Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: FA Shopping Spree « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9

#30 : January 25, 2009, 09:55:38 PM

No to Leftwich....while his INT numbers might be good, what about fumbles?  I don't have that number at hand, but his motion of having his throwing arm low all the time scares the crap outta me.  Boller?  If he can't cut it in Baltimore, he can't cut it here either IMO.  Luke is Luke and there is no real history on the guy....is there a reason for this other than Jon wanted a vet QB running the show?  Good question requiring a better answer.  Not sure about Luke.  The QB situation may become more clear once we decide what type offense we're gonna run.

I do like the Haynesworth/Peppers assessment.  I too would prefer Julius over Albert.

And Dal brings up a good point about #89.....in the back of your mind you have to worry about him reverting back to his "old ways" if he gets huge $$$.  With all of his talent, you'd like to think that's all behind him, but with today's players, you never know.

Derrick Ward?   Ahhhhh, the possibilities!  If you can get a Derrick Ward, jump on him.  He and Graham could committee just like he and Jacobs.  That said, if you pay him starter $$$.....

LFO

Hall of Famer

#31 : January 25, 2009, 10:42:34 PM

And Dal brings up a good point about #89.....in the back of your mind you have to worry about him reverting back to his "old ways" if he gets huge $$$.  With all of his talent, you'd like to think that's all behind him, but with today's players, you never know.

Or, whether or not he will "clash" with Raheem/New OC.  It seems to me most of his problems at previous stops came from clashes with coaches.  It seemed he and Gruden "clicked" and had a mutual respect for each other.

Perhaps it was all just coincidence being a 1-year revive his career deal, but maybe just maybe Gruden was able to tap that talent and get the most out of him. 

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#32 : January 25, 2009, 10:56:27 PM

What has Bryant done, in terms of playing football, that has scared people?

If he is involved, and you WANT him involved because he makes plays, then life is good.  If you are winning, life is good.  The same applies for ANY DAMNED PLAYER WORTH HIS SALT IN THE NFL.  THEY will complain when they lose.  Espescially wideouts, stranded on their little islands.  Bryant could care less if he has 50 yards, on three catches, but if you  play for FG's, and everyone senses it, then he gets pissed if you do not take a shot...he is pretty smart.  He will not revert.  He is a legit #1 guy for the BUcs.  He does not trash his teammates, and he demands respect, because he gives it.

The Parcells issue I actually sympathize with him.  Parcells actually calls him.  The NINERS deal, the coach wanted him back...lobbied for him, as a matter of fact.  Straight from his own mouth.  Bryant is a damned good wideout, and DESERVES his cash.  He should have had one more TD this year, and a few more yards added to his totals, but they were called back by bonehead penalties.  Remember those?

He is smart, fromthe couch into Grudens vaunted, enigmatic, "intellectual" verbiaged offense, and to produce pro-bowl type numbers after a slow start is awesome.  Give him the damn cash, let him play under the young coach who is going to understand this, just like the older coach who KNEW this.  He has a temper, but make plays, and life is good.  I do the same damned crap he does when he is wide open, or a play could have been made and was missed...and a lot of you guys do too.  We flail our arms, and piss and moan, and gripe.  He is entitled to throw his arms up from time to time.  His life is invested in it.

Bryant will be fine.  He will not "blow up" when you give him dollars. 

BTW, I loved it when he called out Emmit and Dild...errrr...Dilfer...because if you listened to the interview, he was dead on right.

And Haynesworth is far >>>>> than Peppers in terms of this defense.  And I am pretty sure the BUcs are running a Base 4-3, with some changes tweaked in here and there.

And still, Hell no to Leftwich, to Boller...that is absurd to consider it.  Leftwich is not in Jacksonvile with the biggest DTs combined starting in the NFL.  He is not a filler in Pitt with a run game, and a beastly defense.  He will be on a team in serious transition, and that smacks of his stint in ATL. 

Corey Ivy is meh.  Whatever, ya know?

docbravo

Pro Bowler

#33 : January 25, 2009, 11:47:58 PM

Leftwich is not the answer.  He is what he is, and he is not a guy who is going to revive his career as a Buc.  As a Steeler, he had the benefit of a run game, and a stout defense.  As a Falcon, he was god awful.  He will be in a similar circumstance with the Bucs this season...he will be more Leftwich the Falcon, than Leftwich the Steeler, or Jag.  Long windup, terribly slow, not the most accurate fellow in the world, older, and not worth the gamble.

McCown at least the potential of upside, considering the limited exposure he has had.  I harped on his NFL record, but you have to consider where he racked up a majority of his losses.  I mentioned this as well.  He is an enigma as of right now...but so is the BUcs team as of right now.

Leftwich is a dud.  Tough as nails, but not worth the stop gap mentality.  But it could happen, given the Glazers penchant for being cheap, and looking for bargain basement type deals.

TRUE FREAKIN STORY!
I lived in Jacksonville and watched Byron in his "Prime." He is not what the Bucs need. This guy was drafted waaay to high, is waaaay to Injury Prone, and has waaaay to much attitude to be a Buc. He felt he was "God's Gift to Jacksonville" from Day 1! He would absolutely be the "Leftwich the Falcon" as Boid correctly put it!

Luke "Throw it Downtown" McCown for my free agent money!

LFO

Hall of Famer

#34 : January 25, 2009, 11:55:56 PM

Funny how Dalbuc bashes Tebow but is here pimping Leftwich, and Boller. 

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#35 : January 25, 2009, 11:59:23 PM

Funny how Dalbuc bashes Tebow but is here pimping Leftwich, and Boller.

There are many, many, many people bashing Tebow the NFL QB.

He is a TREMENDOUS COLLEGIATE Athlete.  But perhaps he is not a right fit for the NFL.  Who knows.

buccaneerbruce76

Starter

#36 : January 26, 2009, 03:02:47 AM

WOW...Leftwich and Boller...? This pot has to be joke.

"It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds."

dodda45

Starter
#37 : January 26, 2009, 03:57:26 AM

I really hope most of this does not happen...

dodda45

Starter
#38 : January 26, 2009, 04:16:21 AM

We don't need to fill that many spots in FA...The quarterback class is bad and so since the pressure is off Raheem next year, lets go with Luke, Josh and a first-rounder.  We need to re-sign our best TE, best receiver and best safety...Jermaine loves playing for Raheem and so I think he will resign (I hope)...

I like Ward but our number-one priority in FA needs to be Peppers or Haynesworth...We have a solid foundation in place that made it to 9-3 and we should not forget that...

OldBloodandBucs

Starter

#39 : January 26, 2009, 06:00:04 AM

A little difficult to figure out who's going to fit our system when we're not sure what that system is yet. At any rate, the options really aren't very good.

Bump

buccaneerbruce76

Starter

#40 : January 26, 2009, 07:50:12 AM

IMO if the Bucs are gonna take the approach of Raheem is off the hook and accepting that they are gonna struggle throw Josh Johnson in the fire because he has way more star quality and potential than McCown ever had and will have. Taking care of the ball comes farely natural to Josh Johnson because that's the way he was coached all through college (His numbers prove it...Highest pass efficiency rating in NCAA HISTORY). McCown has career back up talent end of story. The only thing the Bucs should be focused on is ALBERT HAYNESWORTH. PERIOD. He is the most disruptive DT to play in the league since Warren Sapp (Sapp obviously the better of the two). By signing Haynesworth the Bucs improve at every level of the defense...

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#41 : January 26, 2009, 08:14:28 AM

I'm a bit shocked that Bryon is the biggest area of hate on this. I've never gotten the Luke love but if I'm a new coach I'd think I'd want to roll the dice on a known quantity like Lefty and not use a guy who is a total non-entity like Luke. I understand the whole "could be the guy" thing but as much as I doubt that is Josh he'd have more of that magic shine than Luke.

BTW, for Prefer, Byron has 12 fumbles in his career so he's not that prone to dropping the ball and 6 of those were in his rookie year.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

#42 : January 26, 2009, 08:20:44 AM

Thanks for the stat Dal....wasn't sure.  I don't hate on Byron (nor anyone else for that matter).  I just see him as another band-aid, which we have witnessed for the past decade.  It's time to grow our own.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#43 : January 26, 2009, 08:30:33 AM

Thanks for the stat Dal....wasn't sure.  I don't hate on Byron (nor anyone else for that matter).  I just see him as another band-aid, which we have witnessed for the past decade.  It's time to grow our own.

I agree but a band aid has a point and that is to give your own time to grow.

I just don't think that "our own" is on our roster now and I'm not sure that you "grow your own" by tossing a Luke or Josh into the fire if you have no real expectations they are gonna be "the man". I don't see anything that says either guy is going to be that man so I'm going external and figuring that we have to make it a priority to draft that guy at some point soon.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

buccaneerbruce76

Starter

#44 : January 26, 2009, 08:50:40 AM

Was has Leftwich proven first of all...? Josh Johnon is better than McCown right now, McCown has been a back up since we signed him so it can be assumed he would be better because he's been here and knows the system but that system is gone. If somebody can honestly sit here and say that if they were a coach they would want to build around McCown over Johnson I just dont believe that...Compare the two scouting reports for both Johnson and McCown coming out of college...

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: FA Shopping Spree « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools