Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bates' DTs « previous next »
Page: 1 2

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#15 : January 30, 2009, 12:35:05 PM

I'm not saying we need a smaller DT in the middle.

All Im saying is this idea that both of Bate's DTs need to be these huge space-eaters is a misconception because Bates hasn't used two monster tackles for most of his career as a defensive coordinator.

Didn't in Green Bay and he didn't for several of his years in Miami.

At one point in Miami he even started a NT that was under 300 pounds.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#16 : January 30, 2009, 12:39:11 PM

Sunny Even with that said the two DTs you mentioned in Hovan and Haye have shown that they can't consistently funnel the run

For twelve weeks of last season Hovan and Haye were clogging the middle and stuffing the run.

For the last four weeks of the '08 season the whole defense was underachieving as even Ruud (a borderline pro-bowl talent) was missing tackles and failing to maintain gap integrity.

I'm guessing those games are fresh in your mind but if you remember back to early and midseason Haye and Hovan were even getting national attention regarding their play against the run.

1Va bucsfan

Hall of Famer
#17 : January 30, 2009, 12:54:00 PM

I don't know Sunny maybe I'm being drawn into the crowd of what have you done lately!? The entire D did have a major let down and I'll go ahead and be cliche and say it starts upfront,and again I agree the whole D had a let down but the most pivotal parts of the Tampa/Cover 2 (DTs)didn't do their jobs when they were needed most that December run.

\\\"The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot, the guy who invented the other three, he was a genius

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#18 : January 30, 2009, 12:59:57 PM

For twelve weeks of last season Hovan and Haye were clogging the middle and stuffing the run.

For the last four weeks of the '08 season the whole defense was underachieving as even Ruud (a borderline pro-bowl talent) was missing tackles and failing to maintain gap integrity.

I'm guessing those games are fresh in your mind but if you remember back to early and midseason Haye and Hovan were even getting national attention regarding their play against the run.

well stated.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#19 : January 30, 2009, 01:33:33 PM

I agree that Haye and Hovan didnt do what they were supposed to do as far as the cover 2 is concerned (penetrate and collapse the pocket) but as far as clogging the middle and taking up blockers is concerned, Haye and Hovan did a pretty good job for most of 08 in my opinion.

1Va bucsfan

Hall of Famer
#20 : January 30, 2009, 01:47:08 PM

Yeah true but December is where you earn you keep. I agree they played well for the most part like the entire D,but december did it for me because that's when you separate the real from fake.

\\\"The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot, the guy who invented the other three, he was a genius
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bates' DTs « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools