Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Anybody follow college football recruiting? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#30 : January 31, 2009, 08:56:12 PM

And it's debatable whether or not ND gets good players.

There is no doubt they had good players when they were winning.  Either that or Weis is a freakin' genius.  Now, there is some question about how good their players are.

made my point

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#31 : January 31, 2009, 09:29:00 PM

There is no doubt they had good players when they were winning.� Either that or Weis is a freakin' genius.� Now, there is some question about how good their players are.

made my point

That's ND has good players and bad coaching?  I don't see how...

How did the bad coaching get the team to 20-5 Weis' first two seasons?

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#32 : January 31, 2009, 10:36:27 PM

There is no doubt they had good players when they were winning.� Either that or Weis is a freakin' genius.� Now, there is some question about how good their players are.

made my point

That's ND has good players and bad coaching?  I don't see how...

How did the bad coaching get the team to 20-5 Weis' first two seasons?
I think it's a combination, but no so much with Weis. Weis definitely struggled after Quinn and co left town because he was used to the Patriot way of plugging anyone into a spot and having them produce. Weis is a great coach IMO. I think his assistants leave something to be desired, which is why many of them were let go after this season. ND is a young team, and it takes young teams time to learn how to win. We'll see that this year in Tampa as well.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#33 : February 05, 2009, 10:44:09 PM

Yeah the star system is not perfect. For example Matt Grothe was a 2 star recruit and George Selvie was a 1 star recruit as a Center in High School if you can believe that.

This biggest thing I look for is the offers the kids have to gauge how good they are.

For example. Ryne Giddens in this class had over 70 offers. He was a Parade All American. Pete Carrol flew in to talk to him after he committed to USF to try to convince him to at least visit So. Cal and he said "No thank you. I am very happy with my decision." On his trip to Gainesville he left early Saturday morning. He didn't even stay for the whole trip. Giddens could have gone to any program in America. They all wanted him and he came to USF. That is how I know we are making headway in recruiting. We are no longer the back up plan for the in state kids that don't get offered by the "Big 3".

Lots of our commitments this year have offers from the big 3 and half the SEC and they picked USF. Its really exciting. The key is to keep the momentum going though. It can't just be one big class and then back to oblivion.

Giddens is a fine player, but he had grades issues that kept him from most schools. I do know that UF slowed down on him for grades issues.

USF is doing well, but they will still be getting sloppy seconds from most of the "big 3." I do think they will be able to get some of the local guys to stay, but they aren't close to being a national recruiting power house. It will come in time, perhaps, but right now they are still a far cry from being national recruiting contenders. Although, like WVU, the fact that they will allow just about anyone into school will certainly help.

These are by and large opinions

Which parts?  Let's break down what I said.

Giddens is a fine player, is he not?

Giddens has grades/qualifying issues, does he not?

USF is doing well, are they not?

USF is still getting sloppy seconds, recruiting rankings attest to that.

USF is able to get some local guys to stay, like Giddens.

USF is still not a national recruiting powerhouse, as the rankings attest again, and judging by who they got, how highly they were ranked, and where from.

They, like WVU, do tend to let a lot of fringe type players in that many schools won't or can't - this has been documented.

I guess about the only opinion I stated was, in time USF might become a national recruiting power.  Which I don't think that is negative to say.

Eager to see your spin, but I think that sums it up fairly nicely.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#34 : February 05, 2009, 10:36:28 PM

Yeah the star system is not perfect. For example Matt Grothe was a 2 star recruit and George Selvie was a 1 star recruit as a Center in High School if you can believe that.

This biggest thing I look for is the offers the kids have to gauge how good they are.

For example. Ryne Giddens in this class had over 70 offers. He was a Parade All American. Pete Carrol flew in to talk to him after he committed to USF to try to convince him to at least visit So. Cal and he said "No thank you. I am very happy with my decision." On his trip to Gainesville he left early Saturday morning. He didn't even stay for the whole trip. Giddens could have gone to any program in America. They all wanted him and he came to USF. That is how I know we are making headway in recruiting. We are no longer the back up plan for the in state kids that don't get offered by the "Big 3".

Lots of our commitments this year have offers from the big 3 and half the SEC and they picked USF. Its really exciting. The key is to keep the momentum going though. It can't just be one big class and then back to oblivion.

Giddens is a fine player, but he had grades issues that kept him from most schools. I do know that UF slowed down on him for grades issues.

USF is doing well, but they will still be getting sloppy seconds from most of the "big 3." I do think they will be able to get some of the local guys to stay, but they aren't close to being a national recruiting power house. It will come in time, perhaps, but right now they are still a far cry from being national recruiting contenders. Although, like WVU, the fact that they will allow just about anyone into school will certainly help.

These are by and large opinions

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#35 : February 05, 2009, 10:28:56 PM

Amazing how everything allegedly revolves around FU - like they are the ONLY college in football.  Yeah, you really know what Bert Reed and Greg Reid were thinking right?  How bout the DL that FSU signed - are they scared to compete with the almight FU Gators - PLEASE.  A guy goes to the college he feels most comfortable with.  Most high school guys have been touted as the next all that Heisman guy so do they look at depth charts - yes but do they say I have to compete - got news for ya they have to compete no matter where they go.  Ever think just because you are a Gator jock sniffer that others are not?  Florida has had a great run but lets keep it real it is not like they are the Miami and Florida State of the late 80's and 90's.  Winning two out of three National Championships is nice but lets not get carried away and think everything revolves around FU.  If they had gone to FU you would be like they are awesome but because they didn't you try to find flaws or excuses - get over yourself.

Just like a typical bunch of crocs - you ignore the total aspect of things and only pick out what is important to you.  You want to call yourself a "dynasty" or "titletown" yet you have not accomplished JACK.  Any team can win once every ten years - a true dynasty is one that wins year in and year out and who cares if it was in the 90's - at least WE DID IT.  Again let me make it clear we as FSU could care less about FU as until you step into our level you will and always will be out little biatches.  I respect Miami a lot more than FU as at least they can be in the same discussion with us as a dynasty. Please just try to be in the top 5 more than 2 years, so now crawl back in your hole and come back out in ten years.

C'mon Runole, part of the problem is you are trying to have a conversation with a bunch of crocs.  The only phrases they know are "go gators" and "superman wears Tebow" whatever.  Who cares what they have done vs FSU the past four years, who cares that they won a National Championship. They win what every ten years and they act like they own the place.  Put up the consistency FSU put up prior to this recent set-back.  You arrogant red necks act like you are all that although last time I checked you lost to Auburn, you lost to LSU, you lost to Georgia, you got PUNKED by Georgia and you got beat by a sorry Michigan team after your so-called "great" team that beat an overrated Ohio State team.  Gloat while you can as at FSU we put up consistent numbers while you guys are like a turtle that pokes his head out every ten years.  Mark my words Florida will NOT win a National Championship this year, next year or any year in the near future. Urban Meyer will leave you just as your boy Superior did as Florida is a stepping stone - let me clarify for all the red necks - y'all in't gettin in dun!!

Good call, genius.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#36 : February 02, 2009, 09:15:06 AM

the people that say stars dont matter...

then why is Florida and USC etc always at the top.

Sure their is exceptions. Jeremiah Johnson 2 star, Max Unger 2 star, Patrick Chung 2 star, TJ Ward walk on. But then you go who were Oregons best offensive player in the last 10 years probably Jonathan Stewart (#1 RB in the country out of HS), and defense Haloti Ngata #1 defensive player out of high school. So yes teams can do well with 2 star/lower ranked teams put Id rather go to battle with a group of 4/5 star players. Stars do matter

Because they've been at the top and the people that sell you this crap aren't stupid.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#37 : February 02, 2009, 05:50:05 PM

The problem with the Big Ten everybody is just faster. Big Ten is still stuck 10 years in the past.

Because they can't recruit the faster players.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#38 : February 02, 2009, 06:37:31 PM

The problem with ND is similar to FSU....they are recruiting some nice skilled position players but their OL is awful.  Now, granted, FSU has done better on the defensive side of the ball than ND, but if ND had an OL they wouldn't be quite so bad.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#39 : February 05, 2009, 09:53:33 PM

Man, you had to go and say something that is in some way or another a negative reflection on THE U of F.  Now we have to get lectured by the keeper of all of Gator land ....

Well there was some nice conversation about recruiting while it lasted ....

He didn't say anything negative about UF.  That was mostly ignorant Seminole drivel by someone extremely jealous of UF's success.  I don't need to lecture anyone....results speak for themselves.  FSU is wasting away in the dumps with Miami, while UF is thriving and USF is poised to leap frog FSU and UM for good and become the 2nd best team in the state.  See, there, I said something good about USF.

If you want to talk recruiting, we can talk recruiting.  I like to.  But just don't get offended if someone says factual things about a commit. 

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#40 : February 02, 2009, 07:43:20 PM

The problem with ND is similar to FSU....they are recruiting some nice skilled position players but their OL is awful.  Now, granted, FSU has done better on the defensive side of the ball than ND, but if ND had an OL they wouldn't be quite so bad.

I agree... if you have a bad OL its a long year.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#41 : February 02, 2009, 07:44:03 PM

The problem with the Big Ten everybody is just faster. Big Ten is still stuck 10 years in the past.

Because they can't recruit the faster players.

Its because their offenses and defenses arent exciting to players

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#42 : February 02, 2009, 09:00:25 PM

I think we have the players in place....I think you will see a big change with the new OL coach.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#43 : February 02, 2009, 09:36:06 PM

I think we have the players in place....I think you will see a big change with the new OL coach.

You talking FSU or ND?

If FSU, how long does Trigger need?

If ND, who is the new OL coach?  I haven't followed their staff this offseason.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#44 : February 05, 2009, 09:48:08 PM

Amazing how everything allegedly revolves around FU - like they are the ONLY college in football.  Yeah, you really know what Bert Reed and Greg Reid were thinking right?  How bout the DL that FSU signed - are they scared to compete with the almight FU Gators - PLEASE.  A guy goes to the college he feels most comfortable with.  Most high school guys have been touted as the next all that Heisman guy so do they look at depth charts - yes but do they say I have to compete - got news for ya they have to compete no matter where they go.  Ever think just because you are a Gator jock sniffer that others are not?  Florida has had a great run but lets keep it real it is not like they are the Miami and Florida State of the late 80's and 90's.  Winning two out of three National Championships is nice but lets not get carried away and think everything revolves around FU.  If they had gone to FU you would be like they are awesome but because they didn't you try to find flaws or excuses - get over yourself.

Did I say anything about a DL for FSU?  As for Reed and Reid, yes I do know what they were thnking, they said so.  Greg Reid himself stated he didn't want to go to UF and compete, he wanted to go somewhere he could play right away.  Bert Reed went to FSU because they told him he would be Percy Harvin, and at UF he'd have to play behind Percy Harvin (or as a CB which UF wanted him to be)...well, 2 years later and we are still waiting on him to be Percy Harvin...meanwhile he could have come to UF, and played CB, or played behind Percy, learned, won a national title, and be his successor....oh well, his loss. 

At least when I say something about FSU, it is based on facts and relevant material.  All you have is your personal insults and pathetic ignorant "FU" comments.  I guess coming from that strong academic background at FSU I can get your inability to get 2 letters in the correct order. 

Winning 2 of 3 is nice?  Yes, it is.  Has FSU ever done that?  It will be 3 of 4 fairly soon, but keep living in the past.  It is funny to listen to Seminoles homers act like it is 1993 and all is well.  Enjoy your probation while watching UF win titles.  If UF can win 13 next year - a real possibility, they will become the only team in NCAA history to win 100 games in 2 consecutive decades....should that result in a MNC, they would become one of only 5-6 teams I believe to win 3 of 4.  Deal with it, cope with it, or better yet, "Get over yourself."  At any rate, quit being jealous and God forbid, learn to spell "UF" right.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Anybody follow college football recruiting? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools