Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: FA Shopping Spree « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 7 8 9

LFO

Hall of Famer

#120 : January 27, 2009, 06:44:36 PM

Ummm - Dal - the MVP of the Motor City Bowl doesn't quite equate to what Tebow has done... from any standpoint - just sayin' with my back firmly against a wall...

Roth was a better prospect than Tebow and he was a MAC player. Where you play college doesn't mean jack.  Tebow is a fabulous college QB but again that is college and not the pros and what you are projected to be in the latter has very little to do with the former.

No, it doesn't. 

But far less talented QB's than Tebow have been drafted and drafted high, even top 10. 

If anything, Tebow and Leftwich are pretty similar.  Leftwich has a little stronger arm, but Tebow has more upside and potential at this point.  He is also far more agile, and appears to have great character, work ethic, and other intangibles you can't teach.  They both share some of the same weaknesses, both now and when they left college.

Tebow has a couple issues, primarily questions about release and reading defenses.  Neither are so great that say he can't be an NFL QB, and neither are things coaching and experience can't help "cure."

Which is why, Tebow will be drafted, drafted early, and be drafted as a QB.

You can continue to doubt him all you want - that is fine and your opinion and prerogative.  I actually like it.....it will be funny to see so many eating crow when all is said and done.

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#121 : January 28, 2009, 09:39:48 AM

Ummm - Dal - the MVP of the Motor City Bowl doesn't quite equate to what Tebow has done... from any standpoint - just sayin' with my back firmly against a wall...

Roth was a better prospect than Tebow and he was a MAC player. Where you play college doesn't mean jack.  Tebow is a fabulous college QB but again that is college and not the pros and what you are projected to be in the latter has very little to do with the former.

No, it doesn't. 

But far less talented QB's than Tebow have been drafted and drafted high, even top 10. 

If anything, Tebow and Leftwich are pretty similar.  Leftwich has a little stronger arm, but Tebow has more upside and potential at this point.  He is also far more agile, and appears to have great character, work ethic, and other intangibles you can't teach.  They both share some of the same weaknesses, both now and when they left college.

Tebow has a couple issues, primarily questions about release and reading defenses.  Neither are so great that say he can't be an NFL QB, and neither are things coaching and experience can't help "cure."

Which is why, Tebow will be drafted, drafted early, and be drafted as a QB.

You can continue to doubt him all you want - that is fine and your opinion and prerogative.  I actually like it.....it will be funny to see so many eating crow when all is said and done.

The amazing thing is TWO GUYS - a guy who would have had the Colts draft Ryan Leaf over Peyton Manning and another who is a former "scout" who is so great he's writing for football magazines - say Tebow can't make it in the NFL. If these guys were always on the money, Terrell Davis, Tom Brady, and a host of future hall of famers would be top round picks while the cavalcade of busts would be in the later rounds or never drafted.

No one knows how Tebow's game will translate to the NFL - that's the problem. There's never been a player like him. He may redefine the position - he may never be more than a back up. We won't know until next season.

I haven't seen anyone (but Kiper) say he won't be drafted in the first 3 rounds...and that's kinda an affirmation that at least one team will believe he can make it.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#122 : January 28, 2009, 09:46:55 AM

No one knows how Tebow's game will translate to the NFL - that's the problem. There's never been a player like him. He may redefine the position - he may never be more than a back up. We won't know until next season.

There have been a ton of guys like him. There are about 2-3 guys like him every year. Pat White and Chase Daniels this year are the same guy <insert your Tim is SO much better than those guys due (imaginary explanation)>. Spread QB's with huge numbers and some running ability coupled with questions passing accuracy. The fact that you, or anyone, think he is going to redefine the position is over the top. Last guy going to do that was Vick and we all know, even pre-Rover abuse, how that was working out and Vick is a better athlete than Tebow.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#123 : January 28, 2009, 09:51:08 AM

There have been a ton of guys like him. There are about 2-3 guys like him every year. Pat White and Chase Daniels this year are the same guy <insert your Tim is SO much better than those guys due (imaginary explanation)>. Spread QB's with huge numbers and some running ability coupled with questions passing accuracy. The fact that you, or anyone, think he is going to redefine the position is over the top. Last guy going to do that was Vick and we all know, even pre-Rover abuse, how that was working out and Vick is a better athlete than Tebow.

Okay, I'll play. Pat White and Chase Daniels do not have the physical attributes of size, strength, throwing power or accuracy that Tebow possesses. White has more quicks - Daniels doesn't. Comparing him to either of those two or any spread QB that came before him is ridonkulous. He's the Jevon Kearse of QBs - he's a freak and no one really knows what to make of him...

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#124 : January 28, 2009, 09:54:06 AM

White and Daniel are tiny. If you're going to compare Tebow to a successful college player who didn't make it in the NFL, at least use Jared Zabransky or someone who has an NFL body.

Side question: What is your take on why Donovan McNabb was able to successfully transfer from an option offense at Syracuse to the WCO in the NFL?

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#125 : January 28, 2009, 09:58:27 AM

he's a freak and no one really knows what to make of him...

If he's a freak he'd be in the draft getting taken ahead of the top 2 "mediocre" QB's in it. He is still looking at being the 3rd QB behind two guys I'm not that high on any ways - McCoy and Bradford. He went back trying to be a better passer so he'd get drafted like people like you think he should be drafted. We'll see how that works out for him but I'm skeptical that's gonna change. Will get get overdrafted, sure. Shaun King did. Hell, Quincy Carter did and someone can talk themselves into a lot of things with Tebow but in terms of being a (quality) NFL player he's not.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#126 : January 28, 2009, 10:01:49 AM

he's a freak and no one really knows what to make of him...

If he's a freak he'd be in the draft getting taken ahead of the top 2 "mediocre" QB's in it.

Why did the Bucs select McFarland over Kearse?

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#127 : January 28, 2009, 10:03:18 AM

White and Daniel are tiny. If you're going to compare Tebow to a successful college player who didn't make it in the NFL, at least use Jared Zabransky or someone who has an NFL body.

Side question: What is your take on why Donovan McNabb was able to successfully transfer from an option offense at Syracuse to the WCO in the NFL?

Tebow is wide not tall and wide doesn't matter all that much. I don't think he's all that much an NFL body.

The option at the 'Cuse was a lot more "conventional" than the current breed of option offenses. The option parts were goofy but most of the passing game pasted on top of it was pretty straight laced 2 WR type stuff. This was also pre-bubble screen rules so he was tossing a lot more "meaningful" passes.

I really think that when you look, and to take the focus off Living God, at a guy like McCoy the fact that he throws 80% of his passes under 5 yards really mal-develops him for the NFL game.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#128 : January 28, 2009, 10:08:56 AM

Tebow is wide not tall and wide doesn't matter all that much. I don't think he's all that much an NFL body.

6'3" isn't tall?  6'3" and 240 isn't an NFL body?  McNair was 6-2 and 230.  He was a horse in the NFL.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#129 : January 28, 2009, 10:15:22 AM

Yeah, he's officially listed as 6' 3". Even if they're embellishing and he's only 6' 2", that puts him in line with a third of the league: Pennington, Warner, Rodgers, Romo, Garrard, and Favre, among others. It's not like you have to use Drew Brees, the only 6' 0" in the league, as a success story. As far as his girth, Roethlisberger, Culpepper, McNair and plenty others have been that thick and been to Pro Bowls and Super Bowls. If Tebow fails, it definitely won't be because he is too short or "wide".

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#130 : January 28, 2009, 08:49:59 PM

Once again, you give us further evidence that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Tebow is nothing like Daniels, Vick, or White.

Vick was a better "athlete' but he couldn't throw.  Daniels and White aren't even close to Tebow's size, nor do they have his arm. 

Thanks for the laugh.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#131 : January 28, 2009, 08:58:07 PM

The option at the 'Cuse was a lot more "conventional" than the current breed of option offenses. The option parts were goofy but most of the passing game pasted on top of it was pretty straight laced 2 WR type stuff. This was also pre-bubble screen rules so he was tossing a lot more "meaningful" passes.

I really think that when you look, and to take the focus off Living God, at a guy like McCoy the fact that he throws 80% of his passes under 5 yards really mal-develops him for the NFL game.

Wide not tall?  WOW, your ignorance just keeps getting better and better.

And watching UF religiously during Tebow's tenure, I'd actually say they throw far too few bubble screens and the like......  UF does run a spread option, but UF doesn't even run a whole lot of "option" run plays.  If you want to knock Tebow playing from the shotgun, fine.  But it's not like that is something that can't be learned (under center).  Bradford is pretty much the same way, as are many college QB's these days. 

I have seen Tebow make every throw on the field, and generally with pretty damn good accuracy.  I actually think the Tebow/McNabb comparison is kind of close, from size to type of offense played.
Page: 1 ... 7 8 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: FA Shopping Spree « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools