Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: It's all thanks to us/It's all our fault... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 10

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

: January 27, 2009, 02:37:25 PM

Talk is cheap, and so are the Glazers.

Stop dreaming about big FA signings, they won't come to fruition.

This offseason should definitely give us an indication if the past thriftiness was driven by Allen or the Glazers

"It's no different than it has been in the past. We have a lot of money to spend and we'll spend it on players who are going to help our football team," he said. "That's the key thing. We want to have a winning team, but we want to build a winning football team. We want to build a team that can sustain success over the long term."

I'm not expecting drastic changes...

umguy1999

Practice Squad

#1 : January 27, 2009, 02:37:14 PM

Thats all Bullsh!t if it was about the fans they would have SPENT SOME MONEY, and certainly not make the DB coach the Head Coach right off the bat... Its about them and wanting a clean slate for the new owners when they sell...

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#2 : January 27, 2009, 02:35:26 PM

This offseason should definitely give us an indication if the past thriftiness was driven by Allen or the Glazers

How so?

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 27, 2009, 02:34:29 PM

MBF

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 27, 2009, 02:30:28 PM

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#5 : January 26, 2009, 04:42:19 PM

No doubt that negative fan reaction played a part. But what is important is:

"Glazer said they're willing to spend what it takes to get the team back into the league's elite."

Let's hope that proves true.

psymun

Starter
#6 : January 26, 2009, 04:38:18 PM

Depends on how you look at it...

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/jan/26/glazer-says-fans-helped-make-decision-gruden/

By JOE HENDERSON  | The Tampa Tribune

Published: January 26, 2009

TAMPA - Fan discontent over the direction of the team was a factor in the recent firing of Jon Gruden as head coach of the Buccaneers, executive vice president Bryan Glazer said Monday.

"Our fans are our stockholders. They're what we play for every week. They're the people in our stadium and who watch on TV," Glazer said during an impromptu interview at the media headquarters for the Super Bowl. "This is what it's all about – winning, and how they feel about the team. If they don't feel good at the team, something's wrong."

He added, "Not to speak for the fans, but I think you all know the sense that was out there. It was time for a change."

Gruden was fired on Jan. 16, replaced as head coach by Raheem Morris following a 9-7 season. The Bucs lost four games in December to miss a playoff spot, becoming the first team in NFL history to start 9-3 and miss the post-season.

"It's a mix of a lot of things. We did take our time and talked to a lot of people, not only the players but the community – getting a feel for the team," Glazer said. "We had our opinions and we mixed them all together. We took our time in making the decision.

"I've had players be very, very positive [about the change]. I just ran into Earnest Graham at the NFL Experience [Sunday]. His face just lit up."

The Bucs are an estimated $45 million under the salary cap. Glazer said they're willing to spend what it takes to get the team back into the league's elite.

"It's no different than it has been in the past. We have a lot of money to spend and we'll spend it on players who are going to help our football team," he said. "That's the key thing. We want to have a winning team, but we want to build a winning football team. We want to build a team that can sustain success over the long term."

NavyBuc19

Hall of Famer
#7 : January 26, 2009, 04:42:45 PM

Well atleast the Glazers are listening to us.

WE WANT BOLDIN AND FAT AL  JOEL!!!

InlandTaipan

Practice Squad

#8 : January 26, 2009, 04:55:37 PM

Of course it's the negitive fans fault...where have you been? I wonder how long it'll take until they start crying about Morris and his staff.

docbravo

Pro Bowler

#9 : January 26, 2009, 05:01:44 PM

Well atleast the Glazers are listening to us.

WE WANT BOLDIN AND FAT AL  JOEL!!!
TRUE STORY
+1

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#10 : January 26, 2009, 05:03:23 PM

I blame the negative media and the fans listening to them. The only way the fans know whats going on with the team is by reading/listening the news about them. So you have guys like Cummings, Ira Kaufman, 620wdae badmouthing gruden and allen for however long they have been doing it. Soon enough fans buy into it because lets face it not every fan is smart enough to make their own decision. They just go by what they hear in the media and have them make the decision for them whether or not they like the coach or not. Of course not every fan gets to meet Gruden/Allen or hear what players actually say. You can only speculate by what you hear the media say. Also not every fan is smart enough to get Pewter Report as their primary buc news. So maybe it is Gruden and Allens fault for not kissing up to the media and giving them what they wanted to hear.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#11 : January 26, 2009, 05:16:58 PM

"I've had players be very, very positive [about the change]. I just ran into Earnest Graham at the NFL Experience [Sunday]. His face just lit up."

That's an odd thing for an owner to say after firing the coach. It's almost as if he's throwing it out there to show us that it was the right move. Earnest's face just lit up. See? We Glazers did the right thing.

I wonder how Graham feels about still not having a OC and/or direction for the offense. Maybe the new guy thinks EG is too slow for the type of offense he wants to run? Once EG got the chance to play, Gruden seemed to love him. And before you point out how Graham was buried on the bench, make sure you're not one of the fans who was calling him Mr. October and who proclaimed that he would never be more than a practice squad guy.

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#12 : January 26, 2009, 05:21:34 PM

That's an odd thing for an owner to say after firing the coach. It's almost as if he's throwing it out there to show us that it was the right move. Earnest's face just lit up. See? We Glazers did the right thing.

I wonder how Graham feels about still not having a OC and/or direction for the offense. Maybe the new guy thinks EG is too slow for the type of offense he wants to run? Once EG got the chance to play, Gruden seemed to love him. And before you point out how Graham was buried on the bench, make sure you're not one of the fans who was calling him Mr. October and who proclaimed that he would never be more than a practice squad guy.

Good point. Never thought of it that way.

mrtks

Pro Bowler

#13 : January 26, 2009, 05:55:01 PM

When the Glazers said the fans are the ones that come to the stadium and who watch on TV, he meant the stadium wasn't getting full and people weren't supporting the team financially like in the past. They're businessmen, this was a business decision.

ummmm....the Bucs have had successive sellouts to all of their homegames dating back to the '90s so that is a ridiculous argument.
Have you been to the stadium and seen the empty seats? Fans were not renewing their season tix and you could buy them day of game outside for less than face value. And the selling of gear has fallen off as well,

Chucky4mayor

Starter

#14 : January 26, 2009, 05:23:20 PM

I have a problem with this if one of the major reasons Gruden was fired was because of fan discontent.  I think we are taking a big step backwards now that you see how this whole situation is playing out.  What do fans know about football other than scoring points and getting defensive stops?  See the problem with this is that the Bucs put themselves in a situation where there weren't many great coaches out there so they are stuck with somebody on the inside because they kinda know the team.    Im not blaming the defense at all....BUT....say the defense actually came to play and we won just 1 of those last few games, there wouldn't be this discontent for Gruden that i guess is out there.  Would that make Gruden any different of a coach if we made the playoffs?  So if we made the playoffs Gruden would have stayed?  But since they didn't, it's time for a new coach?  Thats kind of a head scratcher as far as figuring out if we actually improved or not with this whole ordeal.  Okay so its time for change...and if we suck it up for the next couple years ala Raiders post Gruden.....will Gruden then gain some credibility in this town?   hahaha now wouldnt that be funny if in 5yrs we haven't had a winning season and Gruden is making things happen with yet again another team.  I think that's a very possible scenario.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: It's all thanks to us/It's all our fault... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools