Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Pass or Run? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

klb55

Starter

« #15 : January 21, 2009, 12:13:10 PM »

In order to win consistently in December you better be able to run the ball. �

"Deep ball please.....".........LOL �

Winner.  Not even sure you need the december part.

I agree that the December part is not necessary but dome teams or in parts of the country that are warm a pass first mentality can work.  December and January might mean traveling to Philly, Chicago, or Green Bay when the games are obviously more important then September.  Being able to run the ball first allows a team to control the tempo of the game, sets up play action for big plays down the field in the passing game, and wears down defenses in the latter part of the game.    I think that most would agree this is Football 101.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #16 : January 21, 2009, 12:20:56 PM »

I am hoping for a power run game with the deep ball off play action

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

« #17 : January 21, 2009, 12:41:25 PM »

What did Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Tennessee, New York, Carolina, and Atlanta all excel at?

I'm in bradentonian's corner

« #18 : January 21, 2009, 12:46:39 PM »

Baltimore excells on offense? Wow.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

« #19 : January 21, 2009, 12:47:35 PM »

December is a given, eh Rowdie? Weren't you giving me crap for mentioning that a couple weeks ago.  :P

It's good to see more people warm up to the run idea and back off the "pass to set up the run" myth...

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

« #20 : January 21, 2009, 12:47:46 PM »

Never said that.

But their running game was nasty and lead them to the semi-finals

rowdie

Hall of Famer

« #21 : January 21, 2009, 12:31:15 PM »

In order to win consistently in December you better be able to run the ball. �

"Deep ball please.....".........LOL �

Winner.  Not even sure you need the december part.

I agree that the December part is not necessary but dome teams or in parts of the country that are warm a pass first mentality can work.  December and January might mean traveling to Philly, Chicago, or Green Bay when the games are obviously more important then September.  Being able to run the ball first allows a team to control the tempo of the game, sets up play action for big plays down the field in the passing game, and wears down defenses in the latter part of the game.    I think that most would agree this is Football 101.

I'm not sure most would agree anymore.  I'm all for Run the ball, stop the run.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

« #22 : January 21, 2009, 02:46:52 PM »

What was the starting topic you where thinking about?  Perhaps I can recall the thread/conversation....

As far as my don't need the december take, that was aimed at saying to be consistent on offense you need to be able to run the ball, doesn't matter what month it is. It doesn't just apply late in the year, it always applies.

I was talking about the "Gruden Era" thread, where I brought up the December performances. But no reason to rehash that argument. We're cool, I was just ribbin' ya a little..

We're exactly on the same page as far as the run, especially the all season angle. I've always maintained that running is the key to a successful passing attack, especially with the limited personel we had on the field. If we had Warner and Co. it might be different, but even they have somewhat made a commitment to the run in these playoffs and it's worked well for them so far..

rowdie

Hall of Famer

« #23 : January 21, 2009, 03:34:43 PM »

I wasn't looking to start throwing mud but it disturbs me a bit that I'd ever leave anyone with the impression I don't full on support running the ball.

I don't recall the discussions so I can't think of what I might have been getting at.  I can only imagine it's the same basic take I had in this thread. Forget December you need to be able to run the ball period.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

« #24 : January 21, 2009, 03:37:52 PM »

I would rather stick to running until we can get defense to commit to it, then air it out.

acacius

Hall of Famer

« #25 : January 21, 2009, 03:47:59 PM »

In order to win consistently in December you better be able to run the ball.  

... or have Tom Brady as your quarterback.

:p

Seriously though, I'm all for a strong running attack (particularly the way this team is built), but I'm not sure it's quite so clear cut as running well meaning success.  While teams like Arizona and Pittsburgh have certainly cranked up their rushing attack in the playoffs, they weren't exceptional running teams over the course of the regular season.  Minnesota was one of the best running team in the entire league this year, had a top defense and were still one and done.

umguy1999

Practice Squad

« #26 : January 21, 2009, 03:57:52 PM »

I want an ABWCO style.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

« #27 : January 21, 2009, 03:58:41 PM »

Seriously though, I'm all for a strong running attack (particularly the way this team is built), but I'm not sure it's quite so clear cut as running well meaning success.  While teams like Arizona and Pittsburgh have certainly cranked up their rushing attack in the playoffs, they weren't exceptional running teams over the course of the regular season.  Minnesota was one of the best running team in the entire league this year, had a top defense and were still one and done.

I think the call is for a strong running game for the sake of balance rather than an exclusive ground attack like Minnesota's. If they had any kind of passing attack, they might still be playing...
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Pass or Run? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools