Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Southern Comfort Prime Rib (per AlienBBQ at thesmokering.com forums) « previous next »
Page: 1

Scurvy

Practice Squad

: January 21, 2009, 10:06:07 PM

5 lb. Prime Rib Roast
4 oz. 100 Proof Southern Comfort
2 oz. Horseradish Mustard
2 tblspn. Rosemary/Garlic seasoning
2 tblspn. Six Pepper **CENSORED**e Blend
1 gal. Ziploc Bag
Olive Oil

Place the prime rib in the Ziploc bag and add the Southern Comfort to the bag. Close the bag and place in the fridge overnight or for at least 4 hours. You can turn or flip the bag every 30 minutes or so if you go the quick route. The important thing is to remember to keep the meat covered with the liquid as best as you can.

After marinating, remove the meat and slather up with the horseradish mustard. I chose this mustard to offset the sweetness of the Southern Comfort. Flavor balance is important in a good BBQ dish.

Next add the dry rub mixture of pepper, garlic, and rosemary. Again, this marriage of **CENSORED**es offers heat, sweetness, and savory flavors to the recipe.

Once the meat is ready, place it in a preheated smoker at 225 degrees. I placed a drip pan under the meat to catch the drippings but I never had any. This is because I am cooking this to only 130 degrees, spritzing with 50/50 mix of Southern Comfort and olive oil every 1/2 hour.

After about 3-4 hours, the prime rib will be ready to come off the smoker. It is important to note that prime rib is safe to eat once it hits 125 degrees. I cooked mine to 130. Do not try and cook this by using the time method, a good digital probe should be used to monitor the temp to get it right.
Remove the meat from the smoker and let rest for 20 minutes

Slice the meat going against the grain. You will now have on your plate, some of the best tasting meat on the market. The flavor of the SC and rub will not mask the meatiness of the prime rib and the juices will be bread-sopping good.

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7009

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#1 : January 21, 2009, 11:19:23 PM

My GF orders princess cuts all the time.  I like Prime Rib, but not as much as a classic steak (ribeye, or strip) on the grill.  But this recipe has a lot of chutzpah, and I will attempt it after a nice case of cold beer, and a hot summer day...

Gonna print this recipe right now...

Calvin Johnson

Hall of Famer

#2 : January 22, 2009, 12:47:29 AM

Bro this looks amazinnnng! Can't wait to try these out for spring break and over the summer. You got any side dish receipes that go great with this dish? like **CENSORED**y cajun potatoe salad? I am willing to try out new receipes.

#3 : January 24, 2009, 12:26:24 AM

now youre speaking my language, Im a big SoCo fan

lovethe bucs

Second String

#4 : January 24, 2009, 08:18:54 AM

Ive cooked the same thing, but I use baby back ribs and cook it on the grill
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Southern Comfort Prime Rib (per AlienBBQ at thesmokering.com forums) « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools