Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Yasinskas on the firing « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#30 : January 21, 2009, 10:58:31 AM

How exactly do you know this? Your horoscope, magic eight ball, or was it spelled out in your alphabet soup? And since you know about the plan, could you maybe tell us whether we're going to stick with the WCO or not?

No, you can't, can you? Because in spite of your empty words, you don't "know" a damned thing. All indicators point to this as an unplanned, desperation move.

Why are you so angry? Maybe you should worry about getting laid before coming back here.

How do you know there isn't a plan? Sure, this came down quick but to think a plan can't come together within a few weeks is silly. Not everything in business falls perfectly into place, in fact, most things don't. They have to do this on the fly and until it's proven that this was a horrific mistake you have to trust the Glazers on this.

What plan would you want? If the owners didn't like the direction of the team you have applaud them in making this move. It's a risk, as in all business decisions, but that is what they get paid the big money for.

Morris and Dom have had thoughts on how they would run things, I'm sure of it. Anyone who has dreams of whatever has thought about how they would do things once in that position.

#31 : January 21, 2009, 03:18:13 PM

Very good post and great read.
Im really looking forward to FA, Draft and next season right now.

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#32 : January 21, 2009, 04:26:29 PM

In looking back at that now, I'm guessing these "assistant coaches" that were interviewed were on the defensive side of the ball b/c the offensive side got wiped out in the aftermath...

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#33 : January 21, 2009, 05:33:26 PM

Keepon - honestly I have no issue with Raheem and Mark - but the ownership - they need to find a way to manage change without the drama and emergency management crap.  Depending on one's perspective - this is like the 3rd or 4th GM and HC emergency plan in 7 years - tired of the a subject for debate - either get involved and stay involved or sell the damned franchise.  And my wish would be the sale bc I don't think these guys have "it"

wouldnt this situation be considered no drama?  they didnt kneejerk and fire gruden/allen.  and they already had their successors lined up.  seems like the owners knew what they wanted, knew they could get it, and went for it.  they've gone from a "players coach" to a "coaches coach" and now back to a "players coach" so the atmosphere at OBP stays fresh.  im excited.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#34 : January 21, 2009, 05:39:35 PM

Jeez, sammy did we really need another opinion on this particular subject?

#35 : January 21, 2009, 06:31:12 PM

The thing is that there had to be come precipitating event between the end of the season and the firing. Cold and calculating is one thing but 3 weeks is too long.

Strike 1 is no playoff wins since 2002
Strike 2 was the December collapse

There had to be a strike 3 between the Oakland game and now because the lag is just way too over the top for "careful" consideration. It might not have been that day but something, the week before for example, caused them to re-evaluate

Pulling the rug out from under Luke prior to the Atlanta game played a role as well, IMO.

*Part of Gruden's problem might have been that he was a bit of a showman and people stopped buying that when he didn't win a playoff game after the Super Bowl. They also stopped buying it when, year after year, Gruden and Allen just patched together the Bucs without anything that looked remotely close to a long-term plan.

I don't know how anyone can argue that assessment.

*Give credit to the Glazers for keeping an open mind on this and not just going out and hiring the biggest name.

You mean big name doesn't mean best coach? Some will never believe that.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#36 : January 22, 2009, 08:37:29 AM

*Give credit to the Glazers for keeping an open mind on this and not just going out and hiring the biggest name.

You mean big name doesn't mean best coach? Some will never believe that.

ain't that the truth.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#37 : January 22, 2009, 09:55:46 AM

Pulling the rug out from under Luke prior to the Atlanta game played a role as well, IMO.

Hate, I think you would be correct. It is my understanding that this was something that bothered a lot of people. To some it seemed foolish to prepare one QB extensively and then at the last minute make a switch. It left many people within the organization scratching their heads and questioning the man who made the decision.

mjpwooo

Pro Bowler

#38 : January 22, 2009, 10:06:04 AM

Jay Glazer appears to back all this up:

How blindsided were Bucs head coach Jon Gruden and GM Bruce Allen with their sudden Friday firings?

Sources told FOX Sports that Gruden had been interviewing prospective assistant coaches and actually hired former Bucs and Lions assistant Joe Barry about two hours before he was fired. Barry went as far as signing the deal then got on a plane only to land to the news that his new boss was now his new fired boss.

In addition, Gruden had told his assistants late in the week that he met with ownership and they had another year to right the Bucs' ship. That prediction obviously did not come to fruition.

So where exactly did it go wrong with Chucky? First, ownership was clearly angered by how the season concluded. Usually the coach meets with the owner the day after the season comes to a close. However, the Glazers didn't meet with Gruden until the middle of this past week. Thus, it took them nearly three weeks to finally sit and deal with their Super Bowl winning coach.

In the end, Gruden was hardly backed up by the players, who were brutally honest with ownership when asked about their head coach. There was a very strong lack of trust between veterans and youngsters alike and the veterans especially, in meetings with the Glazers, made their opinions known.

New head coach Raheem Morris may look like a youngster, but he was on the fast track to a head coaching job in this league. His closest friend is Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin and the two share many of the same leadership traits and football ideas. He interviewed for the Broncos head coaching gig and many believed he was just a year or two away from getting a gig.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9098004/If-needed,-Spagnuolo-has-outs-in-St.-Louis

Am I the only one that finds it a LITTLE troubling that the Glazers would tell Gruden one thing (you're job is safe) and then interview others and change their minds on this?  Not saying it wasn't the right decision, not saying they didn't act deliberately, but it makes me a bit uncomfortable that they did a complete backtrack.

How did that conversation go: Jon, even though we said you've got another year, we're firing you now.

Bad form.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#39 : January 22, 2009, 10:07:52 AM

Hate, I think you would be correct. It is my understanding that this was something that bothered a lot of people. To some it seemed foolish to prepare one QB extensively and then at the last minute make a switch. It left many people within the organization scratching their heads and questioning the man who made the decision.

That had to be the straw, no question. To put a hobbled arm SoB out there against a poor ATL secondary after giving Luke all reps was outright straight crazy.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#40 : January 22, 2009, 10:08:56 AM

Jay Glazer appears to back all this up:

How blindsided were Bucs head coach Jon Gruden and GM Bruce Allen with their sudden Friday firings?

Sources told FOX Sports that Gruden had been interviewing prospective assistant coaches and actually hired former Bucs and Lions assistant Joe Barry about two hours before he was fired. Barry went as far as signing the deal then got on a plane only to land to the news that his new boss was now his new fired boss.

In addition, Gruden had told his assistants late in the week that he met with ownership and they had another year to right the Bucs' ship. That prediction obviously did not come to fruition.

So where exactly did it go wrong with Chucky? First, ownership was clearly angered by how the season concluded. Usually the coach meets with the owner the day after the season comes to a close. However, the Glazers didn't meet with Gruden until the middle of this past week. Thus, it took them nearly three weeks to finally sit and deal with their Super Bowl winning coach.

In the end, Gruden was hardly backed up by the players, who were brutally honest with ownership when asked about their head coach. There was a very strong lack of trust between veterans and youngsters alike and the veterans especially, in meetings with the Glazers, made their opinions known.

New head coach Raheem Morris may look like a youngster, but he was on the fast track to a head coaching job in this league. His closest friend is Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin and the two share many of the same leadership traits and football ideas. He interviewed for the Broncos head coaching gig and many believed he was just a year or two away from getting a gig.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9098004/If-needed,-Spagnuolo-has-outs-in-St.-Louis

Am I the only one that finds it a LITTLE troubling that the Glazers would tell Gruden one thing (you're job is safe) and then interview others and change their minds on this? Not saying it wasn't the right decision, not saying they didn't act deliberately, but it makes me a bit uncomfortable that they did a complete backtrack.

How did that conversation go: Jon, even though we said you've got another year, we're firing you now.

Bad form.

They must have learned that from Gruden himself

mjpwooo

Pro Bowler

#41 : January 22, 2009, 10:16:45 AM

brad, and everyone ripped him and defended the players when this happened.

Be consistent with your complaints, people.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Yasinskas on the firing « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools