Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why the Bucs will be Drafting a First Round QB « previous next »
Page: 1 2

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#15 : January 27, 2009, 04:00:59 PM

Doesn't matter how the class looks, its who can take their game to the next level.

Well, the shape of the class could have an affect on who is available to the Buccaneers.

pewtersurf

Hall of Famer
#16 : January 27, 2009, 04:03:33 PM

No one wanted Flacco this past year and he has more than exceeded his expectations in his first year.  He was drafted at the 18 spot.

I think Ben Rothis burger yumm!  was drafted in the high teens as well..

Just saying!

Get your Battle Flag!  Join the Fight!

Buc31

Starter

#17 : January 27, 2009, 04:05:40 PM

No one wanted Flacco this past year and he has more than exceeded his expectations in his first year.  He was drafted at the 18 spot.

I think Ben Rothis burger yumm!  was drafted in the high teens as well..

Just saying!

Exactly!

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#18 : January 27, 2009, 04:07:33 PM

The best thing we can do this year is stock up in FA so that we can afford to drop out of the 1st round totally, pick up a 2nd this year and 1st for next year giving us ammo to move up and get a legit 1st round QB instead of the pretenders we're stuck picking from this year.

You never know, depending on what picks we get we might not need to move up next year and we could get that QB with another 1st rounder to throw at a position of need/BPA.

Calvin Johnson

Hall of Famer

#19 : January 27, 2009, 04:19:09 PM

excitement =  If Sanchez falls, we could move up to take him Or Freeman

But yes, it does seem like next year is a better year for QB's.  

But QB may equal more money this year.

Ok. If sanchez can get past the 49ers at 10. I would consider dialing up the chargers who have the 16th pick to swap picks with them. Chicago and the jets pick after the chargers and they could both use franchise QB's. If Sanchez is gone just go defense. I picked San Diego because the jump from 19 to 16 will probably cost less than leap frogging from 19-11. I am not really a big fan of mortgaging picks and for some reason I don't think Freeman is worth the 19th pick. 

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#20 : January 27, 2009, 04:20:48 PM

To get fans in the seats, this team needs excitement on the offense...

As of right now, there isn't a face of the franchise on the offensive side of the ball.  Cadillac and Clayton were suppose to carry that title but they haven't lived up to. We have a great young core of big uglies on the o-line but they don't create excitement.  

Talib, Rudd, Adams, and T-Jack are all good or may be great one day but they don't sell tickets.

That is why the Glazers may urge the team to draft a QB.  It may help sell tickets.  And the Glazers do pay those coaches/GM salaries.

This is just my theory.  
We have to draft Harvin too. Freeman+Harvin+Bryant+Caddy=offensive juggernauts and guaranteed sell out crowd.

umguy1999

Practice Squad

#21 : January 27, 2009, 04:36:46 PM

excitement = �If Sanchez falls, we could move up to take him Or Freeman

But yes, it does seem like next year is a better year for QB's. �

But QB may equal more money this year.

Ok. If sanchez can get past the 49ers at 10. I would consider dialing up the chargers who have the 16th pick to swap picks with them. Chicago and the jets pick after the chargers and they could both use franchise QB's. If Sanchez is gone just go defense. I picked San Diego because the jump from 19 to 16 will probably cost less than leap frogging from 19-11. I am not really a big fan of mortgaging picks and for some reason I don't think Freeman is worth the 19th pick.  

That is a good plan. Why waste a first round pick for a 2nd round QB in Freeman?  If Sanchez gets past San Fran I don't have a problem trading up 3 spots and taking him. If not, I think at 19 we should take the best or at least 2nd best player at a given position than to take the 3rd best QB, and would be 5th best if a few guys came out early.
We went 9-7 with Garcia and Griese, shore up the Dline and 10 or 11 wins should be no problem with the current offense players, if we can't win 10 or more games with this offense and an upraded defense then Morris was a mistake, because we did it with Gruden.
I agree a Franchise QB would be great, but aside from missing some open WR's Garcia was pretty good, the QB play had nothing to do with our D not being able to stuff the run.
FIX the problem we had before we try to fix a problem we don't have.

Calvin Johnson

Hall of Famer

#22 : January 27, 2009, 04:43:48 PM

According to the value chart. If we switch with San Diego an equal trade would be our 1st, 4th rounder, and give them some 2nd day pick for the 10 draft It should equal it out. San Diegos first is worth 1000 points.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2410670

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#23 : January 27, 2009, 04:55:42 PM

i don't buy the whole "draft a QB in the 1st because we need a face for the new era we are rebuilding for" reasoning....that's the kind of thinking that traps you into drafting jamarcus russell over calvin johnson and joe thomas.....you draft a QB because he's at least one of the top 3 or 4 players on your board when you pick, or because you believe in a guy enough to trade up specifically to get him....good QBs usually become the face of the franchise, but that doesn't mean you draft a QB because your franchise needs a face....

that made sense in my brain, not sure if it makes sense on the screen...hopefully people get the gist of what i'm saying.

XXXVII Champs

Second String

#24 : January 27, 2009, 04:58:49 PM

Why the Bucs will be Drafting a First Round QB

A year too early bud. 2010 will be the Year of the QB's. Tebow/McCoy/Bradford.

This year is nothing great or special. I'll pass. If we can win 9 games with Griese and Jeffy, we need to juice up the D and other spots at O this year. QB is not high on my list this year.

I don't think Tebow is an NFL QB.  He may do well in college, but don't see him lighting up the "Big League".  Every player in the NFL is one of the world's best football players.  

I think the Bucs should look for a diamond in the rough with another team's back up QB.  Not sure who though.

If we can win 9 games next season, I will consider it a good season.  Tough schedule.

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#25 : January 27, 2009, 05:03:20 PM

To get fans in the seats, this team needs excitement on the offense...

As of right now, there isn't a face of the franchise on the offensive side of the ball. Cadillac and Clayton were suppose to carry that title but they haven't lived up to. We have a great young core of big uglies on the o-line but they don't create excitement.

Talib, Rudd, Adams, and T-Jack are all good or may be great one day but they don't sell tickets.

That is why the Glazers may urge the team to draft a QB. It may help sell tickets. And the Glazers do pay those coaches/GM salaries.

This is just my theory.

I agree with that. Only way I draft a qb at 19 is if Sanchez, Freeman, or Stafford are there at 19. If not Id wait till next year. This team and fans need something to cheer about. All fans have been pissed off around here the last few years. We need to get them back on their feet again and a Franchise QB might do that.

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#26 : January 27, 2009, 05:59:42 PM

I'm not really impressed with this year's crop of QB's.  Reminds me of the year Alex Smith came out.  I'd be ok if the Bucs waited till next year.

donny77

Starter

#27 : January 27, 2009, 06:25:45 PM

i don't buy the whole "draft a QB in the 1st because we need a face for the new era we are rebuilding for" reasoning....that's the kind of thinking that traps you into drafting jamarcus russell over calvin johnson and joe thomas.....you draft a QB because he's at least one of the top 3 or 4 players on your board when you pick, or because you believe in a guy enough to trade up specifically to get him....good QBs usually become the face of the franchise, but that doesn't mean you draft a QB because your franchise needs a face....

that made sense in my brain, not sure if it makes sense on the screen...hopefully people get the gist of what i'm saying.

What a great example!  Jamarcus Russel's Raiders won more games than Joe Thomas' Brown or Calvin Johnson's Lions, COMBINED!  ;-)  Now, I'm not saying we HAVE to draft ANY QB.  But, If the Bucs like Freeman, and think he will be successful, then aside from Raji dropping, we need a QB more than anything else, and there are none available in FA or Trade.  We can address all other needs in FA.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why the Bucs will be Drafting a First Round QB « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools