Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: My first preliminary Mock Draft « previous next »
Page: 1

BucFan9720

Practice Squad

: January 21, 2009, 02:23:45 AM

MOCK DRAFT 1/21/08

1. Detroit Lions
Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia
- The Lions nab themselves their franchise QB for the new regime and give the fan base something to be a little excited about.

2. St. Louis Rams
Andre Smith, T, Alabama
- The Rams need to solidify their offensive line and Smith is a fantastic tackle who will start immediately and become a dominant player.

3. Kansas City Chiefs
Matt Sanchez, QB, USC
- Sanchez benefits from declaring early and becomes Scott Pioli's signature first pick and the Chiefs franchise QB. Chiefs would prefer to trade out but will find no suitors.

4. Seattle Seahawks
Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
- The Seahawks receivers a year ago were arguably the worst in the league. Crabtree re-energizes that unit with some playmaking ability.

5. Cleveland Browns
Brian Orakpo, DE/LB, Texas
- Eric Mangini is going to want to build with defense and look for a RB in the 2nd round where a guy like Iowa's Shonn Green will be waiting for them.

6. Cincinnati Bengals
Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest
- The Bengals need impact players on defense and getting Curry who could be the best player overall in the draft is a steal at this point.

7. Oakland Raiders
Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio St.
- Typical Al Davis pick. Even if they bring back Asomugha in free agency, expect Davis to want to replace the mistake that was DeAngelo Hall. Jenkins can also slide over to safety.

8. Jacksonville Jaguars
Michael Oher, T, Ole Miss
- Khalif Barnes had a bad year and David Garrard needs better blindside protection. Oher replaces Barnes and helps protect Garrard.

9. Green Bay Packers
Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois
- Packers are getting old at the corner position and also dealt with alot of injuries, with their starters both over 30. Davis will revitaliz a secondary that was the biggest weakness from a year ago.

10. San Francisco 49ers
Hakeem Nicks, WR, North Carolina
- Nicks is a tough, physical receiver that fits the persona that Mike Singletary is going to build his team around. I know this is a bit of a high projection, but the 49ers lack a #1 receiving threat and Nicks is an early-entry that should fly up the boards.

11. Buffalo Bills
Everette Brown, DE, Florida St.
- Brown is an athletic, explosive pass-rusher and the Bills desperately need someone who can bring pressure off the edge. A dark-horse candidate at this point is Northern Illinois' Larry English, who might be the best pass-rush prospect in this draft.

12. Denver Broncos
B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College
- Raji is really the only prototype 3-4 NT in this draft and this will raise his value by itself. Raji can be a dominant player and will be a starting point for a Broncos defense that is in transition.

13. Washington Redskins
Eugene Monroe, T, Virginia
- The offensive tackles are so plentiful at the top of this draft that there are going to be some steals in the middle of the round. LT isnt a need for the Redskins but Monroe can play RT and eventually slide over. He's the best player available for a Redskins team without alot of holes.

14. New Orleans Saints
Rey Maualuga, LB, USC
- Rey is a playmaking LB who is always around the ball. His physical ability overcomes his measurables as he is on the bigger side for a MLB. The Saints are in a very tricky spot with Johnathon Vilma and have cap problems to address so they will lean on the draft to fill their immediate needs.

15. Houston Texans
William Moore, S, Mizzou
- The Texans are the best team in the league who finished 8-8 or worse, and an immediate impact player like Moore can help boost them into their first ever playoff birth. Moore should provide immediate help to an average at best secondary.

16. San Diego Chargers
Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
- Moreno is the best RB in this draft and if teams werent starting to look at RB-by-committee systems, he would go higher in this draft. Even if LT returns for another year, having a player like Moreno waiting in the wings and backing him up will keep him fresh and Philip Rivers happy.

17. New York Jets
Brian Cushing, LB, USC
- I dont care much for Cushing as a player, I personally think he is going to be a bust. But I just know NFL teams are going to fall in love with his pedigree, his measurables, and his size. Rex Ryan defense relies on hybrid players and Cushing can rush from a 3-pt stance and play linebacker.

18. Chicago Bears
Jeremy Maclin, WR, Mizzou
- Maclin is not the 3rd best receiver in this draft, but his speed and play making ability is going to get him drafted higher than he should. He defines explosive and the Bears are itching to become a more explosive offense.

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Peria Jerry, DT, Ole Miss
- Jerry is on the light side when it comes to DT, but he is a talented pass rusher. He is definitely going to have to get stronger, but he has the talent to be an explosive player on the inside.

20. Detroit Lions- from Dallas
Jason Smith, T, Baylor
- Smith was victim of a very deep offensive tackle class. Most years Smith would be the 1st or 2nd tackle taken, but the Lions wont complain. Their offensive line was once again terrible and Stafford is going to someone to protect him. Solid draft already for the Lions.

21. Philadelphia Eagles
Beanie Wells, RB, Ohio St.
- Lets face it; Brian Westbrook is not a good runner between the tackles. He is great on the perimeter and in the passing game, but the Eagles need a guy who they can really center a running game around. Wells provides that and lightens the beating the injury-prone Westbrook takes.

22. Minnesota Vikings
Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State
- Pettigrew is a flat-out animal and the Vikings need to get Tarvaris Jackson or whoever is playing QB more of a safe option for him rather than ask him to force the ball to the receivers. Pettigrew is also an outstanding blocker which will fit in well in Minnesota.

23. New England Patriots
Aaron Maybin, LB, Penn St.
- I do not project Maybin as a DE in the NFL, his frame is just too small and adding 30+ pounds is not in his best interest. Maybin is an outstanding pass-rusher who plays with alot of passion and a motor that doesnt quit. He is a great replacement on defense for Mike Vrable when the time comes for Vrable to hang em up.

24. Atlanta Falcons
Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest
- I have Smith as my 3rd best corner in the draft and Atlanta is a team on the upswing, but their defense needs to improve and a corner will help. If the Falcons were ready to declare Jamaal Anderson a bust, theres a couple defensive ends that would be worth picking up.

25. Miami Dolphins
Kenny Britt, WR, Rutgers
- The Dolphins receiving core is primarily smaller receivers. Britt brings size, toughness, and production to go along Ted Ginn to help Miami grow offensively. I do expect the Dolphins to drop-off from last years success, seeing as there is typically 4 teams or so that make the playoffs one year and fail to the next.

26. Baltimore Ravens
Clint Stintim, LB, Virginia
- I dont want to toss around the rebuild word for the Ravens after such a successful season, but that defense is going to get picked apart in free agency. It is hard to justify giving Ray Lewis another big contract, Terrell Suggs is going to have a rather large price tag, and Bart Scott is a free agent, not to mention their DC is up in New York now. Stintim begins the replenishing of the Ravens LB core.

27. Indianapolis Colts
Sen'Derrick Marks, DT, Auburn
- The Colts were using players that would be special teamers and practice squad types on most rosters at DT last year. Marks helps bring a boost to a unit that he can contribute immediately to. There are rumors in Indy that they would like to draft a receiver early in the draft to replace Harrison, so Percy Harvin and Darrius Heyward-Bey are possibilities.

28. Philadelphia Eagles from Carolina
Phil Loadholt, G/T, Oklahoma
- The way this draft is playing out, I would expect teams to trade back into the first round to get some of the tackles that are "dropping" down. Loadholt was a tackle at Oklahoma but I think because of his size and ability projects better as a guard. He reminds me a lot of Davin Joseph.

29. New York Giants
James Lauranitis, LB, Ohio St.
- Lauranitis was a great college player, but I do not think he will be very good at the next level. He is a productive player but I feel he lacks the ability to be a great pro. He could be solid but I doubt he is anywhere as heralded in the NFL as he was in college. He can play outside linebacker and thats where I feel he ends up at the next level.

30. Tennessee Titans
Percy Harvin, WR, Florida
- The Titans love to draft players with impressive athletic ability and explosiveness. Harvin would help make the Titans have one of the fastest skill player units in the league and would prove a valuable depth threat for whoever they stick at QB.

31. Arizona Cardinals
LaSean McCoy, RB, Pittsburgh
- McCoy is a do-it-all type back who breaks games open with his playmaking ability. His size is a question for some, but the Cardinals are more of a pass-based offense and McCoy will likely be in a RB committee with Tim Hightower. Sensible pick for the Cardinals.

32. Pittsburgh Steelers
Alex Mack, C, California
- Mack is a dominant center and the Steelers need help on the offensive line. Big Ben holds onto the football longer than any QB in the league I can think of and protection is important for him. The Steelers offensive line is an average unit, but Mack is the best lineman on the board.

Notable players falling out of the 1st round, but have 1st round grades
Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech
Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland
Eben Britton, T, Arizona
William Beatty, T, Oregon
Max Unger, C, Oregon
Larry English, DE, Northern Illinois
D.J. Moore, CB, Vanderbilt

Rest of the Bucs Draft...

Round 2: Josh Freeman, QB, Kansas St. - I have him as the 4th QB taken in this draft, as Graham Harrell is climbing up the draft boards. Freeman should take a year to develop before he is the full-time starter.
Round 3: Austin Collie, WR, BYU - Extremely productive receiver who is a great route runner and should be the best receiver on the board at this point. Florida's Louis Murphy or Washington State's Brandon Gibson are also great options if available.
Round 4: Stryker Sulak, DE, Mizzou - Will be a good situational pass-rusher and solid special teamer. Has big-play potential, forcing 6 fumbles and notching 10.5 sacks as a senior.
Round 5: Cary Harris, CB, USC - Is a fantastic fit for the style of play expected in Tampa. Is a big, aggressive corner and will play special teams. Could be a pleasant suprise and another Day 2 secondary steal.
Round 6: Deon Butler, WR, Penn St. - A darkhorse to make the roster, but is a talented receiver and is better than Derrick Williams who will probably go 2-3 rounds higher.
Round 7: James Holt, LB, Kansas - Special teams contributor who could develop into something down the road.

Questions, comments, concerns? Input would be greatly appreciated.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#1 : January 21, 2009, 05:07:06 AM

The Bengals would be crazy to pass up Brown or Monroe/Oher, when they are weak in the trenches, to take Curry. LB in the top 10 has no value historically, and they just took Rivers top 10 last year. Has any team ever taken two LBs in the top 10 within 5 years of each other, much less back to back?

You have Monroe going way low. Are you not high on him?

Maclin/Hester would be ultra-dangerous, but completely repetitive.

Minnesota doesn't need to replace Shiancoe to get more help for Jackson, so much as they need to replace Jackson to get more help for Shiancoe. He was one of the few bright spots of their passing offense last year.

Loadholt is way tall for a guard, and his pass pro isn't as terrible as it's made out to be. He's had a lot of trouble with guys like Orakpo, but thats to be expected. He's still a legit RT prospect, and one of the better ones that have come out recently. Much better than Cherilus last year IMO. He's a good pick for the Eagles though, either to replace Runyan at RT or even Thomas at LT with how big they like their OL.

For us, I like the Jerry pick. IMO Freeman will be gone by our 2nd. He's a much better prospect than Harrell. I like your 5th and 6th round picks, but I've watched Mizzou a lot the past 2 years and Sulak never really impressed me.

Pteranodon

Pro Bowler

#2 : January 21, 2009, 10:11:46 AM

From the players still around at 19 I would take Jason Smith, Pettigrew, and Lauranitis before Jerry. Guess you're not a big fan of Lauranitis but he seems like a faster Ruud. Pettigrew is close but only because TE isn't a real important position for some offenses but a good one can be the go to player. Jason Smith is just too much of a LT to pass on and Penn is okay but not good enough to pass on a real LT.

Booker

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 21, 2009, 10:19:17 AM

KC is not taking a QB with Thigpen emerging last year

bfarbs

Pro Bowler
#4 : January 21, 2009, 11:12:47 AM

Overall, looks pretty good.  Only major observation is fact that you have overestimated the importance of WRs.  I think last year was a good sign of what we will see in terms of value being attributed to the WR position. If you have a good line, anyone can get open and catch the ball and the WR position is one of highest in terms of bust potential.  Teams are more likely to go oline or dline vs. WR.  Seahawks wont go WR in Round 1. Rememer, Tim Ruskell is their GM. He learned from his time in Tampa to lean away from taking  a WR in Round 1.  They could easily go offensive line as well as their Left Tackle, Walter Jones, is 35. I also dont see Singletary going WR.  That wouldnt mesh with his personality.  I think they will go oline, defense, or QB.  I doubt Parcells goes WR in Round 1 though I agree it is a glaring need.  Personally, I think the Dolphins will aggressively target Antonio Bryant in free agency to avoid having to go WR in Round 1, another reason it is imperative to sign Bryant to a long term deal soon.

BucFan9720

Practice Squad

#5 : January 21, 2009, 01:03:45 PM

The Bengals would be crazy to pass up Brown or Monroe/Oher, when they are weak in the trenches, to take Curry. LB in the top 10 has no value historically, and they just took Rivers top 10 last year. Has any team ever taken two LBs in the top 10 within 5 years of each other, much less back to back?

You have Monroe going way low. Are you not high on him?

Maclin/Hester would be ultra-dangerous, but completely repetitive.

Minnesota doesn't need to replace Shiancoe to get more help for Jackson, so much as they need to replace Jackson to get more help for Shiancoe. He was one of the few bright spots of their passing offense last year.

Loadholt is way tall for a guard, and his pass pro isn't as terrible as it's made out to be. He's had a lot of trouble with guys like Orakpo, but thats to be expected. He's still a legit RT prospect, and one of the better ones that have come out recently. Much better than Cherilus last year IMO. He's a good pick for the Eagles though, either to replace Runyan at RT or even Thomas at LT with how big they like their OL.

For us, I like the Jerry pick. IMO Freeman will be gone by our 2nd. He's a much better prospect than Harrell. I like your 5th and 6th round picks, but I've watched Mizzou a lot the past 2 years and Sulak never really impressed me.

The pieces kinda fell that way for Monroe and Smith in this draft. Theres a surplus of left tackles this year and after the run on them last year the market isnt as big for one. Teams like Atlanta and Houston would be interested in a 1st round tackle if they didnt trade back or trade up to take one last year. I really cant see the 49ers going with a defensive player this year; they need to get some talent on offense in a bad way.

Freeman I'm confident will be available when the Bucs pick in the 2nd round. Harrell will be the 3rd QB off the board somewhere between picks 33-49, leaving us with the 50th pick free to take him. Whether or not we actually do is yet to be seen, as we passed on Chad Henne and Brian Brohm a year ago.

As for the Bengals, Curry is probably the most talented player in the draft this year. There is pressure for them to win now and they have a solid LT already, so drafting what is essentially a RT with that high of a pick knowing that they can address the position later with a good player cause the position is so deep is enough cause for them to build on defense.

#6 : January 21, 2009, 03:21:13 PM

I honestly doubt the Chiefs take a QB in round 1, that D managed to get 10 sacks TOTAL for a team. That is terrible, they have Thingpen who they may just groom.

MBF

Hall of Famer

#7 : January 21, 2009, 04:10:50 PM

That is terrible, they have Thingpen who they may just groom.
IAWTC

They may have a gem in Thigpen, he did burn Ronde afterall

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#8 : January 22, 2009, 11:44:45 PM

The pieces kinda fell that way for Monroe and Smith in this draft. Theres a surplus of left tackles this year and after the run on them last year the market isnt as big for one. Teams like Atlanta and Houston would be interested in a 1st round tackle if they didnt trade back or trade up to take one last year. I really cant see the 49ers going with a defensive player this year; they need to get some talent on offense in a bad way.

I just think Monroe is one of the top 5/10 players in the draft, and at that premium position, guys don't usually fall. Especially with Monroe coming from the same school that produced D'Brick and Albert the past two years and he's a better athlete than Albert and bigger and stronger in the run game than Brick.

Freeman I'm confident will be available when the Bucs pick in the 2nd round. Harrell will be the 3rd QB off the board somewhere between picks 33-49, leaving us with the 50th pick free to take him. Whether or not we actually do is yet to be seen, as we passed on Chad Henne and Brian Brohm a year ago.

Harrell vs. Freeman in workouts and measureables is a run-away for Freeman. And this is even assuming that he has any ground to make up. I think many have Freeman above Harrell already, and if he works out well, that gap is only going to get wider. Much wider. And this is a poor QB class, which makes teams take a closer look at Freeman. In a better QB draft, his issues may be bigger. But then again, I think in a better QB draft, Harrell isn't even a top 4 round pick.

As for the Bengals, Curry is probably the most talented player in the draft this year. There is pressure for them to win now and they have a solid LT already, so drafting what is essentially a RT with that high of a pick knowing that they can address the position later with a good player cause the position is so deep is enough cause for them to build on defense.

He's a LB. How many LBs have gone top 10 this decade? Pat Willis was a safe player, incredibly consistent, versatile game, sideline to sideline player, played through a major arm injury, timed very fast at the Combine, and he wasn't a top 10 pick. I don't really think Curry has been more impressive in college.

And Levi Jones was a good LT about 4 years ago. Since, he's under-achieved and missed quite a few games. I don't think it's safe at all to say that a highly talented rookie would automatically be at RT this season, much less long-term. The Bungles defense needs to learn from their last fews 1st rounders. You don't build a defense from the BACK forward, you build it up FRONT. Their line is in shambles. Adding another LB isn't going to make a huge difference right now or any time soon, unless they plan on completely re-vamping their line. Which is why I mentioned Brown for them. They've got Rivers, solid Mikes are one of the easiest positions in the NFL to find, strongside guys are a dime a dozen. But franchise LTs and Pro Bowl pass rushers are worth their weight in gold, not only in FA but in the draft.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#9 : January 22, 2009, 11:52:32 PM

I question minnesota taking a TE.

Shiancoe has been doing well.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: My first preliminary Mock Draft « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools