Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2009 CFB Thread « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11

LFO

Hall of Famer

#30 : January 23, 2009, 07:17:53 PM

It may be 4, it may be more, it may be less. Not saying it's going to happen, just don't be surprised if they get leap-frogged. A soft schedule makes that a real possibility..

If UF goes undefeated, they will make it back to back and 3 of 4 MNC's.

And calling any schedule soft at this point is almost absurd.  Nobody knows what will happen next year.  UF, on paper, has about as hard of an OOC schedule as most anyone.  They have one BCS Team (FSU), a couple cupcakes, and a decent mid-major team in Troy.  Conference schedule will be every bit as tough as USC's, OSU, OK, Texas......

LFO

Hall of Famer

#31 : January 23, 2009, 07:20:14 PM

Far-fetched if, while USC is facing off against Ohio St and Oklahoma is playing BYU, Florida wasn't playing perrenial powerhouseTroy after playing that NCAA giant Charleston Southern. Far-fetched is thinking that pollsters don't take those types of games into consideration. Florida International down the stretch isn't going to be putting any feathers in the Gators cap either..

Playing Stanford down the stretch is?  How about San Jose St. to start the season?  Washington and Washington St. might as well be D2. 

I don't see where USC's schedule is significantly stronger than UF's......certainly not enough to jump an undefeated defending national champion...

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#32 : January 23, 2009, 07:24:01 PM

It may be 4, it may be more, it may be less. Not saying it's going to happen, just don't be surprised if they get leap-frogged. A soft schedule makes that a real possibility..

Who has a tougher schedule?

Yes it is a soft schedule compared to past Florida schedules,

but compared to USC:

Sept. 5 San Jose State
Sept. 12 @ Ohio State
Sept. 19 @ Washington
Sept. 26 Washington State
Oct. 3 @ California
Oct. 10 Arizona
Oct. 17 @ Notre Dame
Oct. 24 Oregon State
Oct. 31 @ Oregon
Nov. 7 @ Arizona State
Nov. 14 Stanford
Nov. 28 UCLA

All I see is at OSU, at Cal, and at Oregon and not much else in the Ranked teams category.

And UF's schedule is still lightyears tougher than a Big 10, Big East, or ACC schedule.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#33 : January 23, 2009, 07:29:56 PM

USC has easily a chance for 3 losses... Id put all those 3 road games as coin flips... so to say Flordia schedule is harder then USC is stupid. Many preseason polls have Oregon top 10, Cal top 25, and playing at OSU wont be easy

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#34 : January 23, 2009, 08:08:24 PM

USC has easily a chance for 3 losses... Id put all those 3 road games as coin flips... so to say Flordia schedule is harder then USC is stupid. Many preseason polls have Oregon top 10, Cal top 25, and playing at OSU wont be easy

USC has a chance at 3 losses because they lost their QB and most of their D more so than because their schedule is tough.

I'm not saying UF's schedule is harder than USC's, just that it is not so soft that it would keep them out of contention. LSU, Ark, UGa, and FSU are all potential to 25 teams plus a conference championship game.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#35 : January 23, 2009, 08:18:11 PM

While not a powerhouse, they are every bit as good as BYU IMO....whom Red Alert wants to proclaim as a tough OOC game.

BYU would be Troy, if they played tough teams every year.

If Troy played BYU's schedule the last few years, I bet they would have similar results.

3 of Troy's 5 losses this year were OSU, LSU, OSU......

3 of 4 last year were UF, Arkansas, UGA

3 of 5 year prior were FSU, GT, NE

In a lot of those losses, it was close or very close heading into the 4th.

Now I am not saying Troy is a powerhouse, but they aren't a cakewalk either, and aren't any worse than BYU. If BYU played troy's schedule, I'd bet they would have similar results. I actually give Troy credit...they aren't afraid to play anyone.

Measuring a team by their losses is absurd. BYU is still better than Troy, Charleston Southern or Florida International.

I guess I'd have more respect for Florida if they had the guts to travel and play a team based west of the Mississippi once in awhile. When was the last time they did that?  LSU at least goes to the west coast this year, albeit @ Washington...

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#36 : January 23, 2009, 09:18:07 PM

no offense, but i dont think florida is worried about your respect or who you think they should schedule.  they seem to be doing just fine for themselves.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#37 : January 23, 2009, 09:25:42 PM

I guess I'd have more respect for Florida if they had the guts to travel and play a team based west of the Mississippi once in awhile. When was the last time they did that?

Florida had the 4th toughest schedule in the country this season.  Your respect doesn't seem to be necessary.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#38 : January 23, 2009, 09:41:11 PM

While not a powerhouse, they are every bit as good as BYU IMO....whom Red Alert wants to proclaim as a tough OOC game.

BYU would be Troy, if they played tough teams every year.

If Troy played BYU's schedule the last few years, I bet they would have similar results.

3 of Troy's 5 losses this year were OSU, LSU, OSU......

3 of 4 last year were UF, Arkansas, UGA

3 of 5 year prior were FSU, GT, NE

In a lot of those losses, it was close or very close heading into the 4th.

Now I am not saying Troy is a powerhouse, but they aren't a cakewalk either, and aren't any worse than BYU. If BYU played troy's schedule, I'd bet they would have similar results. I actually give Troy credit...they aren't afraid to play anyone.

Measuring a team by their losses is absurd. BYU is still better than Troy, Charleston Southern or Florida International.

I'm not measuring Troy by their losses...just saying, if they played BYU schedule they would have less.  I was simply pointing out, they didn't go 10-3 like BYU because they actually played good teams.  I think this is what makes them actually a decent team...instead of loading up on cupcakes they go out and play top teams OOC.  I think troy probably plays the best non-conference schedule in CFB. 

Saying a team plays tough games because they schedule BYU is pretty pathetic. 

I don't see where BYU is better than Troy.  Please tell me why they are....and don't insult me by saying "because they had a better record."  I will say BYU is better than Charleston Southern or FIU, but that wasn't what I argued, was it?  I mean, if we are comparing that why not bring up San Jose St.? 

Bottom line...Troy and BYU are comparable...so if you are going to credit Oklahoma for the BYU game, well, the Troy game for UF is just as good. 

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#39 : January 24, 2009, 05:32:39 PM

I guess I'd have more respect for Florida if they had the guts to travel and play a team based west of the Mississippi once in awhile. When was the last time they did that? 

October 4th, 2008

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#40 : January 25, 2009, 04:51:06 PM

ok... cool

My guess is Syracuse vs Temple football powerhouses

:o ::) ;D [banghead]

LFO

Hall of Famer

#41 : January 26, 2009, 10:54:35 PM

I'm excited to see how Jarret Brown does for WVU next year. He has a shot in the NFL imo.

Seriously?

I guess stranger things have happened, but I'd say he is a LONG way away from the NFL.....he hasn't even shown he can play in college. 

He wasn't even a big time recruit, so out of curiosity (since he hasn't even played) what makes you think he is an NFL caliber QB?

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#42 : January 26, 2009, 11:29:11 PM

because he went to WVU.

Im excited to see Masoli year 2... hes the perfect size NFL QB, short ::)

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#43 : January 27, 2009, 02:51:55 PM

I'm excited to see how Jarret Brown does for WVU next year. He has a shot in the NFL imo.

Seriously?

I guess stranger things have happened, but I'd say he is a LONG way away from the NFL.....he hasn't even shown he can play in college.

He wasn't even a big time recruit, so out of curiosity (since he hasn't even played) what makes you think he is an NFL caliber QB?

Honestly. Over the years when nfl scouts came to watch our practices, more were there to see Jarret Brown than Pat White. One nfl scout says that he could be drafted high because he is identical to Jamarcus Russel. And whenever he has played he has been great. He is going to be good.

our practice? what position do you play

LFO

Hall of Famer

#44 : January 27, 2009, 06:47:25 PM

Seriously?

Honestly. Over the years when nfl scouts came to watch our practices, more were there to see Jarret Brown than Pat White. One nfl scout says that he could be drafted high because he is identical to Jamarcus Russel. And whenever he has played he has been great. He is going to be good.

Identical to Russell?

He so far has shown nothing like Russell.....not coming out of high school and nothing he has done since has shown he is like him.

He might be good, but I wouldn't compare him to a #1 pick right now.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2009 CFB Thread « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools