point reassuring fans that the Glazers still care about the Bucs, since the move will cost them $25 Million in remaining contract commitment, is well-taken. However, have you considered that they may be cleaning house in preparation to sell the team? Easier to sell with as few liabilities on the books as possible, and they would be able to bury some of the $25M in the asking price. Just remember where you heard it first...

Pat Yasinskas: The rumors about the Glazers selling the Bucs have been flying, off and on, for several years. Nothing's happened and I don't anticipate anything happening anytime soon. No matter what a lot of people think, I believe the Glazers care very much about the Bucs. And one more point to support my theory: Wouldn't having a big-name coach like Gruden have made the team more attractive to potential buyers if the Glazers really were trying to unload the Bucs?

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#18 : January 21, 2009, 01:14:31 PM

Keepon - honestly I have no issue with Raheem and Mark - but the ownership - they need to find a way to manage change without the drama and emergency management crap.  Depending on one's perspective - this is like the 3rd or 4th GM and HC emergency plan in 7 years - tired of the bs - either get involved and stay involved or sell the damned franchise.  And my wish would be the sale bc I don't think these guys have "it"

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

#19 : January 21, 2009, 09:33:45 AM

I'm guessing Tampa Bay fans won't mind because they'll have a coach and general manager who actually are following a plan.

And with a plan as elaborate and well thought out as "score touchdowns," it's hard to see how it could possibly fail.

Pat Yasinskas: In his introductory news conference, Raheem Morris was extremely vague about what schemes he'll use on offense and defense. My guess is the defense won't change dramatically. Morris was schooled in the Monte Kiffin system, which worked so well for so long in Tampa Bay. The bigger question is what the Bucs will do offensively and I think there could be a departure from Gruden's West Coast offense, and that might not be a bad idea because it wasn't putting up big results. We'll find out soon enough.

Oh, wait, turns out he's only guessing that they have a plan. Good work Yasinskas, ya frickin buffoon.

What absolute, utter crap. I am becoming less and less amused with the antics of of this team's 'roll the dice and hope it works out' ownership.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#20 : January 21, 2009, 09:43:39 AM

illuminator, do you think that morris is just drawing doodles in his notebook?  or do you think he and dominick are sitting down talking about who they want as coodinators and why?  just because they arent telling the public what they would like to do, doesnt mean they dont have a clue.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#21 : January 21, 2009, 09:47:31 AM

Didn't see this posted anywhere...P. Yasinskas seemed to have a pretty good read on the situation...

I think that was Jeff Garcia I saw doing cartwheels up and down Dale Mabry Highway when the firing was announced.

Is he kidding? Gruden supposedly wanted to bring Jeff back for 2009. The chances of that happening under Morris are not very good, IMO. How many other coaches in this league would consider starting Garcia for the 2009 season?

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#22 : January 21, 2009, 09:53:12 AM

Here is the thing that got my interest.  Why did the Bucs just flat out fire Gruden without even allowing him an interview?  Many posters here with "inside" information claimed that the Glazers and Gruden were great friends and that his job has never been in doubt?  Well it appears they were wrong on both accounts.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#23 : January 21, 2009, 09:54:17 AM

Didn't see this posted anywhere...P. Yasinskas seemed to have a pretty good read on the situation...

I think that was Jeff Garcia I saw doing cartwheels up and down Dale Mabry Highway when the firing was announced.

Is he kidding? Gruden supposedly wanted to bring Jeff back for 2009. The chances of that happening under Morris are not very good, IMO. How many other coaches in this league would consider starting Garcia for the 2009 season?

Yasinkas and good read in the same sentence - wow - there is a first.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

#24 : January 21, 2009, 10:04:59 AM

illuminator, do you think that morris is just drawing doodles in his notebook? 

No, I think he's desperately scrambling to catch up because he was as unprepared for this as ownership was.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#25 : January 21, 2009, 10:05:42 AM

Maybe not having a plan is the plan?

J/K, I know they have a plan and anyone who feels otherwise might need to step back and evaluate their mentals.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#26 : January 21, 2009, 10:06:13 AM

No, I think he's desperately scrambling to catch up because he was as unprepared for this as ownership was.

A little dramatic don't you think?

#27 : January 21, 2009, 10:14:30 AM

A little dramatic don't you think?

Not in the least. This whole thing was dropped in his lap, there's no way he could have been ready. Now we're trying to patch a staff together out of the leftovers. I lack confidence that this is the formula for success.

J/K, I know they have a plan and anyone who feels otherwise might need to step back and evaluate their mentals.

How exactly do you know this? Your horoscope, magic eight ball, or was it spelled out in your alphabet soup? And since you know about the plan, could you maybe tell us whether we're going to stick with the WCO or not?

No, you can't, can you? Because in spite of your empty words, you don't "know" a damned thing. All indicators point to this as an unplanned, desperation move.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#28 : January 21, 2009, 10:22:03 AM

Not in the least. This whole thing was dropped in his lap, there's no way he could have been ready. Now we're trying to patch a staff together out of the leftovers. I lack confidence that this is the formula for success.

Because in spite of your empty words, you don't "know" a damned thing. All indicators point to this as an unplanned, desperation move.

i think the fact that morris has interviewed for a HC position, and supposedly inteviewed well means that he has an idea of what he wants to do as a coach.  who did we miss on with our staff by waiting?  i think that the PUBLIC doesnt know a thing, but those in the new FO have a pretty good idea of what they want to do.  why do they need to tell the PUBLIC who they are going to hire before they hire?  why does a defensive minded HC need to tell the PUBLIC exactly how the offense will be run?

i for one would rather let morris/dominick put together a staff and let them coordinate.  let morris lead.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#29 : January 21, 2009, 10:41:34 AM

When you wish upon a star... this Disney song just popped into my head while reading here...

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Yasinskas on the firing « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools