Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: should he stay... « previous next »
Page: 1 2

drywallbuc

Starter

: October 02, 2006, 12:13:08 AM

... or should he go.
 imo is sit him on IR, but sign him to another 1 year extension now, soon anyhow. take chance to lose one more SB qb (our luck from past) . plus he wants to be here to prove, he knows one big year he gets a fat contract. would show a little class imo in the front office also.

simms will be good for somebody oneday, just dont know if its john gruden.

buy american
hire american
save america

boycott chinese goods

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#1 : October 02, 2006, 12:15:54 AM

He still earned the starting job.  He still knows the offense.  He still lacks an offensive line.

I would put him IR, and let him test the FA market.  Someone will offer him a decent deal, for sure.  I wish he would stay a Buc, but I doubt he will stay.

psymun

Starter
#2 : October 02, 2006, 12:17:05 AM

One more year, I agree...

Gradkowski is a perfect fit for Gruden's offense... But Chris also has a lot of intangibles...

All do respect to Chris... WTF?!? He has EVERYTHING it takes to be a great QB... The arm, the accuracy (I thought), the strength, the leadership, the heart, the smarts... But... for some reason... he just doesn't live up to it... It doesn't make any sense.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#3 : October 02, 2006, 12:27:00 AM

One more year, I agree...

Gradkowski is a perfect fit for Gruden's offense... But Chris also has a lot of intangibles...

All do respect to Chris... WTF?!? He has EVERYTHING it takes to be a great QB... The arm, the accuracy (I thought), the strength, the leadership, the heart, the smarts... But... for some reason... he just doesn't live up to it... It doesn't make any sense.

It is called being nervous around your offensive line.  They get him beat down frequently.

Larry Brackins

Starter
#4 : October 02, 2006, 12:37:52 AM

Simms' future relys on the Gradkowski.

Gradkowski plays well: Simms goes somewhere else.
Gradkowski plays bad: Simms stays

I think Simms will be starting somewhere next year.

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#5 : October 02, 2006, 01:04:19 AM

It is called being nervous around your offensive line. They get him beat down frequently.
DITTO!!!!!!!!!

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#6 : October 02, 2006, 01:06:28 AM

No matter how Gradkowski plays the Bucs will most likely offer Simms a 1 year deal contract.  If he chooses to go elsewhere that is his choice.  If he chooses to stick with the Bucs that is also his choice.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#7 : October 02, 2006, 02:24:55 AM

I think he will be gone. He has been good for us in the past, however, he is far from being a proven commodity. He has the ability to be a good QB somewhere in the NFL but has shown this season that he can't make the routine plays in this offense. With that said, a team who likes to throw vertically down the field will be overjoyed by what he can do for them. He throws a great deep ball. Unfortunately, that isn't in our gameplan.

Gradkowski is a better fit here, but if he doesn't work out we will sign a vet QB or draft a QB and roll with what we have for the next year or so. My money is on the vet if Gradkowski doesn't come through though.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#8 : October 02, 2006, 09:00:36 AM

I think he should go to a system that fits his skill set and that has a proven offensive line. I don't want to get into the 'soft' argument but he's been seriously hurt twice with a few games in between.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#9 : October 02, 2006, 09:10:26 AM

I saw Brees take some vicious hits yesterday and Brad who has a $50 million dollar 0-line on the left side was taking some hits too.  It is part of the game.

T

Hall of Famer

#10 : October 02, 2006, 09:16:35 AM

Don't let Simms go for nothing I'd like to see the Bucs get something for Simms. He's worth at least a 2nd Rounder, but I doubt he's back in Tampa in 07.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#11 : October 02, 2006, 09:39:28 AM

Don't let Simms go for nothing I'd like to see the Bucs get something for Simms. He's worth at least a 2nd Rounder, but I doubt he's back in Tampa in 07.

How do they get anything for him?  Franchise tag?  Sign him to a contract?

They are not going to be in a position to secure his services before FA, and a trade is out of the question.

wildbuc99

Rookie

#12 : October 02, 2006, 09:49:38 AM

I hope this scenario plays out for Simms, I mean unless Grad plays lights out we have no good option at QB.  Rattay is well Rattay, Grad lacks less experience and knowledge of the playbook more than Simms does and Simms finally just got comfortable in Gruden's system.  McCown unproven in my view, young, athletic, and highly praised by Gruden this offseason but recovering from a knee injury.  So Simms should be kept for the starting QB position if nothing else for the backup QB.  Unless some team throws down a huge offer to Simms, I think the Bucs will and should at least make an offer. I still believe Simms is our future

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#13 : October 02, 2006, 10:49:01 AM

Unless some team throws down a huge offer to Simms, I think the Bucs will and should at least make an offer.

I agree.  There isn't any good veteran free agent QB's available next year and I do not expect one that is a good fit for the WCO to be cut.  That is why my gut feeling tells me that the Bucs will stick it out with these three QB's (Grads, Luke, and Simms if he is resigned).  And drafting a QB in the first round I think is a bad idea as that would put the team back a few steps.  That is why it crucial that Grads sees a lot of reps starting this week.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#14 : October 02, 2006, 12:04:16 PM

I hope this scenario plays out for Simms, I mean unless Grad plays lights out we have no good option at QB.  Rattay is well Rattay, Grad lacks less experience and knowledge of the playbook more than Simms does and Simms finally just got comfortable in Gruden's system.  McCown unproven in my view, young, athletic, and highly praised by Gruden this offseason but recovering from a knee injury.  So Simms should be kept for the starting QB position if nothing else for the backup QB.  Unless some team throws down a huge offer to Simms, I think the Bucs will and should at least make an offer. I still believe Simms is our future

Why though? What you are saying is that we have a future with a square peg in a round hole. He has the ability to be a great QB in the league with the right team but he has made it abundantly clear that we are not that team. He is not a west coast QB and Gruden seems farily unwilling to adapt his offense to fit Simms. The OL can't handle it anyways.

Secondly, Simms has started around 16 games in the NFL. If you count the streak of games he started last year into this year consecutively he was the starter here for 15 games. Gradkowski is a rookie, but if he manages to play well enough (not lights out, but just well enough) to not get benched this season he will start 13 consecutive games. Simms has started 14 regular season games consecutively. If on field time was the only measure of knowledge of the offense then they would be one game apart which is pretty much a wash. After that amount of games you pretty much have seen the good, bad, ugly with the guy. What would we have to gain with keeping Simms here? We could have a competition, but then again we could bring in a vet who could compete with Gradkowski who better fits the scheme. Also, then we wouldn't be handicapping Simms as an organization because we are keeping him on a team with an offense that his skill set does not allow him to run to maximum effectiveness. You roll with the guys who can fit your offense and Simms just isn't that guy...he isn't the future but Gradkowski may be.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: should he stay... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools