Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Solution to rural mailbox vandalism « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#30 : February 03, 2009, 10:39:49 PM

What if a car accidently plows into that mailbox filled with cement and gets killed by it. Wouldn't you be responsible?

Are you really trying to make this argument?

Appears so - unfortunately. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#31 : February 03, 2009, 11:53:08 PM

McDonalds gets sued for hot coffee causing burns, I"m sure a family could sue and probably win if a loved-one gets killed when running into mailbox filled w/ cement.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#32 : February 04, 2009, 03:06:51 AM

Personally, I was never into vandalism, as a child.

Vengeance vandalism?  Maybe...someone gave us grief in HS, we took it out on their property.  I was an idiot, but it was things like pissing in their locker, putting for-sale signs in front of their homes, crapping on their porches, prank phone calls when it was undetectable, etc...

Yeah, I hung out with a volatile posse.  But we are good friends to this day, and laugh about it.  Although nowadays, I detest that sort of thing.  I did not go about blasting mailboxes, burning stuff, flattening tires...and I would love to catch some punks doing that stuff...it makes life interesting.  Ina negative way, I guess.  But I agree with OP.  Building a cement filled mailbox in an effort to teach kids a lesson is awesome.  Sure, a wrist may get fractures, but damnit...it is time for retaliation.  The OP is an older gent,who apparently hates rebuilding his property when numbskulls drive by and destroy it.  Who can blame him?  I give the guy a thumbs up, and know he will not have to build another one again.

Maybe he should post a sign about 20 yards in front of it:  MAILBOX MADE OF CEMENT!

Should be ample warning for the morons who do this sort of thing, yes?

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#33 : February 04, 2009, 03:32:25 AM

McDonalds gets sued for hot coffee causing burns, I"m sure a family could sue and probably win if a loved-one gets killed when running into mailbox filled w/ cement.

If I placed the mailbox in the middle of the road, you might have a valid argument. I didn't. It is at the proper height and proper distance from the pavement. The intent is a safe and secure place for my mail and no law abiding citizen has any reason to fear my mailbox. It does not endanger my neighbors since the base is surrounded by boulders and rocks removed from an adjacent field long ago when this land was being farmed. There is a sharp 90 degree turn and a stop sign at a T interception bracketing my driveway. Even the dumbest teenager has better sense than to race up this stretch of roadway.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#34 : February 04, 2009, 06:50:44 AM

Sparky, I think you are a fine american.   If we had more like you and less chicken **CENSORED**s like the people saying "don't do that, you'll be sued", this country would be less wussified than it has become.

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#35 : February 04, 2009, 07:39:52 AM

crapping on their porches
ROFLMAO

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#36 : February 04, 2009, 09:03:08 AM

2 things.

A guy I used to teach with had his pumpkins smashed on halloween every single year.  His kids used to get bummed out about it, so one year he fought back.  He put thumb tacks into masking tape and taped them to the back of his pumpkins...  That weekend, one of his pumpins was dropped, and only cracked, so he knew that someone had tried to smash his pumpkin, but didn't quite succeed.

That Monday, in school, he has a kid come into his class with his hands all bandaged up.  When he questioned him why his hands were bandaged up, the kid cracked and admitted that he had went on a smashing pumpkin spree and came across a pumpkin with spikes sticking out the back.  His hands had about 50 puncture wounds all over them.  The guy told the kid that that pumpkin belonged to him, and the kid of course claimed that he didn't know it was his...  He also claimed he had never done it the years before...  RIIIIIIGHT!

So, in my eyes, that is poetic justice...  Now-a-days, there is probably a lawsuit involved in there somewhere. 

I had a christmas decoration stolen this year.  It was a 3 ft. high plastic Winnie the Pooh that we bought the year my son was born, and have had it in the yard every year since.  Doesn't sound like a big deal to most, but it had sentimental value, and the fact that someone walked up to my house, unplugged it and took it angered me to no end.  My daughter, who has also had it up every christmas since she was born was really bummed out, and was worried what had happened to it.  Did someone just take it and pitch it out on the road someplace, were they going to use it for decorating their house?  Anyway, she was very saddened by the entire situation.

I called and filled out a police report, like that even mattered, but had to do it just in case they busted a car load of kids who may have been collecting them.  If it was an adult stealing it, I'd like to pull a chrispy on them and punch them in the face!  To make a long story short, I wish I had caught them in the act, it was senseless theft and vandalism, and it is uncalled for.

Will we continue to put up christmas decorations?  I don't know, but that kind of crap ruins it for everyone, and it is too bad that I even have to consider whether or not to set them up next year...

ok, sorry, carry on...

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#37 : February 04, 2009, 09:04:11 AM

ROFLMAO

Not surprised that YOU would find that funny...  Maybe in high school or Jr. high that would have seemed like a funny thing to do to someone, but now, as an adult? 

Just figures...

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#38 : February 04, 2009, 09:24:15 AM

ROFLMAO

Not surprised that YOU would find that funny... Maybe in high school or Jr. high that would have seemed like a funny thing to do to someone, but now, as an adult?

Just figures...
You aren't able to look back, and laugh at the stupid things that you did when you were a kid?

Flame on

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Solution to rural mailbox vandalism « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools