Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: WW2 vet freezes to death in his own home after not paying power bill. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

kmitchell

Starter

#30 : January 28, 2009, 01:06:58 AM

I think it is tragic that our government wouldn't provide electricity to a poor 92 year old veteran, but has money to support crack heads.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#31 : January 28, 2009, 09:02:10 AM

All power companies should just give away their product.  No bills, no limiters, nothing.  Free power for all!

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#32 : January 28, 2009, 10:37:18 AM

All power companies should just give away their product.  No bills, no limiters, nothing.  Free power for all!

Yep, that's what all of us are saying.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#33 : January 28, 2009, 10:40:52 AM

You're saying the power company is responsible for this man's death, not the man.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#34 : January 28, 2009, 10:49:59 AM

the man is dead because of the system that is in place with that utility company.

The man is dead because he didn't pay his bill and none of those caring neighbors of his chose to help him out.  It's not the power company's responsibility to make sure all elderly people have power, it's their job to provide a service when they get paid for that service.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#35 : January 28, 2009, 10:54:43 AM

Ok, the device misfired. Easy enough but how didn't the guy notice his power was out? You'd think there'd be a call to the power company or 911 unless the theory is that he went "To Build a Fire" style.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#36 : January 28, 2009, 11:14:22 AM

the other fact is a man who served his country with honor and dignity is dead because he froze from no heating.

WTF is wrong with some of you people.

First off, where does it say ANYTHING about HOW he served his country.

You bozos play right into the media's hands with your reactions. All they have to do is say he was a WWII vet and the bleeding hearts come out of the woodworks. And if you say anything blaming the guy you're labeled un-patriotic.

How do you know what type of military career he had?

And since WHEN is serving your country a get out of all responsibility free card?

How do you know he didn't beat his wife or kids? How do you know he didn't rape a women?

You ONLY know that he served in WWII. And you immediately label him a hero.

So stupid.

If you pay your bills, you keep your utilities.

It's very sad that it happened. And I agree that they shouldn't have killed the electricity to his house during winter b/c of his age.

But get off your podium, you don't know jack about the guy and IN THE END, it was HIS fault his electricity was shut off.

#37 : January 28, 2009, 11:17:50 AM

How do you know he didn't beat his wife or kids? How do you know he didn't rape a women?

How do you know he did? Why are you even suggesting that he did? I'll agree with you that he shouldn't get a free ride, but is slandering the guy called for?

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#38 : January 28, 2009, 11:22:08 AM

How do you know he did? Why are you even suggesting that he did? I'll agree with you that he shouldn't get a free ride, but is slandering the guy called for?

slandering is implying that he did.

I never implied that, I asked how you know he served his country with dignity and honor.

I asked if you knew if he lived a good life.

It's ridiculous to immediately label someone as a honorable JUST on the basis of being a WWII vet.

It's admirable to serve your country...That doesn't make you HONORABLE.

I never suggested he lived a bad life, just simply asked how anyone here knows he didn't and why you would label him a dignified honorable person without a single detail on his life outside of being a vet.

#39 : January 28, 2009, 11:31:00 AM

slandering is implying that he did.

Let me rephrase that then.

How do we know you didn't slander him? How do we know you weren't suggesting that he's a wife beating rapist?

See how that works? It's a good example of neuro-linguistic programming. Clearly you were suggesting these possibilities and impugning the man's reputation without valid grounds to do so.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#40 : January 28, 2009, 11:55:52 AM

Slander is a spoken word, by the way, Libel is a written lie. Neither are things that you imply. They're outright lies.

kmitchell

Starter

#41 : January 28, 2009, 01:01:57 PM

You're saying the power company is responsible for this man's death, not the man.

Was the man supposed to go out and get a job in construction?

I think if the government can afford needle exchanges, and rehab programs, they should be able to keep veterans unable to work from freezing to death in their own homes.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#42 : January 28, 2009, 01:06:05 PM

I think if the government can afford needle exchanges, and rehab programs, they should be able to keep veterans unable to work from freezing to death in their own homes.

Who mentioned the government, Junior? 

Joe is placing blame at the feet of the power company.  You'll get no argument from me about War vets being supported better by the Gov't and cutting useless programs to do it, but that isn't the point of contention.  The power company isn't responsible for War vets.  They get paid to do a service, and when that service isn't paid for, they do not have to provide it.

kmitchell

Starter

#43 : January 28, 2009, 01:09:18 PM

Who mentioned the government, Junior? 

Joe is placing blame at the feet of the power company.  You'll get no argument from me about War vets being supported better by the Gov't and cutting useless programs to do it, but that isn't the point of contention.  The power company isn't responsible for War vets.  They get paid to do a service, and when that service isn't paid for, they do not have to provide it.

I'll agree with you on this one chubs.
It's not the duty of the power company, they are a business after all. It should be the duty of the government to help people who fought for them.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#44 : January 28, 2009, 01:27:59 PM

Sad as it is, the fact of the matter is that this poor man's death will probably save lives in the future by cause and effect.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: WW2 vet freezes to death in his own home after not paying power bill. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools