Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Anybody follow college football recruiting? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 9

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

: February 23, 2009, 09:26:47 AM

Back to Back #1 classes on Rivals....Roll Tide.

Taking the most players pretty much both years doesn't hurt either. Of course how many last year didn't qualify?

If you want to look at it comparatively, Bama was 6th last year and 5th this year on "average stars."

At any rate, yes, they have done a great job recruiting the past 2 seasons.

Not good enough to be as good as the Gators though.

Or Utah
No, we'll be better than Utah again this year.

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#1 : February 23, 2009, 09:26:19 AM

Taking the most players pretty much both years doesn't hurt either. Of course how many last year didn't qualify?

If you want to look at it comparatively, Bama was 6th last year and 5th this year on "average stars."

That remains to be seen

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#2 : February 23, 2009, 10:56:43 AM

Or Utah
No, we'll be better than Utah again this year.

"Again" ...... LOL.

joedav01

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 30, 2009, 12:18:59 PM

USF is putting together an amazing class. Ranked 24th in the nation right now and signing day is just days away.

We have never even finished in the top 40 in recruiting before.

The 2009 class so far... http://southflorida.scout.com/a.z?s=359&p=9&c=8&yr=2009

Team rankings http://southflorida.scout.com/a.z?s=359&p=9&c=14&yr=2009

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 30, 2009, 12:26:52 PM

Man, I just call all kinds of B S on college recruiting.  It's nice they got a mention though. Let's see what happens when they take the field.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#5 : January 30, 2009, 01:28:58 PM

Yea, I also have a hard time with the stars approach.  How does anybody watch all the kids in the nation to find the best?  I think the point is that the good kids will be given a lot of hype then the recruiting sites only have to follow those kids. 

However, USF is putting a nice class together.  I believe it is worth mentioning what they have been able to do with CUSA tallent in a BCS conference.  If they can continue to grow their players and utilize them better this class may be the start of something huge.  The coaching staff needs to ditch the "lets get everybody involved" approach and let the play makers play.

joedav01

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 30, 2009, 01:56:55 PM

Yeah the star system is not perfect. For example Matt Grothe was a 2 star recruit and George Selvie was a 1 star recruit as a Center in High School if you can believe that.

This biggest thing I look for is the offers the kids have to gauge how good they are.

For example. Ryne Giddens in this class had over 70 offers. He was a Parade All American.  Pete Carrol flew in to talk to him after he committed to USF to try to convince him to at least visit So. Cal and he said "No thank you. I am very happy with my decision."  On his trip to Gainesville he left early Saturday morning. He didn't even stay for the whole trip.  Giddens could have gone to any program in America. They all wanted him and he came to USF.  That is how I know we are making headway in recruiting.  We are no longer the back up plan for the in state kids that don't get offered by the "Big 3".

Lots of our commitments this year have offers from the big 3 and half the SEC and they picked USF.  Its really exciting.  The key is to keep the momentum going though.  It can't just be one big class and then back to oblivion.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#7 : January 30, 2009, 07:33:50 PM

I love it.

Oregon is getting screwed by parents and distance.

Boyd favorite school even after signing day was Oregon, but Mom and dad want to go to games thus hes at Clemson
Same with McNeal and 3 WR last year. Not so good for Oregon so far.

Got Cliff Harris at one point rated the #1 CB in the country. Id say its 50/50 he qualifies. Oregon should be around top 25, at the end.

Oregon has lost countless JC recruits this year already because at Oregon god forbid you have to get a 2.5 GPA...

LFO

Hall of Famer

#8 : January 31, 2009, 02:27:27 AM

Yeah the star system is not perfect. For example Matt Grothe was a 2 star recruit and George Selvie was a 1 star recruit as a Center in High School if you can believe that.

This biggest thing I look for is the offers the kids have to gauge how good they are.

For example. Ryne Giddens in this class had over 70 offers. He was a Parade All American.  Pete Carrol flew in to talk to him after he committed to USF to try to convince him to at least visit So. Cal and he said "No thank you. I am very happy with my decision."  On his trip to Gainesville he left early Saturday morning. He didn't even stay for the whole trip.  Giddens could have gone to any program in America. They all wanted him and he came to USF.  That is how I know we are making headway in recruiting.  We are no longer the back up plan for the in state kids that don't get offered by the "Big 3".

Lots of our commitments this year have offers from the big 3 and half the SEC and they picked USF.  Its really exciting.  The key is to keep the momentum going though.  It can't just be one big class and then back to oblivion.

Giddens is a fine player, but he had grades issues that kept him from most schools.  I do know that UF slowed down on him for grades issues.

USF is doing well, but they will still be getting sloppy seconds from most of the "big 3."  I do think they will be able to get some of the local guys to stay, but they aren't close to being a national recruiting power house. It will come in time, perhaps, but right now they are still a far cry from being national recruiting contenders.  Although, like WVU, the fact that they will allow just about anyone into school will certainly help.

joedav01

Hall of Famer

#9 : January 31, 2009, 03:15:38 AM

LFO, that is completely untrue about Giddens.  I mean completely untrue.  Ryne Giddens has no grade issues. He has all A's and B's this year and a core GPA over 3.0.  The Gators have never let up on him.  They are still after him hard.  He went on his official to Gainesville just a few weeks ago.  what are you talking about?  USC flew into town LAST week to talk to him.  Tennessee is still after him hard too.  He said in an interview the other day, he just doesn't answer his phone anymore so he doesn't have to deal with it.

As far as letting anyone in...ummmm last year we had 4 recruits that met the NCAA standards, but admissions would not let them into USF. 

You sound like one of those psycho UCF fans that stalk our message boards and spread all these rumors about our players being criminals and thugs.

Look at Lindsey Lamar for example. http://southflorida.scout.com/a.z?s=359&p=8&c=1&nid=3730367

The kid has offers from Duke, Wake Forest, and Boston College.  Do you think those schools just let anyone in too?  To give you some of his non super academic offers,,,

Here is a excerpt of an article about him committing to USF... "At the end Lindsey narrowed his choices down to Duke, South Carolina, and USF, but also had double digit offers including; Wake, West Virginia, FSU, Michigan, Louisville, Boston College, Clemson, Iowa State, before choosing the Bulls."

Those are some big time programs in there.  The kid is a track star. He is one of the fastest kids in America. He averaged 11 yards per carry this year at Hillsborough High.  He is going to be a slot receiver at USF.

Chase Griffiths out of Tallahassee has a 3.70 GPA and a 1240 SAT score. 

These are just a few off the top of my head,  I can go on if you want with the kids in this class.

Now. Are we on the same level recruiting right now as UF, FSU, and UM?  No.  But we are getting real close.  Almost every in state kid in this class has at least one offer from the Big 3.   In year's past, yes we were a fall back, but not this year.  Jarod Hosley for instance (who will be a USF commit on signing day) told the Gators he was not interested when they called him a few weeks ago.  They even wrote an article about it on the Gators rival site. 

Here is the article...

Florida is apparently looking for one more cornerback to fill out its 2009 recruiting class and Jayron Hosley said Gators' assistant coach Billy Gonzales stopped by his high school Wednesday to gauge his interest.

Hosley is pretty sure he will sign with South Florida.
The problem is this: The four-star prospect from Delray Beach Atlantic said he "pretty much has his mind made up" that he will sign with South Florida.

"(Gonzales) was telling me they're taking one more corner and they're interested in me with the season I had but I pretty much know where I'm going to school," said Hosley, a 5-foot-11, 175-pound recruit.

It would have been a significant pickup for the Gators because Rivals.com rates Hosley as the No. 11 cornerback nationally, the No. 21 prospect in the Florida top 100 of 2009 and he's also included in the Rivals 250. Florida recently lost a commitment from five-star corner Greg Reid.

He is expected to visit Virginia Tech next weekend. A trip to South Florida took place earlier this month and Hosley had also been to Louisville.

Vanderbilt, Clemson, Georgia, Ohio State and Michigan had also offered him. But it might be difficult, if not impossible, to pull Hosley away from South Florida on signing day.

"South Florida, all the way," Hosley said. "On signing day, I'm going to sign. I'm pretty much going to South Florida.

"I told (Gonzales) that South Florida was the school I'm going to and he said he understands that. It's been since spring (Florida was) recruiting me and I was supposed to go to a few camps but I never made it."

By mid-November, Hosley had four interceptions and scored five times on special teams. He also played slot receiver and sometimes lines up at running back, too. Rivals.com included Hosley in the categories of 'best athlete' and 'best ball skills' among cornerbacks.

Rivals.com recruiting analyst Jamie Newberg has been particularly high on Hosley's ability and he is ranked as the No. 139 prospect in the 2009 class. However, it looks like South Florida is far and away – right now anyway – the team to beat for his services.

"(Gonzales) is a straightforward guy, a good guy," Hosley said. "But he didn't know (about South Florida) until he came today. We haven't been in much contact. He came to the school and we talked a little. I pretty much have my mind made up. … It's pretty much done."

That was a story from Gatorbait.net.  That is a Gator recruting site.  So there is no USF slant there.  Look at that kids offers. He can go to school pretty much anywhere in the country and is picking USF. 

The list goes on and on.  So please don't give me this crap that they are getting the "sloppy seconds" from the "Big 3."  We have guys they all want that they can't pry away from us.

Hosley's proflie...http://www.usf.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=83136

lemmer40

Second String

#10 : January 31, 2009, 08:42:15 AM

Yup, I'm starting to follow it a little more every year. 

West Virginia, ranked #16 so far.  We never had a recruiting this class this good even when we had **CENSORED** Rod. 

According to Scout, WVU is even ahead of Michigan in recruiting!

joedav01

Hall of Famer

#11 : January 31, 2009, 10:54:33 AM

Yeah Lemmer.  WVU's class is terrific this year.  It should be interesting in 2 years when this year's class really starts paying dividends because WVU is loading up on offense this year and USF is loading up on defense.  Should make for some awesome matchups.  Rutgers was doing really well this year, but they had 4 guys de-commit this month and they dropped out of the top 25.  Pitt's class isn't bad either.  Looks like the Big East is going to be very top heavy because Louisville and Uconn's class are very weak.  Oh and Syracuse's class....well they should be ashamed.  Its awful.  They can't get anyone to commit there.  They are going to have a 1-AA talent level class coming in.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#12 : January 31, 2009, 12:37:31 PM

the people that say stars dont matter...

then why is Florida and USC etc always at the top.

Sure their is exceptions. Jeremiah Johnson 2 star, Max Unger 2 star, Patrick Chung 2 star, TJ Ward walk on. But then you go who were Oregons best offensive player in the last 10 years probably Jonathan Stewart (#1 RB in the country out of HS), and defense Haloti Ngata #1 defensive player out of high school. So yes teams can do well with 2 star/lower ranked teams put Id rather go to battle with a group of 4/5 star players. Stars do matter

LFO

Hall of Famer

#13 : January 31, 2009, 12:49:46 PM

LFO, that is completely untrue about Giddens.  I mean completely untrue.  Ryne Giddens has no grade issues. He has all A's and B's this year and a core GPA over 3.0.  The Gators have never let up on him.  They are still after him hard.  He went on his official to Gainesville just a few weeks ago.  what are you talking about?  USC flew into town LAST week to talk to him.  Tennessee is still after him hard too.  He said in an interview the other day, he just doesn't answer his phone anymore so he doesn't have to deal with it.

As far as letting anyone in...ummmm last year we had 4 recruits that met the NCAA standards, but admissions would not let them into USF. 

You sound like one of those psycho UCF fans that stalk our message boards and spread all these rumors about our players being criminals and thugs.

Look at Lindsey Lamar for example. http://southflorida.scout.com/a.z?s=359&p=8&c=1&nid=3730367

The kid has offers from Duke, Wake Forest, and Boston College.  Do you think those schools just let anyone in too?  To give you some of his non super academic offers,,,

Here is a excerpt of an article about him committing to USF... "At the end Lindsey narrowed his choices down to Duke, South Carolina, and USF, but also had double digit offers including; Wake, West Virginia, FSU, Michigan, Louisville, Boston College, Clemson, Iowa State, before choosing the Bulls."

Those are some big time programs in there.  The kid is a track star. He is one of the fastest kids in America. He averaged 11 yards per carry this year at Hillsborough High.  He is going to be a slot receiver at USF.

Chase Griffiths out of Tallahassee has a 3.70 GPA and a 1240 SAT score. 

These are just a few off the top of my head,  I can go on if you want with the kids in this class.

Now. Are we on the same level recruiting right now as UF, FSU, and UM?  No.  But we are getting real close.  Almost every in state kid in this class has at least one offer from the Big 3.   In year's past, yes we were a fall back, but not this year.  Jarod Hosley for instance (who will be a USF commit on signing day) told the Gators he was not interested when they called him a few weeks ago.  They even wrote an article about it on the Gators rival site. 

Here is the article...

Florida is apparently looking for one more cornerback to fill out its 2009 recruiting class and Jayron Hosley said Gators' assistant coach Billy Gonzales stopped by his high school Wednesday to gauge his interest.

Hosley is pretty sure he will sign with South Florida.
The problem is this: The four-star prospect from Delray Beach Atlantic said he "pretty much has his mind made up" that he will sign with South Florida.

"(Gonzales) was telling me they're taking one more corner and they're interested in me with the season I had but I pretty much know where I'm going to school," said Hosley, a 5-foot-11, 175-pound recruit.

It would have been a significant pickup for the Gators because Rivals.com rates Hosley as the No. 11 cornerback nationally, the No. 21 prospect in the Florida top 100 of 2009 and he's also included in the Rivals 250. Florida recently lost a commitment from five-star corner Greg Reid.

He is expected to visit Virginia Tech next weekend. A trip to South Florida took place earlier this month and Hosley had also been to Louisville.

Vanderbilt, Clemson, Georgia, Ohio State and Michigan had also offered him. But it might be difficult, if not impossible, to pull Hosley away from South Florida on signing day.

"South Florida, all the way," Hosley said. "On signing day, I'm going to sign. I'm pretty much going to South Florida.

"I told (Gonzales) that South Florida was the school I'm going to and he said he understands that. It's been since spring (Florida was) recruiting me and I was supposed to go to a few camps but I never made it."

By mid-November, Hosley had four interceptions and scored five times on special teams. He also played slot receiver and sometimes lines up at running back, too. Rivals.com included Hosley in the categories of 'best athlete' and 'best ball skills' among cornerbacks.

Rivals.com recruiting analyst Jamie Newberg has been particularly high on Hosley's ability and he is ranked as the No. 139 prospect in the 2009 class. However, it looks like South Florida is far and away – right now anyway – the team to beat for his services.

"(Gonzales) is a straightforward guy, a good guy," Hosley said. "But he didn't know (about South Florida) until he came today. We haven't been in much contact. He came to the school and we talked a little. I pretty much have my mind made up. … It's pretty much done."

That was a story from Gatorbait.net.  That is a Gator recruting site.  So there is no USF slant there.  Look at that kids offers. He can go to school pretty much anywhere in the country and is picking USF. 

The list goes on and on.  So please don't give me this crap that they are getting the "sloppy seconds" from the "Big 3."  We have guys they all want that they can't pry away from us.

Hosley's proflie...http://www.usf.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=83136

LOL

Ok, USF is a recruiting powerhouse, I get it. 

Keep telling yourself that.

That's why they aren't even listed in the TOP 25 on Rivals.com - this despite having 27 commitments. 

They may pull a few local guys in, but for the most part they are getting sloppy seconds.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#14 : January 31, 2009, 02:01:12 PM

Anyone watch QB AJ Graham from Tallahessee?

He was 3A player of the year in Florida and almost was MR Florida but hes only a 2 star recruit? Whats wrong with him? His stats are decent, has decent size. His only offers are Marshall and Kansas State? I want Oregon to maybe toss him an offer.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Anybody follow college football recruiting? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools