Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2009 CFB Thread « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11

#120 : May 24, 2009, 04:28:05 PM

Guess Miami is going to take it a step further this year to win some games

duanet75

Pro Bowler
#121 : May 24, 2009, 05:03:45 PM

We walked into an Irish bar that was behind the mall in Hampton and WOW there were gator fans everywhere i mean a packed house of blue and orange.

and there is another reason Miami will get fewer National TV games, small fan base. Every year there are 5-8 times as many students enrolled at the UFs, Michigans, Texas, Tenn, OSU, etc. which means 5-8 times as many fans. Go to a Michigan bar in Florida (like Champions) and the place is packed with Big Blue fans, same with an OSU bar in Texas or a Gator bar in Va.

The networks only care about one thing, ratings. And they know there are a lot more Michigan, UF, OSU, etc fans than there are fans of a <15,000 student Miami.

I agree with you about the networks and yeah there ratings and looking to show the top teams.

I disagree about the fan base. Yes Miami is a small private school 8000 students i believe is accurate but if Miami starts out 4-0 you will South Florida rise up as a fan base.
Ive been to alot of places in this country as an industrial electrician i ive met alot of people from South Florida in different states so i wouldnt judge fan base from the size of school. Remember FSU and Florida are located to the North. Also how many people out there have posters on there wall of a former canes being there favorite player on there NFL teams. Will you gator fans hang up  K2 on your wall now that he's a buc or is Sapp still hanging there holding that trophy up.
You might not be able to find a gator bar or hurricane bar in every state but i bet you 20 bucks theres a Pittsburgh Steelers bar in everyone.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#122 : May 24, 2009, 08:35:51 PM

We walked into an Irish bar that was behind the mall in Hampton and WOW there were gator fans everywhere i mean a packed house of blue and orange.

and there is another reason Miami will get fewer National TV games, small fan base. Every year there are 5-8 times as many students enrolled at the UFs, Michigans, Texas, Tenn, OSU, etc. which means 5-8 times as many fans. Go to a Michigan bar in Florida (like Champions) and the place is packed with Big Blue fans, same with an OSU bar in Texas or a Gator bar in Va.

The networks only care about one thing, ratings. And they know there are a lot more Michigan, UF, OSU, etc fans than there are fans of a <15,000 student Miami.
You might not be able to find a gator bar or hurricane bar in every state but i bet you 20 bucks theres a Pittsburgh Steelers bar in everyone.

Actually, I have traveled quite a bit in my line of work, and everywhere I have ever been I have had no trouble finding a "gator" bar. 

matt

Starter

#123 : May 25, 2009, 09:30:49 AM

Florida should be the odds-on favorite going into the season, and they have a semi-favorable schedule. They do have opportunities for a slip up, but they should have enough veteran leadership to avoid pitfalls. As far as Urban Meyer and Notre Dame, I still don't think he'll ever ultimately end up coaching there. He has no reason to leave UF. From a quality of life standpoint, I would pick Gainesville everyday of the week over snowy South Bend.

I'm excited for Michigan this season. We have an experienced o-line and two senior RBs who if healthy could be the best in the country. We have several redshirt freshman on the o-line who have had a year with Barwis and should be ready to contribute. The only true question mark is at QB. Even though we're likely starting a true freshman, Tate Forcier is night and day better than Threet (who has transferred) and Sheridan. It will be interesting to see how Denard Robinson factors in. I'm sure Rodriguez will find a way to utilize his speed. I think this team could win 8 or 9, and hopefully we'll beat Ohio State.

duanet75

Pro Bowler
#124 : May 25, 2009, 11:45:17 AM

Actually, I have traveled quite a bit in my line of work, and everywhere I have ever been I have had no trouble finding a "gator" bar.

Ok good for you

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#125 : May 25, 2009, 12:22:57 PM

I disagree about the fan base. Yes Miami is a small private school 8000 students i believe is accurate but if Miami starts out 4-0 you will South Florida rise up as a fan base.

Exactly, you made my point. IF Miami starts out 4-0 you will see a lot of bandwagon fans. But if the team loses, where are the fans? When UF went 7-5 in '04 EVERY GAME SOLD OUT, and their TV games still got good ratings. Michigan was horrible last year but the UM/OSU and UM/MSU games still got good ratings. Notre Dame has a 3 win season and still pulls in ratings. In 1980 UF went 0-10-1 and only 2 games didn't sell out.

duanet75

Pro Bowler
#126 : May 25, 2009, 01:07:52 PM

Exactly, you made my point. IF Miami starts out 4-0 you will see a lot of bandwagon fans. But if the team loses, where are the fans? When UF went 7-5 in '04 EVERY GAME SOLD OUT, and their TV games still got good ratings. Michigan was horrible last year but the UM/OSU and UM/MSU games still got good ratings. Notre Dame has a 3 win season and still pulls in ratings. In 1980 UF went 0-10-1 and only 2 games didn't sell out.

OK if you want to call them bandwagon fans fair enough but let point me out one thing about South Florida fans. Unlike Gainesville where the gators are the only ticket in town.In South Florida theres Marlins,Dolphins,Panthers.Heat,and Huricanes. South Florida has always been about the hot ticket in town. For instance the Marlins when the went on there World Series run packed house celebrities came out.When the Heat won packed house. When the panthers went to the finals same thing. Dolphins always have a loyal fan base. If you say band wagon fans ok but dont compare South Florida fans to Gainesville ,Michagan, and Indiana(Notre Dame). Is there anywhere else in the country that has all major sports teams within less then hour drive apart?

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#127 : May 25, 2009, 02:04:10 PM

OK if you want to call them bandwagon fans fair enough but let point me out one thing about South Florida fans. Unlike Gainesville where the gators are the only ticket in town.In South Florida theres Marlins,Dolphins,Panthers.Heat,and Huricanes. South Florida has always been about the hot ticket in town. For instance the Marlins when they went on there World Series run packed house celebrities came out.When the Heat won packed house. When the panthers went to the finals same thing. Dolphins always have a loyal fan base. If you say band wagon fans ok but dont compare South Florida fans to Gainesville ,Michagan, and Indiana(Notre Dame). Is there anywhere else in the country that has all major sports teams within less then hour drive apart?

You completely missed the point. It has nothing to do with South Florida Fans, it is Alumni. If you go to a college, you are a fan of that college, you have a vested interest in that team because it was part of your life. Most Gator fans aren't in Gainesville, they are Doctors, Lawyers, Engineers, etc. in Tampa, NY, Atlanta, and Miami that got their degree (i.e. their profession) from UF. There are 10 times as many Florida grads in Dade/Broward county (or any county) as there are Miami grads and alumni are fans for life. Because schools like Michigan, OSU, Florida, Texas, etc. pump out 12000-15000 alumni a year, they are producing that many die hard fans AND TV VEIWERS. Die hard fans that watch whether their team is a contender or a 5 win nothing.

For instance the Marlins when they went on there World Series run packed house celebrities came out.When the Heat won packed house. When the panthers went to the finals same thing.

That is the definition of bandwagon fans. If they win the fans come out and jump on the bandwagon. Michigan won 3 games and sold out every game in their 105,000 seat stadium. UF has sold out every games in their 90,000 seat stadium for 20 years. These aren't people from Gainesville or Anne Arbor driving 5 miles, these are FANS from Flint, Detroit, Chicago, Memphis etc. driving hundreds of miles to see Big Blue or fans from Tampa, Orlando, Miami, Boca, loading up their RVs and making a weekend in G'ville.

How often do 40-50,000 people drive from Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville, or Pensacola to watch a Canes games? Try once every 2 years, and they are all wearing Garnet and gold.

duanet75

Pro Bowler
#128 : May 25, 2009, 02:53:00 PM

OK if you want to call them bandwagon fans fair enough but let point me out one thing about South Florida fans. Unlike Gainesville where the gators are the only ticket in town.In South Florida theres Marlins,Dolphins,Panthers.Heat,and Huricanes. South Florida has always been about the hot ticket in town. For instance the Marlins when they went on there World Series run packed house celebrities came out.When the Heat won packed house. When the panthers went to the finals same thing. Dolphins always have a loyal fan base. If you say band wagon fans ok but dont compare South Florida fans to Gainesville ,Michagan, and Indiana(Notre Dame). Is there anywhere else in the country that has all major sports teams within less then hour drive apart?

You completely missed the point. It has nothing to do with South Florida Fans, it is Alumni. If you go to a college, you are a fan of that college, you have a vested interest in that team because it was part of your life. Most Gator fans aren't in Gainesville, they are Doctors, Lawyers, Engineers, etc. in Tampa, NY, Atlanta, and Miami that got their degree (i.e. their profession) from UF. There are 10 times as many Florida grads in Dade/Broward county (or any county) as there are Miami grads and alumni are fans for life. Because schools like Michigan, OSU, Florida, Texas, etc. pump out 12000-15000 alumni a year, they are producing that many die hard fans AND TV VEIWERS. Die hard fans that watch whether their team is a contender or a 5 win nothing.

For instance the Marlins when they went on there World Series run packed house celebrities came out.When the Heat won packed house. When the panthers went to the finals same thing.

That is the definition of bandwagon fans. If they win the fans come out and jump on the bandwagon. Michigan won 3 games and sold out every game in their 105,000 seat stadium. UF has sold out every games in their 90,000 seat stadium for 20 years. These aren't people from Gainesville or Anne Arbor driving 5 miles, these are FANS from Flint, Detroit, Chicago, Memphis etc. driving hundreds of miles to see Big Blue or fans from Tampa, Orlando, Miami, Boca, loading up their RVs and making a weekend in G'ville.

How often do 40-50,000 people drive from Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville, or Pensacola to watch a Canes games? Try once every 2 years, and they are all wearing Garnet and gold.

Ok so UF has a bigger fan base then Miami. whooptie doo. You've proved my point i made a while ago that UF fans are truly jealous of Miami. 1 victory over Miami 5 National Championships to your 3. 3 perfect seasons to your none. Arguing fan base truly is a cry of desparation to get  1 up on Miami. Yes you guys finally beat Miami for the 1st time in how long? Also on that note notice how UM fans and FSU FANS dont bash each others schools or programs. Theres alot of respect between the rivaly but also notice how FSU fans bash UF because they dont respect you either. And by backing out of playing Miami because it doesnt make sense financially sorry we dont want to come to TRAILERVILLE every year because UF is scared to come to the U every other year. IM going to throw this out there too. Youre boy Urban Meyer reminds me of Jimmy Johnson all over. Came to Miami from a smaller program gained national exposure diconcerened character in recruiting won championships and was the next coach of the Dallas Cowboys.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#129 : May 25, 2009, 03:37:05 PM

Ok so UF has a bigger fan base then Miami. whooptie doo. You've proved my point i made a while ago that UF fans are truly jealous of Miami.

How did I do that? Why would we be jealous of a team that was good a decade ago? We live in the present, not the past.

1 victory over Miami 5 National Championships to your 3. 3 perfect seasons to your none. Arguing fan base truly is a cry of desparation to get  1 up on Miami.

No, I was sticking to the topic of why Florida will have more nationally televised games than Miami. How is sticking to the subject a cry of desperation?

If anything, deflecting the topic to something that happened years ago is the "cry of desperation"

Yes you guys finally beat Miami for the 1st time in how long? Also on that note notice how UM fans and FSU FANS dont bash each others schools or programs. Theres alot of respect between the rivaly but also notice how FSU fans bash UF because they dont respect you either. And by backing out of playing Miami because it doesnt make sense financially sorry we dont want to come to TRAILERVILLE every year because UF is scared to come to the U every other year. IM going to throw this out there too. Youre boy Urban Meyer reminds me of Jimmy Johnson all over. Came to Miami from a smaller program gained national exposure diconcerened character in recruiting won championships and was the next coach of the Dallas Cowboys.

What the hell does any of that drivel have to do with TV ratings and Nationally televised games??

I make a post about how the number of alumni can build in a larger fan base and therefore TV audience, and you go on some incoherent rant about respect and some made up crap about backing out of games.

And what the heck does Jimmy Johnson have to do with Network programming decisions and TV market draw?

duanet75

Pro Bowler
#130 : May 25, 2009, 04:27:39 PM

So the 01 sugar bowl,03 at da U,and the 04 peach bowl were over a decade ago? Look bro ive been following Florida football not just UF FSU and Miami but High School recruiting  ive seen the type of kids Coker was recruiting compared to what Shannon is recruiting. I saw the class Meyer brought in with Tebow and Spikes and knew it wasnt long for UF to get where you are now.We're not long away and again i wish Tebow good luck this year and as he pursues his career as an NFL qb IMHO he will be. But please MR John Gait dont tell me you didnt see all that young talent Miami had when we played last year. I thought we would walk in at halftime down 40. Just a shame we had to play them so early but they were the best Shannon could field pending the talent Coker left. I was at the spring game they looked good Whipple's offense wow what a difference from Patrick Nix. We were actually throwing the ball down field and i was'nt seeing some of the retarded plays i saw last year that were called in at crucial times. Its Jacory's team now we actually have a leader.

duanet75

Pro Bowler
#131 : May 25, 2009, 05:01:08 PM

Even Urban was impressed

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#132 : January 17, 2010, 02:18:09 PM

2009 SOS rankings:

1.  Mississippi State
2.  Alabama
3.  Florida State
4.  South Carolina
5.  LSU
6.  Oregon
7.  Georgia
8.  Miami
9.  Virginia
10.  Georgia Tech
11.  Arizona
12.  Arkansas
13.  Virginia Tech
14.  Washington
15.  Florida
16.  Washington State
17.  Auburn
18.  Baylor
19.  USC
20.  Vanderbilt

Number of teams by conference:

SEC - 9 out of 12 in top 20
PAC 10 - 5 out of 10 in top 20
ACC - 5 out of 12 in top 20
Big 12 - 1 out of 12 in top 20

Big East - 0 out of 8 in top 20
Big 10 - 0 out of 11 in top 20

I would assume this should end all of the SEC scheduling crap, but probably not.  The SEC's scheduling practices are perfectly fine.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#133 : January 17, 2010, 04:07:07 PM

It won't because it's about the OOC schedule.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#134 : January 17, 2010, 04:47:18 PM

It won't because it's about the OOC schedule.

Which is stupid, since the overall SOS is top ranked year after year.

Page: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2009 CFB Thread « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools