Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why Draft Mark Sanchez? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

#30 : January 22, 2009, 12:23:45 PM

Because the Lions need a new face of the franchise (aka Ryan and ATL.)

Schwartz will get his guy and it will be a QB.

ryanbuc1

Practice Squad

#31 : January 22, 2009, 12:37:35 PM

From Wikipedia:

In April 2006, Sanchez was arrested after a female USC student accused him of sexual assault.[12][13] He was released from jail the following day, after posting $200,000 bail, but USC placed him on interim suspension that suspended him from the football team yet permitted him to take his semester finals, albeit separate from the general student body and under the supervision of campus security.[14] On June 3, 2006, the Los Angeles County District Attorney's office announced no charges would be filed against Sanchez due to a "lack of sufficient evidence beyond a reasonable doubt", noting the case was "essentially a 'one-on-one' allegation."[15] [16] The District Attorney's office released the charge evaluation worksheet that said the alleged victim in the case said she consented to kissing and petting on Sanchez's bed, and that she repeatedly refused Sanchez's advances to have intercourse with her but continued the other activities with him when he complied; the woman later spent time with other students without mentioning an incident and later told her mother who reportedly called police later in the morning.[12][13] The woman involved left the university.[17] Sanchez was required to take a rape awareness class at USC.[18] USC reinstated Sanchez but he remained subject to team-related discipline for underage drinking and using fake identification on the night he was arrested.[15] Sanchez had been previously detained but not arrested by USC's Department of Public Safety for allegedly breaking a window at a fraternity party.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#32 : January 22, 2009, 12:39:45 PM

Sanchez has started 19 collegiate games throughout his career. He is NOWHERE near ready to start in the NFL.

Other then that, everything seems legit about him. But like I said, guy has very little starting experience and most QB's that bust are usually players like him.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#33 : January 22, 2009, 12:48:12 PM

I don't think anyone believes he's gonna come in and rock right away, but the kid has the tools to eventually succeed in the NFL. Labeling him a bust right now is way short sighted.

cdebanks

Starter

#34 : January 22, 2009, 12:54:59 PM

From Wikipedia:

In April 2006, Sanchez was arrested after a female USC student accused him of sexual assault.[12][13] He was released from jail the following day, after posting $200,000 bail, but USC placed him on interim suspension that suspended him from the football team yet permitted him to take his semester finals, albeit separate from the general student body and under the supervision of campus security.[14] On June 3, 2006, the Los Angeles County District Attorney's office announced no charges would be filed against Sanchez due to a "lack of sufficient evidence beyond a reasonable doubt", noting the case was "essentially a 'one-on-one' allegation."[15] [16] The District Attorney's office released the charge evaluation worksheet that said the alleged victim in the case said she consented to kissing and petting on Sanchez's bed, and that she repeatedly refused Sanchez's advances to have intercourse with her but continued the other activities with him when he complied; the woman later spent time with other students without mentioning an incident and later told her mother who reportedly called police later in the morning.[12][13] The woman involved left the university.[17] Sanchez was required to take a rape awareness class at USC.[18] USC reinstated Sanchez but he remained subject to team-related discipline for underage drinking and using fake identification on the night he was arrested.[15] Sanchez had been previously detained but not arrested by USC's Department of Public Safety for allegedly breaking a window at a fraternity party.

Yeesh.

DynaMike Glennon

Pro Bowler

#35 : January 22, 2009, 12:58:12 PM

In response to PsYnUn you have some good points, espescially in reference to Matt Cassell. But when you have someone like Randy Moss and Wes Welker to throw too, you yourself would look like a good QB. You can a throw ball within 20 feet of Moss and he'll make a play and Wes Welker you dump a short one and he's off to the races. I do agree that he would make a better prospect than Booty though, but when it comes to Leinart that remains to be seen.

TBBuccaneer40 out.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#36 : January 22, 2009, 01:39:17 PM

Did you watch the games or just read the stat lines?

LOL...

So that's where you go after those stats disprove your "inconsistent" theory?

LOL...

I guess I should ask you the same question since you call Sanchez inconsistent, which clearly isn't the case.

A second or third round pick, maybe. But a first rounder based on his PSU performance (no one was calling for this kid in the first before that to my knowledge..) is ridiculous

It's a shame that wasn't your argument in the first place.  You said he was inconsistent.  Sanchez only had one bad game by my count, against ASU...where his team won 28-0.

I think you're working from a different definition of consistency.  I don't mean to speak for the other guy but I'd guess he has in mind more what I have in mind when the discussion is about such things. Pass to pass to pass, are the passes where they need to be, when they need to be, in the manner they need to be?  You don't get that from stat lines. Especially in college where the talent level can be so varied.  Wide open receivers and lots of time can make guys look really good on the stat sheet.

You really need to watch the games to know or have some idea about the QB's consistency.

I didn't watch nearly enough of the kid. Shoot he hasn't really played enough games imo. What I will say, is from what I watched, I'm not as impressed as the general consensus. Again though it's a low confidence take as I haven't watched him play all that much.   

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#37 : January 22, 2009, 01:41:13 PM

Sanchez has started 19 collegiate games throughout his career. He is NOWHERE near ready to start in the NFL.

Other then that, everything seems legit about him. But like I said, guy has very little starting experience and most QB's that bust are usually players like him.

I thought it was less then that.... If someone really took in all 19 they ought to have a decent enough idea about that the kid is capable of.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

#38 : January 22, 2009, 01:42:09 PM

So people actually want Graham Harrell? Whats so special about him? Weak arm, took a lot of snaps from the shot gun in college, played in an offense that inflates stats.
But Sanchez who played in a pro style offense, can actually read defenses, has a great arm, is a bust?

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#39 : January 22, 2009, 01:44:11 PM

I think you're working from a different definition of consistency.  I don't mean to speak for the other guy but I'd guess he has in mind more what I have in mind when the discussion is about such things. Pass to pass to pass, are the passes where they need to be, when they need to be, in the manner they need to be?  You don't get that from stat lines. Especially in college where the talent level can be so varied.  Wide open receivers and lots of time can make guys look really good on the stat sheet.

You really need to watch the games to know or have some idea about the QB's consistency.

I didn't watch nearly enough of the kid. Shoot he hasn't really played enough games imo. What I will say, is from what I watched, I'm not as impressed as the general consensus. Again though it's a low confidence take as I haven't watched him play all that much.   

I didn't watch Sanchez play every game, but I watched him enough to form a decent opinion, Rowdie. 

I didn't see consistency has a major problem by either definition that is offered.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#40 : January 22, 2009, 01:46:26 PM

So people actually want Graham Harrell? Whats so special about him? Weak arm, took a lot of snaps from the shot gun in college, played in an offense that inflates stats.
But Sanchez who played in a pro style offense, can actually read defenses, has a great arm, is a bust?

The fact he's not a "spread offense" guy is big in my book. Should make it easier to evaluate him.

These guys that in in shotgun all the time makes a hard task even harder. Certainly introduces a bigger learning curve and another big unknown.

InChuckyITrust

Hall of Famer

#41 : January 22, 2009, 01:47:38 PM

This to me is the kicker for Sanchez.  We know he can take charge in the huddle, master an offense and be a leader.  He can make the downfield reads.

Does his accuracy need some work?  Sure.  I am no QB coach but I am guessing his problems with accuracy probably are due to poor mechanics.  Eli Manning still has alot of issues with his mechanics, he seemed to play ok last year.  Big Ben is another guy who isnt picture perfect.  The kid has a few minor flaws, if he didnt have any he would be considered the next Peyton coming out of school.  You can work with his kid, hes coachable, a good teammate, and really took charge of that offense.

"there are no medals here for who can stay at the office the longest," said Jagodzinski. "I'm not into that. The guys that brag about working till 2 in the morning, in my opinion, they're just not smart enough. "

18,2,25,13 ... murderers row?

I support coach Calhoun and his salary

InChuckyITrust

Hall of Famer

#42 : January 22, 2009, 01:49:26 PM

BTW... with a large latino population in FL dont think Mr. Sanchez wouldnt be a huge hit with the fans... face of the franchise type of thing.. another thing to consider when drafting.

"there are no medals here for who can stay at the office the longest," said Jagodzinski. "I'm not into that. The guys that brag about working till 2 in the morning, in my opinion, they're just not smart enough. "

18,2,25,13 ... murderers row?

I support coach Calhoun and his salary

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#43 : September 13, 2009, 06:29:23 PM

Nice first game for Sanchez in a 24-7 victory over Houston.

Incognito

Hall of Famer

#44 : September 13, 2009, 06:32:39 PM

I didn't bother to read this stupid thread because it has nothing to do with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why Draft Mark Sanchez? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools