Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2009 CFB Thread « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 11

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#15 : January 22, 2009, 07:53:48 PM

UF's schedule (tenative)

Charleston Southern
Troy
Tenn
@KY
bye
@LSU
ARK
@Miss St
UGa @ Jax
Vandy
@SC
FIU
FSU

Granted LSU , ARK an FSU will all be better this year...

returning the entire defense with that schedule?

They SHOULD go undefeated and stay #1 wire to wire.

But ya never know.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#16 : January 22, 2009, 08:05:04 PM

Lucky they dont play Ole Miss

LSU and maybe UGA could give them a run... but I doubt it. Thats why I think they are #1

LFO

Hall of Famer

#17 : January 22, 2009, 08:21:51 PM

Lucky they dont play Ole Miss

LSU and maybe UGA could give them a run... but I doubt it. Thats why I think they are #1

Well, if Ole Miss is that good they'll play in the SECCG...if not, perhaps Bama or rematch with LSU.

It's not near the schedule of this year, or even last year or previous, but my guess is when all is said and done it will be top 20...which is plenty good enough. 

I think LSU will be back strong, with improved QB play.  UGA will probably stay the same...improved defense but offense regresses, ends up 10-2, 9-3 before bowl.  UT can only get better, and having Monte and a supposed great staff who knows they could finish top 25.  FSU is going to be BACK.  Just ask their fans.  All in all, I think UF will have at least 5 top 25 teams which is plenty.  I do agree, the non-conference schedule is weak unless FSU improves upon last years 7-4 season. 

LFO

Hall of Famer

#18 : January 22, 2009, 08:52:38 PM

And to clear one thing up...if UF wins next year, it will not be because of their schedule.

It will be because they return the entire TWO DEEP on defense (a defense that arguably was the best in CFB last year and held the highest scoring offense in CFB history to 14 pts) and Tim Tebow returning to lead an offense that despite losing Harvin/Murphy still has many playmakers. 

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#19 : January 23, 2009, 12:06:05 PM

Hard to take anyone else.  ... Oklahoma, Texas...  UF feels like the only pick. It's like taking Nebraska in '95. Well, actually I think a lot of people didn't take nebraska, but it looked pretty clear cut to me.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#20 : January 23, 2009, 01:03:24 PM

The same easy schedule that has Florida looking like the clear cut #1 can also be a detriment if the voters see those opponents the same way. Some other team in the country with an undefeated record and a stronger schedule, not out of the question, could leap-frog the Gators if they aren't blowing everybody out..

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#21 : January 23, 2009, 01:30:34 PM

The same easy schedule that has Florida looking like the clear cut #1 can also be a detriment if the voters see those opponents the same way. Some other team in the country with an undefeated record and a stronger schedule, not out of the question, could leap-frog the Gators if they aren't blowing everybody out..

if a reigning champ goes undefeated, they will play in the title game.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#22 : January 23, 2009, 01:40:19 PM

if a reigning champ goes undefeated, they will play in the title game.

You'd think, but the title of "reigning champ" is somewhat tainted with the consensus being that the two teams in the NC game weren't necessarily the two best.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#23 : January 23, 2009, 02:22:49 PM

Far-fetched if, while USC is facing off against Ohio St and Oklahoma is playing BYU, Florida wasn't playing perrenial powerhouseTroy after playing that NCAA giant Charleston Southern. Far-fetched is thinking that pollsters don't take those types of games into consideration. Florida International down the stretch isn't going to be putting any feathers in the Gators cap either..

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#24 : January 23, 2009, 02:10:32 PM

the two teams in the NC game were the highest ranked by the system put in place...dont see anything tainted with that.  you can have any opinion you want, but its far-fetched to believe that an undefeated reigning champ wouldnt play in the title game.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#25 : January 23, 2009, 02:36:06 PM

while this whole debate is pointless, UF is set to play 4 "top25" teams teams next year.  if they go undefeated they will be fine.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#26 : January 23, 2009, 02:47:27 PM

It may be 4, it may be more, it may be less. Not saying it's going to happen, just don't be surprised if they get leap-frogged. A soft schedule makes that a real possibility..

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#27 : January 23, 2009, 02:49:50 PM

It may be 4, it may be more, it may be less. Not saying it's going to happen, just don't be surprised if they get leap-frogged. A soft schedule makes that a real possibility..

There is no way a number one team with a Conference championship game will be leapfrogged if they begin the season at number one and go undefeated.  Impossible.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#28 : January 23, 2009, 03:00:13 PM

Far-fetched if, while USC is facing off against Ohio St and Oklahoma is playing BYU, Florida wasn't playing perrenial powerhouseTroy after playing that NCAA giant Charleston Southern. Far-fetched is thinking that pollsters don't take those types of games into consideration. Florida International down the stretch isn't going to be putting any feathers in the Gators cap either..

don't underestimate Troy ....

LFO

Hall of Famer

#29 : January 23, 2009, 07:14:35 PM

don't underestimate Troy ....

While not a powerhouse, they are every bit as good as BYU IMO....whom Red Alert wants to proclaim as a tough OOC game. 

BYU would be Troy, if they played tough teams every year. 

If Troy played BYU's schedule the last few years, I bet they would have similar results. 

3 of Troy's 5 losses this year were OSU, LSU, OSU......

3 of 4 last year were UF, Arkansas, UGA

3 of 5 year prior were FSU, GT, NE

In a lot of those losses, it was close or very close heading into the 4th. 

Now I am not saying Troy is a powerhouse, but they aren't a cakewalk either, and aren't any worse than BYU.  If BYU played troy's schedule, I'd bet they would have similar results.  I actually give Troy credit...they aren't afraid to play anyone.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2009 CFB Thread « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools