Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: FA Shopping Spree « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 9

michael89156

Hall of Famer

#15 : January 25, 2009, 05:24:22 PM

leftwich sucks, ward is no good. Build through draft

Ward rushed for over 1000 yards this season.

#16 : January 25, 2009, 05:26:34 PM

LOL, Derrick Ward is no good? Please, he would easily be the best RB on this team if he signed here.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#17 : January 25, 2009, 05:38:48 PM

Leftwich is not the answer.  He is what he is, and he is not a guy who is going to revive his career as a Buc.  As a Steeler, he had the benefit of a run game, and a stout defense.  As a Falcon, he was god awful.  He will be in a similar circumstance with the Bucs this season...he will be more Leftwich the Falcon, than Leftwich the Steeler, or Jag.  Long windup, terribly slow, not the most accurate fellow in the world, older, and not worth the gamble.

McCown at least the potential of upside, considering the limited exposure he has had.  I harped on his NFL record, but you have to consider where he racked up a majority of his losses.  I mentioned this as well.  He is an enigma as of right now...but so is the BUcs team as of right now.

Leftwich is a dud.  Tough as nails, but not worth the stop gap mentality.  But it could happen, given the Glazers penchant for being cheap, and looking for bargain basement type deals.

MBF

Hall of Famer

#18 : January 25, 2009, 05:39:30 PM

When you say Davis, Dalbuc, are you talking about Anthony Davis?  Dude was released for beating on the service staff at some midnight-breakfast joint, along with Bennett.  Denny's maybe?
IHOP.

Your FA signings look pretty good, Peppers would be a nice addition and I could live with Leftwich starting. Derrick Ward is also an intriguing player, he could really flourish in the right situation.

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#19 : January 25, 2009, 05:42:46 PM

Leftwich has stated he wants to go to the Bears........but who knows, they may be in love with Orton and not want to pay any big bucks for Leftwich.
I'm not sure he said he wants to go to the Bears. I believe he said tell them to call. He probably just wants to go where he can start.

PoorRichard

Starter

#20 : January 25, 2009, 05:54:24 PM

Leftwich?? Is this thread a joke???

#21 : January 25, 2009, 06:01:12 PM

A little difficult to figure out who's going to fit our system when we're not sure what that system is yet. At any rate, the options really aren't very good.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#22 : January 25, 2009, 06:03:11 PM

I'd like to see Leftwich here if possible and if he would fit the system we are going to run. He's a good QB.

michael89156

Hall of Famer

#23 : January 25, 2009, 06:15:13 PM

Kerry Collins anyone?        ;D

SkoolFL

Starter
#24 : January 25, 2009, 06:21:40 PM

QB:
Bryon Leftwich. We need a starting QB and Bryon is the best FA QB on the market. Big arm, good starting experience. He's has a slow delivery and moves like a statue and he gets sacked more often than most NFL QB's. Still, he has a plus TD:INT ratio for his career so he takes care of the ball. His accuracy is below average (58%) but bearable. I am looking for a guy to hold the fort until we get a real player in here. He's about as good as placeholders get. He's not a championship calibre QB but he's not an excuse for flopping either.

Kyle Boller. A former R1 pick with all the physical tools. He's not terribly accurate (56%) but he does have a slightly positive TD:INR ratio. He's well below 30 and has good athleticism. He's been a starter but has been depsoed for 2 years. He should have the right mentality to be a long term useful backup in this league. There's a way, way outside chance he doesn't suck and just needed time to overcome the Tedford influence on his career.

I know a lot of folks like McCown but he's got no real skins on his wall. His lack of production makes him a blank slate and people are projecting all sorts of greatness onto that blank slate. I think his slate is clear because he's not that talented.

RB:
Derrick Ward might be the most desirable guy but he wants to be a featured abck and if Caddy and Graham gets right he's just going to be commitee man. I need a guy who can be a role player with our RB corps but I don't see anyone I really like in the mix. I can live with our 3 RB's and try and find that role player in the mid-late rounds of the draft.

WR:
Ahh yes. Call the cavalry. Galloway becomes my 3rd WR, slot guy who can use his speed w/o getting jostled too much at the line. Useful but reduced role given his age/injury role. I thus need the 1,2 and 4,5 WR's. I want speed and a threat to do more than just the ball and fall down like Ike Hilliard. Re-sign Bryant. This scares me to no end since you wonder if he got his head on right because he was out of the game and if you give him big $$$$ does he get stupid again. still, he performed well last year and has the tools and background to suggest he should be a good player. For my 2 and 4 guys I go and get a mix of these cats: Brandon Jones and Shaun McDonald. My new 5th can be found in the draft or if Jackson turns into not-trash, sorry Stovall go make special teams tackles somewhere else.

TE
There's no one out there to make me scream and if I'm spending money I can do it better elsewhere. Dump The Rapist while I'm at it and figure I can dreg up a 3rd TE from plenty of places. Plus, I've beefed up the WR so we don't need to worry as much about this spot.

OL:
Tempting place to spend money and there are plenty of decent OG's type out there but if there is anything we don't need it is another OG. Re-sign Davis for depth and OT becomes a spot to try and upgrade in the draft.

DL:
OK, here's where the big $$$$ goes. Haynesworth or Peppers. Very tough call but I'll go with Peppers because he's been more consistently productive and I worry Albert will slack with the big $$$. Peppers is a legit pass rusher and we are talking $15m per for him. He dominates on the LDE spot and will make Adams a lot more effective because teams will cheat towards Julius and also Peppers will flush guys to him. Try and add depth at DT with John Thornton from CIN.

LB
Not shopping here for anyone. Someone out of the 8 trillion LB's we've drafted the last 2 years has to be a player.

DB:
Try and bring back Cory Ivy. He's a decent nickle player and he's still great on teams. Weed replaces P-Buc at starting CB. Sabby has to step up into Jermaine's place because I can't make the numbers work if I give what I think he'll get and that is about $5m per year.

You figure $15m for Peppers, $5m for Bryon and $10m for Bryant and you are at $30m already. I'm guessing about an average of $1.5m per for the rest of the spares so that comes up $9m.  We're under the cap but not very far but then again average cost is usually a big of fiction since the backend of most deals has some bogus figures so this might be lower.

Still, cap room is only useful if you use it.

Not only is your analysis a bit flawed but there is no way a player has a cap number of 15 mil!  The other cap numbers are off too, but that one is just comical! 

(Formerly Solja, and Turk)....Its good to be back!

Check out the music I started making this offseason!

www.Facebook.com/SkoolFL  www.Youtube.com/SkoolFL  www.Twitter.com/SkoolFL

#25 : January 25, 2009, 06:26:51 PM

No to Leftwich or Boller.

We've seen the best they have to offer and i'd rather sink or swim with Luke. If he does well, so be it. If he flounders, we get a higher draft pick. Neither of those guys would have a long term future here..... and they'd both be painful to watch.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#26 : January 25, 2009, 07:08:12 PM

I'd like to see Leftwich here if possible and if he would fit the system we are going to run. He's a good QB.
What system are we running?

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#27 : January 25, 2009, 09:14:44 PM

Not only is your analysis a bit flawed but there is no way a player has a cap number of 15 mil!  The other cap numbers are off too, but that one is just comical! 

Umm, the Franchise number for DE's could be that that high, maybe higher on a one year deal.

http://www.catscratchreader.com/2008/12/3/678855/a-peppers-franchise-tag-co

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#28 : January 25, 2009, 09:27:17 PM

Without knowing the OC, its impossible to select a QB at this point.  BTW, I wouldn't even dream of paying Leftwich $5M.  I don't have a problem bringing him in, but he is a back up caliber player, and should be paid like one. 

As for Haynesworth vs Peppers, its a no brainer to go with AH.  He was the best defensive player in the league last year, and we need a DT more than a pass rushing end. 

Kazmir06

Rookie

#29 : January 25, 2009, 09:45:29 PM

We are not gonna spend 15m for peppers i can promise you that id much be able to sign philips and a few other guys if it means not getting julius peppers get a good DT and you will see we dont need a DE
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: FA Shopping Spree « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools