Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: You guys want success running the football? Hire Craig Johnson as your OC « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#15 : January 26, 2009, 02:45:58 PM

Vince Young played well under him.  Yes he was benched, but that had more to do with Young inability to handle criticism and let mistakes go.  As Madden would say, a QB needs a short memory.  Vince Young seems to have a long memory.  That's not the coaches fault.  Vince Young earned the rookie of the year award under Johnson.  Hard to say he didn't develop him.

If you're are crediting the QB Coach for Young's positives, then you have to do the same with his negatives.

donny77

Starter

#16 : January 26, 2009, 03:00:37 PM

I understand that, but Vince Young's biggest problems are mental.  And not mental as in learning the playbook or reading a defense.  Johnson isn't a psychologist.  Young is basically a manic depressive.  How is that his fault?  I'd blame him if he adamantly wanted to draft him without knowing his mental state, but I don't think that was the case.  I don't know what his input was in the drafting of Young.

psymun

Starter
#17 : January 26, 2009, 03:01:50 PM

Vince Young played well under him. �Yes he was benched, but that had more to do with Young inability to handle criticism and let mistakes go. �As Madden would say, a QB needs a short memory. �Vince Young seems to have a long memory. �That's not the coaches fault. �Vince Young earned the rookie of the year award under Johnson. �Hard to say he didn't develop him.

If you're are crediting the QB Coach for Young's positives, then you have to do the same with his negatives.

That is correct. You can't, however, blame the coach for a mental deficiency...

I mean seriously, are you going to blame the teacher if a child has autism and thus not able to learn as fast or as much as other children?

Vince Young is coachable, but he seems to be having problems with depression. I'm sorry, but not the coaches fault...

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#18 : January 26, 2009, 03:04:58 PM

I understand that, but Vince Young's biggest problems are mental.  And not mental as in learning the playbook or reading a defense.  Johnson isn't a psychologist.  Young is basically a manic depressive.  How is that his fault?  I'd blame him if he adamantly wanted to draft him without knowing his mental state, but I don't think that was the case.  I don't know what his input was in the drafting of Young.

Did Young not make any mental mistakes when he was the ROY?

You have to either say Young won the award all on his own and his QB coach hasn't helped him because he can't or the QB coach helped Young win the award and also couldn't help him overcome the his deficiencies.

You can't just take the good and blame the bad on someone else.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#19 : January 26, 2009, 03:06:51 PM

Vince Young played well under him. �Yes he was benched, but that had more to do with Young inability to handle criticism and let mistakes go. �As Madden would say, a QB needs a short memory. �Vince Young seems to have a long memory. �That's not the coaches fault. �Vince Young earned the rookie of the year award under Johnson. �Hard to say he didn't develop him.

That is correct. You can't, however, blame the coach for a mental deficiency...

I mean seriously, are you going to blame the teacher if a child has autism and thus not able to learn as fast or as much as other children?

Vince Young is coachable, but he seems to be having problems with depression. I'm sorry, but not the coaches fault...

I'm not even talking about Young's problems this season off of the field.

What about Young's regression after he won the ROY?

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#20 : January 26, 2009, 03:09:01 PM

Isn't it possible that the former affected the latter?

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#21 : January 26, 2009, 03:12:00 PM

Isn't it possible that the former affected the latter?

Could be...but why would Young suddenly develop depression after winning a National Championship and ROY?  The depression didn't appear (publicly) until his third season, this season.

That appears to be rationalizing an excuse.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#22 : January 26, 2009, 03:12:31 PM

in any case, it looks like we'd have just what we (at least I) wanted, an offense committed to the run.  all his QB's have done some good things, and he wouldnt even be a QB coach here.  he's worked with running QB's and stationary QB's.  he worked with young and old.  he's seen his QB's throw for 400 yards a game, or attempt less than 20 passes.  seems like he can adapt.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#23 : January 26, 2009, 03:13:35 PM

I have no problem with him, he just didnt develop Vince Young well. But he did have Collins playing some nice ball.

Vince Young got a 7 on his wonderlic...sometimes a coach can only do so much.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#24 : January 26, 2009, 03:14:09 PM

FYI, I'm not arguing against Johnson.  I'm just saying it's unfair to pin all of Young's positives on the QB coach, but none of the negatives.

1Va bucsfan

Hall of Famer
#25 : January 26, 2009, 06:34:59 PM

DTG Any news on how Zampeses interview went and when Johnson is supposed to interview?

\\\"The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot, the guy who invented the other three, he was a genius

watson

Hall of Famer
#26 : January 26, 2009, 07:55:44 PM

Didn't the Bucs take another Titan's coach on as their OC a few years ago?  Someone named Les Steckel?  Their running game was great during that year...IIRC.  But at the end of the year some of the players.....someone named Keyshawn I think......revolted and Steckel was out.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#27 : January 26, 2009, 08:49:15 PM

The more I look at Craig Johnson, the more he seems like a really good fit for the vacant OC position on Raheem's staff. The guy is 48 years old and he has a nice resume, though no NFL OC experience (he's got years as a college OC) but that doesn't mean he's not been heavily involved in the Titans game-planning and management. He'll have some really experienced coaches backing him in guys like Richard Mann and Pete Mangurian.

You want to run the football more successfully? I believe Johnson would be a guy who could elevate that part of the Bucs offense. From his bio, we see that under Johnson, VMI's offense ranked fifth in the nation in total offense in 1990 and first in rushing offense in 1991. At Maryland he was the offensive coordinator for two years (1997-98) and in his last season the Terps led the Atlantic Coast Conference in rushing offense (235 yards per game avg).

As a QB coach, he knows what a good running game can do for the productivity and efficiency of your QB. Here's a link to his bio at the Titans Web site:

http://www.titansonline.com/team/coaches/staff.php?PRKey=12

Though his name may not "leap off the page" at you, I think Johnson might be a guy who has a shot to be a fine success as an offensive coordinator.
If he is Raheem's pick great - the guy looks like the real thing - we will see.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

ryanbuc1

Practice Squad

#28 : January 26, 2009, 09:11:49 PM

Chargers named former Browns offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski assistant head coach/tight ends.

The 49ers and Bucs were slow to act, so San Diego gets its marquee assistant back in a sub-coordinator role. Chud appeared to be a rising head-coaching candidate in 2007, but his stock went in the tank with Derek Anderson last year. His return to San Diego can't hurt Antonio Gates.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#29 : January 27, 2009, 09:46:01 AM

Chargers named former Browns offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski assistant head coach/tight ends.

The 49ers and Bucs were slow to act, so San Diego gets its marquee assistant back in a sub-coordinator role. Chud appeared to be a rising head-coaching candidate in 2007, but his stock went in the tank with Derek Anderson last year. His return to San Diego can't hurt Antonio Gates.

Good news.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: You guys want success running the football? Hire Craig Johnson as your OC « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools