Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Josh Freeman « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 10

Bucs Capacitor

Hall of Famer
#15 : January 31, 2009, 08:24:29 PM

I'm waiting on the combine before I I'm sold on this kid. Even then, you just never know how he'll fare against real defenses.

He beat Texas

So did Texas Tech.  Doesn't mean that Graham Harrell is going to be the next John Elway.

warrenfb12

Hall of Famer

#16 : January 31, 2009, 08:27:53 PM

I'm waiting on the combine before I I'm sold on this kid. Even then, you just never know how he'll fare against real defenses.

He beat Texas

So did Texas Tech. Doesn't mean that Graham Harrell is going to be the next John Elway.

Touche

LFO

Hall of Famer

#17 : January 31, 2009, 08:46:08 PM

I'll pass.

If he can only hit 58% of his passes in a college conference littered with average to below defenses, what do you think he'll hit in the NFL?  Look at his games, outside of the Oklahoma game he was pretty damn bad against most of the better teams.  TT, Colorado, Missouri, Nebraska, Kansas he was pathetic. 

Sure, he's got a strong arm, and good size.  But a strong arm doesn't mean much if you can't hit your WR, and from the looks of it Freeman can't, especially against the stiffer competition. 

If he is what we are looking at when #19 rolls around, I'd hope we pass on him and try and get a QB next year.  We shouldn't draft a QB just for the sake of drafting one.  This looks like a weak year for QB's, we may be better off waiting, especially when we have other needs.

Ericsbucs371

Hall of Famer

#18 : January 31, 2009, 08:58:43 PM

Also on the JJ thing. Josh Johnson is a 5th round pick? Josh Freeman is a first rounder. If JJ had the same athletic ability as Josh Freeman he would have been in the first round, not the 5th. Freeman is 6 foot 6, 230 or 240, and can beat defenses with his feet as well as his tremendous arm. I think that Freeman has also seen more stiff competition at Kansas State, Johnson played Div 1-AA. It should not be a debate. I dont think the new staff will stick with JJ. It's not that I am wishing him to do badly, I am just being realistic with a 5th round draft pick.

Freeman is a solid 6'6'', 250 pound QB. He is going to run in the 4.7-8 area at the Combine and teams are going to fall in love with how strong his arm is. I really hope that the Bucs can get him with the 19th pick. He has 3 years starting experience in a pro-style offense, while his stats werent jaw-dropping, his INT ratio was solid and this guy just has so much upside that he can really be a superstar.

He's a risk, but the day of average QBs has got to end sometime. Let's get a QB we can really build an offense with.

I agree. IMO after the combine he will be the talk of the NFL. I like him. I'd be very happy with him at 19.

ilovebeer

Starter

#19 : January 31, 2009, 09:40:34 PM

I'll pass.

If he can only hit 58% of his passes in a college conference littered with average to below defenses, what do you think he'll hit in the NFL?  Look at his games, outside of the Oklahoma game he was pretty damn bad against most of the better teams.  TT, Colorado, Missouri, Nebraska, Kansas he was pathetic. 

Sure, he's got a strong arm, and good size.  But a strong arm doesn't mean much if you can't hit your WR, and from the looks of it Freeman can't, especially against the stiffer competition. 

If he is what we are looking at when #19 rolls around, I'd hope we pass on him and try and get a QB next year.  We shouldn't draft a QB just for the sake of drafting one.  This looks like a weak year for QB's, we may be better off waiting, especially when we have other needs.

I agree that this isn't the year for drafting qbs.  But I bet at least 1 of these qbs turns out to be a star.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#20 : January 31, 2009, 10:04:12 PM

I'll pass.

So your basing his accuracy by his completion %? So is Zac Robinson (Oklahoma State) is a now a more accurate QB than Freeman? I think it's going to hurt your numbers when your best WR is 5'7 and nobody else respectable on his team.

His situation of a poor supporting cast is a resemblance of what Jay Cutler experienced.

BucFan9720

Practice Squad

#21 : January 31, 2009, 10:27:55 PM

I'll pass.

I assure you if he played in a college-style offense he would have the 65% compeletion percentage you want him to, or if his coaching was better as well. He wasnt coached by top notch guys like the staff in Tampa is like, and he played in a pro-style offense in college. His stats are going to be hard to compare to other guys coming from stat-padding offenses.

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#22 : January 31, 2009, 10:44:25 PM

Well said seven....

Very well said.

Larry Brackins

Starter
#23 : January 31, 2009, 10:50:09 PM

Also on the JJ thing. Josh Johnson is a 5th round pick? Josh Freeman is a first rounder. If JJ had the same athletic ability as Josh Freeman he would have been in the first round, not the 5th. Freeman is 6 foot 6, 230 or 240, and can beat defenses with his feet as well as his tremendous arm. I think that Freeman has also seen more stiff competition at Kansas State, Johnson played Div 1-AA. It should not be a debate. I dont think the new staff will stick with JJ. It's not that I am wishing him to do badly, I am just being realistic with a 5th round draft pick.
Wow, you honestly think Josh Freeman is a better athlete than Josh Johnson is? That's just not very smart. Josh Freeman has a cannon of a right arm and a very projectable frame and played in the Big 12, combine that with the weak QB class and that's why he is a 1st round pick. I want no part of Freeman. I'd rather draft a defensive lineman and go with Johnson if we are going to do that. I'm not saying I want JJ starting either.

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#24 : January 31, 2009, 10:54:11 PM

I'll pass.

If he can only hit 58% of his passes in a college conference littered with average to below defenses, what do you think he'll hit in the NFL?  Look at his games, outside of the Oklahoma game he was pretty damn bad against most of the better teams.  TT, Colorado, Missouri, Nebraska, Kansas he was pathetic.  

Sure, he's got a strong arm, and good size.  But a strong arm doesn't mean much if you can't hit your WR, and from the looks of it Freeman can't, especially against the stiffer competition.  

If he is what we are looking at when #19 rolls around, I'd hope we pass on him and try and get a QB next year.  We shouldn't draft a QB just for the sake of drafting one.  This looks like a weak year for QB's, we may be better off waiting, especially when we have other needs.

I assure you if he played in a college-style offense he would have the 65% compeletion percentage you want him to, or if his coaching was better as well. He wasnt coached by top notch guys like the staff in Tampa is like, and he played in a pro-style offense in college. His stats are going to be hard to compare to other guys coming from stat-padding offenses.

Good point. Matt Ryan had a 59.3 completion %

JM2

Pro Bowler

#25 : January 31, 2009, 11:22:35 PM

Pull the trigger. I think people are too scared of getting a bust. Busts happens, deal with it. if you don't try you'll never get a franchise guy.

And with the first pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Teddy Bridgewater, Quarterback, Louisville.

warrenfb12

Hall of Famer

#26 : February 01, 2009, 12:19:56 AM

Pull the trigger. I think people are too scared of getting a bust. Busts happens, deal with it. if you don't try you'll never get a franchise guy.

Agreed

Simon Phoenix

Starter

#27 : February 01, 2009, 12:22:08 AM

Take him at 19..let him and JJ slug it out for the starting spot

------------------------------------------------------------------------

We can rebuild him..we have the technology

Bucs Capacitor

Hall of Famer
#28 : February 01, 2009, 01:27:20 AM

I'll pass.

If he can only hit 58% of his passes in a college conference littered with average to below defenses, what do you think he'll hit in the NFL?  Look at his games, outside of the Oklahoma game he was pretty damn bad against most of the better teams.  TT, Colorado, Missouri, Nebraska, Kansas he was pathetic.  

Sure, he's got a strong arm, and good size.  But a strong arm doesn't mean much if you can't hit your WR, and from the looks of it Freeman can't, especially against the stiffer competition.  

If he is what we are looking at when #19 rolls around, I'd hope we pass on him and try and get a QB next year.  We shouldn't draft a QB just for the sake of drafting one.  This looks like a weak year for QB's, we may be better off waiting, especially when we have other needs.

Good point. Matt Ryan had a 59.3 completion %

+1

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#29 : February 01, 2009, 03:31:46 AM

I don't think anyone questions his arm or physique; aside from his accuracy it's his intangibles and ethic that are a concern.  He will get grilled during combine interviews.

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Josh Freeman « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools