Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Anybody follow college football recruiting? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 9

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#15 : January 31, 2009, 02:33:09 PM

LFO, that is completely untrue about Giddens.? I mean completely untrue.? Ryne Giddens has no grade issues. He has all A's and B's this year and a core GPA over 3.0.? The Gators have never let up on him.? They are still after him hard.? He went on his official to Gainesville just a few weeks ago.? what are you talking about?? USC flew into town LAST week to talk to him.? Tennessee is still after him hard too.? He said in an interview the other day, he just doesn't answer his phone anymore so he doesn't have to deal with it.

As far as letting anyone in...ummmm last year we had 4 recruits that met the NCAA standards, but admissions would not let them into USF.?

You sound like one of those psycho UCF fans that stalk our message boards and spread all these rumors about our players being criminals and thugs.

Look at Lindsey Lamar for example. http://southflorida.scout.com/a.z?s=359&p=8&c=1&nid=3730367

The kid has offers from Duke, Wake Forest, and Boston College.? Do you think those schools just let anyone in too?? To give you some of his non super academic offers,,,

Here is a excerpt of an article about him committing to USF... "At the end Lindsey narrowed his choices down to Duke, South Carolina, and USF, but also had double digit offers including; Wake, West Virginia, FSU, Michigan, Louisville, Boston College, Clemson, Iowa State, before choosing the Bulls."

Those are some big time programs in there.? The kid is a track star. He is one of the fastest kids in America. He averaged 11 yards per carry this year at Hillsborough High.? He is going to be a slot receiver at USF.

Chase Griffiths out of Tallahassee has a 3.70 GPA and a 1240 SAT score.?

These are just a few off the top of my head,? I can go on if you want with the kids in this class.

Now. Are we on the same level recruiting right now as UF, FSU, and UM?? No.? But we are getting real close.? Almost every in state kid in this class has at least one offer from the Big 3.? ?In year's past, yes we were a fall back, but not this year.? Jarod Hosley for instance (who will be a USF commit on signing day) told the Gators he was not interested when they called him a few weeks ago.? They even wrote an article about it on the Gators rival site.?

Here is the article...

Florida is apparently looking for one more cornerback to fill out its 2009 recruiting class and Jayron Hosley said Gators' assistant coach Billy Gonzales stopped by his high school Wednesday to gauge his interest.
?

Hosley is pretty sure he will sign with South Florida.
The problem is this: The four-star prospect from Delray Beach Atlantic said he "pretty much has his mind made up" that he will sign with South Florida.

"(Gonzales) was telling me they're taking one more corner and they're interested in me with the season I had but I pretty much know where I'm going to school," said Hosley, a 5-foot-11, 175-pound recruit.

It would have been a significant pickup for the Gators because Rivals.com rates Hosley as the No. 11 cornerback nationally, the No. 21 prospect in the Florida top 100 of 2009 and he's also included in the Rivals 250. Florida recently lost a commitment from five-star corner Greg Reid.

He is expected to visit Virginia Tech next weekend. A trip to South Florida took place earlier this month and Hosley had also been to Louisville.

Vanderbilt, Clemson, Georgia, Ohio State and Michigan had also offered him. But it might be difficult, if not impossible, to pull Hosley away from South Florida on signing day.

"South Florida, all the way," Hosley said. "On signing day, I'm going to sign. I'm pretty much going to South Florida.

"I told (Gonzales) that South Florida was the school I'm going to and he said he understands that. It's been since spring (Florida was) recruiting me and I was supposed to go to a few camps but I never made it."

By mid-November, Hosley had four interceptions and scored five times on special teams. He also played slot receiver and sometimes lines up at running back, too. Rivals.com included Hosley in the categories of 'best athlete' and 'best ball skills' among cornerbacks.

Rivals.com recruiting analyst Jamie Newberg has been particularly high on Hosley's ability and he is ranked as the No. 139 prospect in the 2009 class. However, it looks like South Florida is far and away ? right now anyway ? the team to beat for his services.

"(Gonzales) is a straightforward guy, a good guy," Hosley said. "But he didn't know (about South Florida) until he came today. We haven't been in much contact. He came to the school and we talked a little. I pretty much have my mind made up. ? It's pretty much done."

That was a story from Gatorbait.net.? That is a Gator recruting site.? So there is no USF slant there.? Look at that kids offers. He can go to school pretty much anywhere in the country and is picking USF.?

The list goes on and on.? So please don't give me this crap that they are getting the "sloppy seconds" from the "Big 3."? We have guys they all want that they can't pry away from us.

Hosley's proflie...http://www.usf.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=83136

LOL

Ok, USF is a recruiting powerhouse, I get it.

Keep telling yourself that.

That's why they aren't even listed in the TOP 25 on Rivals.com - this despite having 27 commitments.

They may pull a few local guys in, but for the most part they are getting sloppy seconds.

They're not a recruiting power house, but this appears to be their best recruiting class ever and they're not only getting sloppy seconds.  It's silly though to exect a program barely over a decade old to be on the exact same level recruiting wise across the board with teams that have the tradition of UF, FSU, and UM.  It cracks me up when fans of those programs even attempt to talk down to USF fans by making comparisons.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#16 : January 31, 2009, 02:35:45 PM

LFO, that is completely untrue about Giddens.? I mean completely untrue.? Ryne Giddens has no grade issues. He has all A's and B's this year and a core GPA over 3.0.? The Gators have never let up on him.? They are still after him hard.? He went on his official to Gainesville just a few weeks ago.? what are you talking about?? USC flew into town LAST week to talk to him.? Tennessee is still after him hard too.? He said in an interview the other day, he just doesn't answer his phone anymore so he doesn't have to deal with it.

As far as letting anyone in...ummmm last year we had 4 recruits that met the NCAA standards, but admissions would not let them into USF.?

You sound like one of those psycho UCF fans that stalk our message boards and spread all these rumors about our players being criminals and thugs.

Look at Lindsey Lamar for example. http://southflorida.scout.com/a.z?s=359&p=8&c=1&nid=3730367

The kid has offers from Duke, Wake Forest, and Boston College.? Do you think those schools just let anyone in too?? To give you some of his non super academic offers,,,

Here is a excerpt of an article about him committing to USF... "At the end Lindsey narrowed his choices down to Duke, South Carolina, and USF, but also had double digit offers including; Wake, West Virginia, FSU, Michigan, Louisville, Boston College, Clemson, Iowa State, before choosing the Bulls."

Those are some big time programs in there.? The kid is a track star. He is one of the fastest kids in America. He averaged 11 yards per carry this year at Hillsborough High.? He is going to be a slot receiver at USF.

Chase Griffiths out of Tallahassee has a 3.70 GPA and a 1240 SAT score.?

These are just a few off the top of my head,? I can go on if you want with the kids in this class.

Now. Are we on the same level recruiting right now as UF, FSU, and UM?? No.? But we are getting real close.? Almost every in state kid in this class has at least one offer from the Big 3.? ?In year's past, yes we were a fall back, but not this year.? Jarod Hosley for instance (who will be a USF commit on signing day) told the Gators he was not interested when they called him a few weeks ago.? They even wrote an article about it on the Gators rival site.?

Here is the article...

Florida is apparently looking for one more cornerback to fill out its 2009 recruiting class and Jayron Hosley said Gators' assistant coach Billy Gonzales stopped by his high school Wednesday to gauge his interest.
?

Hosley is pretty sure he will sign with South Florida.
The problem is this: The four-star prospect from Delray Beach Atlantic said he "pretty much has his mind made up" that he will sign with South Florida.

"(Gonzales) was telling me they're taking one more corner and they're interested in me with the season I had but I pretty much know where I'm going to school," said Hosley, a 5-foot-11, 175-pound recruit.

It would have been a significant pickup for the Gators because Rivals.com rates Hosley as the No. 11 cornerback nationally, the No. 21 prospect in the Florida top 100 of 2009 and he's also included in the Rivals 250. Florida recently lost a commitment from five-star corner Greg Reid.

He is expected to visit Virginia Tech next weekend. A trip to South Florida took place earlier this month and Hosley had also been to Louisville.

Vanderbilt, Clemson, Georgia, Ohio State and Michigan had also offered him. But it might be difficult, if not impossible, to pull Hosley away from South Florida on signing day.

"South Florida, all the way," Hosley said. "On signing day, I'm going to sign. I'm pretty much going to South Florida.

"I told (Gonzales) that South Florida was the school I'm going to and he said he understands that. It's been since spring (Florida was) recruiting me and I was supposed to go to a few camps but I never made it."

By mid-November, Hosley had four interceptions and scored five times on special teams. He also played slot receiver and sometimes lines up at running back, too. Rivals.com included Hosley in the categories of 'best athlete' and 'best ball skills' among cornerbacks.

Rivals.com recruiting analyst Jamie Newberg has been particularly high on Hosley's ability and he is ranked as the No. 139 prospect in the 2009 class. However, it looks like South Florida is far and away ? right now anyway ? the team to beat for his services.

"(Gonzales) is a straightforward guy, a good guy," Hosley said. "But he didn't know (about South Florida) until he came today. We haven't been in much contact. He came to the school and we talked a little. I pretty much have my mind made up. ? It's pretty much done."

That was a story from Gatorbait.net.? That is a Gator recruting site.? So there is no USF slant there.? Look at that kids offers. He can go to school pretty much anywhere in the country and is picking USF.?

The list goes on and on.? So please don't give me this crap that they are getting the "sloppy seconds" from the "Big 3."? We have guys they all want that they can't pry away from us.

Hosley's proflie...http://www.usf.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=83136

LOL

Ok, USF is a recruiting powerhouse, I get it.

Keep telling yourself that.

That's why they aren't even listed in the TOP 25 on Rivals.com - this despite having 27 commitments.

They may pull a few local guys in, but for the most part they are getting sloppy seconds.

They're not a recruiting house, but this appears to be their best recruiting class ever and they're not only getting sloppy seconds.  It's silly though to exect a program barely over a decade old to be on the exact same level recruiting wise across the board with teams that have the tradition of UF, FSU, and UM.  It cracks me up when fans of those programs even attempt to talk down to USF fans by making comparisons.

Florida sloppy seconds is still better then most states talent.

There many schools that have a huge disadvantages in recruiting

joedav01

Hall of Famer

#17 : January 31, 2009, 02:47:15 PM

LOF you make it seem like you are either a "powerhouse" in recruiting or a school getting "sloppy seconds."

There is a middle ground there.  I never said USF was a recruting powerhouse. I said they are really starting to really start making a name for themselves in recruiting and were putting together their best class ever this year.

You respond with they only get sloppy seconds and kids that can't get into other schools due to grades. 

Oregon. You are right.  USF would never have been as successful this early if they weren't located in FL.  No doubt about that.

What happened to Oregon's recruting? They were putting together top 10 classes not too long ago.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#18 : January 31, 2009, 03:12:12 PM

LOF you make it seem like you are either a "powerhouse" in recruiting or a school getting "sloppy seconds."

There is a middle ground there.  I never said USF was a recruting powerhouse. I said they are really starting to really start making a name for themselves in recruiting and were putting together their best class ever this year.

You respond with they only get sloppy seconds and kids that can't get into other schools due to grades. 

Oregon. You are right.  USF would never have been as successful this early if they weren't located in FL.  No doubt about that.

What happened to Oregon's recruting? They were putting together top 10 classes not too long ago.

They do every other year it seems... they finish 2nd.

Tahj Boyd and Bryce Brown would be a top 10 class. Didnt land Boyd probably wont land Brown. This year its been the coaching changes. Key recruiters for guys have been asked to leave WR coach and DL coach, and not much talent out west IMO. When your fighting distance its hard to tell parents they should have their kid play 3000 miles away.

Next years class Ill be shocked if it isnt top 10. They will land a 5 star QB IMO seems like every dual threat one has Oregon on their list. And Oregon has 2 solid kids one was the junior army all american MVP this year who really likes Oregon. They also have commits 2, 2 kids already who probably will be 4 star next year. Ethan Grant (Florida) and an Oregon kid.

Im just happy Oregon now can hang east of the rockies thanks to Chip Kelly. Jacory Harris, Tommy Streeter, Aaron Boyd, Tahj Boyd, Bryce McNeal, all guys who Oregon has ran runner up to and IMO cause of distance.

When your hot bed is Cali, most kids grew up liking UCLA or USC.

joedav01

Hall of Famer

#19 : January 31, 2009, 03:46:42 PM

Tommy Streeter. Man.  That was one we thought we had last year.  We were heartbroken last year when he picked Miami.  We really thought we had him.

Yeah, I guess there is not a ton of talent right there in state at Oregon.  Good thing for all that Nike money to help pay for all that long distance recruiting.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#20 : January 31, 2009, 04:19:15 PM

Tommy Streeter. Man.  That was one we thought we had last year.  We were heartbroken last year when he picked Miami.  We really thought we had him.

Yeah, I guess there is not a ton of talent right there in state at Oregon.  Good thing for all that Nike money to help pay for all that long distance recruiting.

How does Nike money pay for recruiting? It use to with private jets etc but that stopped...

Right now with offensive players its the offense. Defense... I dont know but recruits love something about it because star wise defense gets the better players over the offense.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#21 : January 31, 2009, 05:00:46 PM

When your fighting distance its hard to tell parents they should have their kid play 3000 miles away.

Bingo! And I'd add to that weather. What do UF, Texas, USC, LSU all have in common besides lots of championships? Places where it almost never snows. I gotta believe some kid making his visits is going to be affected by sleet and slush in Ann Arbor or South Bend, rain and cold in Oregon vs sunny 70-80 degrees in LA or Austin or G'ville or Tampa.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#22 : January 31, 2009, 05:21:55 PM

When your fighting distance its hard to tell parents they should have their kid play 3000 miles away.

Bingo! And I'd add to that weather. What do UF, Texas, USC, LSU all have in common besides lots of championships? Places where it almost never snows. I gotta believe some kid making his visits is going to be affected by sleet and slush in Ann Arbor or South Bend, rain and cold in Oregon vs sunny 70-80 degrees in LA or Austin or G'ville or Tampa.

I dont think so. I dont think playing in Arizona in september or october is very fun.

The thing is the talent in the backyard... its no existant in Oregon/Washington. Oregon IMO has an idile football weather 50's-60's in football season. When Bryce Brown came for his official its was the worst weather Ive remember for a home game, and he rated his visit a 12 out of 10.

Distance plus talent in backyard. But I think Oregon overachieves every year in recruiting... they should be where OSU/Wazzu are

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#23 : January 31, 2009, 06:58:23 PM

I dont think so. I dont think playing in Arizona in september or october is very fun.

The thing is the talent in the backyard... its no existant in Oregon/Washington. Oregon IMO has an idile football weather 50's-60's in football season. When Bryce Brown came for his official its was the worst weather Ive remember for a home game, and he rated his visit a 12 out of 10.

Distance plus talent in backyard. But I think Oregon overachieves every year in recruiting... they should be where OSU/Wazzu are

In Oregon's case I think distance is a much bigger factor than weather (Oregon is a little wet but compared to Columbus or Ann Arbor it's pretty nice). But I think weather is a big reason behind the decline of the Big 10 (and ND)

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#24 : January 31, 2009, 08:24:08 PM

In Oregon's case I think distance is a much bigger factor than weather (Oregon is a little wet but compared to Columbus or Ann Arbor it's pretty nice). But I think weather is a big reason behind the decline of the Big 10 (and ND)

ND still gets good players... its coaching.

Minnesota, Michigan, OSU, Illinois all have good classes. The problem with the Big Ten everybody is just faster. Big Ten is still stuck 10 years in the past.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#25 : January 31, 2009, 08:37:39 PM

I disagree. 

Weis was 20-5 in his first two seasons at ND with good players.  He's 10-15 the last two years with the players he's recruited.  Weis didn't forget how to coach the last two seasons, IMO.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#26 : January 31, 2009, 08:41:48 PM

I disagree. 

Weis was 20-5 in his first two seasons at ND with good players.  He's 10-15 the last two years with the players he's recruited.  Weis didn't forget how to coach the last two seasons, IMO.

well they still are getting good players...

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#27 : January 31, 2009, 08:47:14 PM

I disagree. 

That's debatable, the records aren't.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#28 : January 31, 2009, 08:48:52 PM

I disagree. 

That's debatable, the records aren't.

the argument was about weather and it hasnt effected ND or the Big Ten about getting recruits

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#29 : January 31, 2009, 08:55:36 PM

And it's debatable whether or not ND gets good players.

There is no doubt they had good players when they were winning.  Either that or Weis is a freakin' genius.  Now, there is some question about how good their players are.

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Anybody follow college football recruiting? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools