Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs Hire Coyer « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#45 : January 18, 2007, 03:08:36 PM

Chukwurah is on a 1-year deal per NFLPA,org, so he'll be a FA.  And he almost signed here last offseason, so I bet we could land him this year.  He's small (LB size), but is a pass-rusher off the edge in the Robert Mathis mold.  And he's a ST ace.

http://nflpa.org/Resources/ActivePlayerSearch.aspx?id=30213

boredomkills01

Pro Bowler

#46 : January 18, 2007, 03:09:12 PM

Shalla,

And they know each other.

FWIW,
Just checked, and I find NO Bronco defensive player on the FA or RFA list I looked at and I checked all positions.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/nfl/freeagentsDL.html

look at this page...

$$$

ToddyBuc

Hall of Famer

#47 : January 18, 2007, 03:15:04 PM

How about Adalius Thomas LB from Baltimore,, 11 sacks this year..
Me like him very much.. 

Bucs-Lightning already World Champions. Rays Next!!!

Mohawkbucs

Starter

#48 : January 18, 2007, 03:33:28 PM

How about Adalius Thomas LB from Baltimore,, 11 sacks this year..
Me like him very much..

although he is good, if he becomes a FA the amount of money he will demand will be too high for a 30 year old

imo thomas will be a 49er

#49 : January 18, 2007, 04:44:19 PM

Very, very nice. I didn't think they'd be able to land Coyer. I was just in the midst of researching McCarney. Coyer is the right sort of guy to get it done here.

Kudos to the FO.

I agree. I started a thread over on the insiders board the other day about him and Burney (d-line coach) after they got canned last week. I'm wondering if they can/ want to try and get Burney as well. Denvers' line did a respectable job last year even without Trevor Pryce:

Broncos            1094   855.0   239      35      27     TTL/tack/assist/sacks/fum

Add about 10 more sacks if Pryce had stayed (13 this year with Baltimore). Rookie Dumervil had 8.5 sacks- 4th rounder

compare:

Buccaneers      1151   888.0   263      25.0   20

#50 : January 18, 2007, 04:52:09 PM

Chukwurah is on a 1-year deal per NFLPA,org, so he'll be a FA.  And he almost signed here last offseason, so I bet we could land him this year.  He's small (LB size), but is a pass-rusher off the edge in the Robert Mathis mold.  And he's a ST ace.

http://nflpa.org/Resources/ActivePlayerSearch.aspx?id=30213

Yes indeed. The Bucs came so close to signing him last year...or the year before, don't remember. Anyway, as you know there's already been some speculation again about him signing.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#51 : January 18, 2007, 05:05:49 PM

Good news.  I was really hoping we weren't just going to hire some greenhorn college coaches who didn't know their ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to NFL football.  I am glad to hear that they got an experienced NFL vet.  As for if he's any good or not I guess we'll see. Hopefully he was just a scapegoat in Denver.

As for the "successor" to Monte idea, I don't think there is any way to predict that.  He got fired from a DC job and latched onto a AHC job working with a great DC. I don't think if you are him that you need any guarantees about future considerations to take the job.  Its a pretty good deal as is considering his situation.

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#52 : January 18, 2007, 05:06:36 PM

I like the hiring. He did wonders for Denver's underachieving D.

#53 : January 18, 2007, 05:36:28 PM

I'm a little surprised that not a single one of you stopped to wonder why, if Coyer is so great, did Denver unceremoniously dump him?

From the more intelligent Denver fans I've talked to, reasons range from lack of an outstanding running game exposing an underconditioned roster, the scheme change from a plan that relied heavily on blitzing to one that didn't exposing a poor d-line, to Kubiak previously made the offensive calls, now that Shanahan is doing it he's being exposed and the weight is falling on the defense. The one element that was universal in everyone I talked to was that Coyer fails to make adjustment's in game.

#54 : January 18, 2007, 05:42:13 PM

geesh....does not bode well.....my gawd....this guy  WILL NOT relate....this guy is looking at retiring in Florida with one last kick in the azz to his 401K.....we are in deep schitt ....folks !
I've seen it.....loved thru it before !

#55 : January 18, 2007, 05:45:07 PM

I'm a little surprised that not a single one of you stopped to wonder why, if Coyer is so great, did Denver unceremoniously dump him?

From the more intelligent Denver fans I've talked to, reasons range from lack of an outstanding running game exposing an underconditioned roster, the scheme change from a plan that relied heavily on blitzing to one that didn't exposing a poor d-line, to Kubiak previously made the offensive calls, now that Shanahan is doing it he's being exposed and the weight is falling on the defense. The one element that was universal in everyone I talked to was that Coyer fails to make adjustment's in game.

Thats what they're saying Illuminator.

Personally, I think he and Burney are scapegoats. But with Monte, I have no worries- this is a great signing. The two of them coaching together is exciting news.....best so far this off-seaon IMO.

GrudenFan63

Hall of Famer

#56 : January 18, 2007, 06:04:13 PM

Everyone was excited about the hire of Paul Hackett a time back, and there have been people over his tenure here who wanted him fired. Coyer might be a great coach for the Bucs, but you can't always base future results off of previous ones. He worked well with Denver, but that was Denver. If he works well in Tampa Bay, it was a good hire. It doesn't mean anything until we see the results of his hire here in Tampa Bay.

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#57 : January 18, 2007, 06:07:10 PM

I like the Hiring... But does Assistant/hc really speak of his job title??

Suprising a guy with that much experience would go from a DC job to a D-line job....

COOL NEVERTHELESS :)

Didn't they fire him and name Jim Bates in his place?

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#58 : January 18, 2007, 06:07:24 PM

Good news.  I was really hoping we weren't just going to hire some greenhorn college coaches who didn't know their ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to NFL football.

Yeah. College coaches with no pro experience like Rod Marinelli, Mike Tomlin, Lovie Smith...oh, wait.

Anyhow, I get what you're saying. But don't dismiss college coaches just because they don't have any pro experience.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#59 : January 18, 2007, 06:07:50 PM

Boredom,

My info came from The Red Zone.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs Hire Coyer « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools