Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Matt Cassell, Franchised. 14.65 Million... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 10

LFO

Hall of Famer

: February 05, 2009, 10:38:06 PM

I say no team trades for him and make the pats pay two QBs top player money.

I'd say the Pats would be ok with that, for one year, given the uncertainty surrounding Brady.

As we can attest, cap space is really nothing these days......the Pats bring in enough money and the cap is high enough where they can afford it.  I only wish we had ownership willing to do what it takes to maintain a championship franchise....even if it means spending money on 2 QB's......

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#1 : February 05, 2009, 10:36:05 PM

LFO

Hall of Famer

#2 : February 05, 2009, 10:24:03 PM

Isn't that nuts?

Over half their cap is wrapped up in two QBs

How you figure?

Unless Brady is making $100+ million per year, I don't see how half the cap is tied up in those 2.
If you cannot see his point, then you need sarcasm classes friendo.  That is a damn lot of pennies to be doling out for two skill position players that cannot be on the field at the same time.  The Pats are doing this, and smartly I might add, because they will most likely part ways with him, and gather a pick, or picks, in compensation.  So Cassell gets his top five pay, and the Pats get their "fair" compensation, rather than let him walk.

Man, the Pats are lucky, and smart. 

I agree they will look to trade him, but if not I don't think it will hurt to carry them both. 

#1 they are a money making machine.  They sell out games and lots of merch, and are a winning team. 
#2 Brady's status is up in the air, despite him saying he will be ready week 1.  If they want to continue winning, they'll need a capable backup. He proved that this year. 

New England has $21 million or so I believe in CAP space heading into 09.  Without knowing their FA players, I'd say they could probably afford to keep Cassel one year. 

I do know, according to scout, DE Richard Seymour, OT Matt Light, WR Randy Moss, LB Adalius Thomas, and DE Jarvis Green have a combined $65m in cap charges.  They'll likely restructure a few of those guys, which IMO are much bigger problem than $28 million in the 2 QB's......

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#3 : February 05, 2009, 10:13:45 PM

Yeah, the cap is like 125 million dollars or so.
Cassell is not under the "exclusive" Franchise Tag....He can deal with any team and the Pats can match it or the team has to send them TWO first round picks. Or they can trade Cassell for all they can get for him. Probably a first and 3rd and he would be yours.
Still not convinced that Cassell is all that.  He had the blessing of a good O-line, and and group of wideouts that are star caliber.  Moss and Welker make secondaries cringe...

He is a good, accurate passer, however, but he was not hammered a ton, and in another system, starting day 1 again, I am not sure he would not just be an average QB...which is to say he would be Derek Anderson deluxe.

The Q

Pro Bowler

#4 : February 05, 2009, 10:15:26 PM

I'm with you, Boid.....Buyer beware!.....Matt Cassell is not a shoo-in for the Hall.

The BUCS are gonna surprise people this year!

The Q

Pro Bowler

#5 : February 05, 2009, 10:10:51 PM

Yeah, the cap is like 125 million dollars or so.
Cassell is not under the "exclusive" Franchise Tag....He can deal with any team and the Pats can match it or the team has to send them TWO first round picks. Or they can trade Cassell for all they can get for him. Probably a first and 3rd and he would be yours.

The BUCS are gonna surprise people this year!

LFO

Hall of Famer

#6 : February 05, 2009, 10:05:16 PM

Isn't that nuts?

How you figure?

Unless Brady is making $100+ million per year, I don't see how half the cap is tied up in those 2.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#7 : February 05, 2009, 10:10:10 PM

Isn't that nuts?

How you figure?

If you cannot see his point, then you need sarcasm classes friendo.  That is a damn lot of pennies to be doling out for two skill position players that cannot be on the field at the same time.  The Pats are doing this, and smartly I might add, because they will most likely part ways with him, and gather a pick, or picks, in compensation.  So Cassell gets his top five pay, and the Pats get their "fair" compensation, rather than let him walk.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#8 : February 05, 2009, 09:55:54 PM

...lot of loot to pay for a backup.  Albeit, a great insurance policy, for THAT team. 

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9185248/Patriots-put-franchise-tag-on-QB-Cassel?MSNHPHMA

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#9 : February 05, 2009, 09:56:45 PM

Isn't that nuts?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#10 : February 05, 2009, 10:02:51 PM

I am assuming that the Pats are not willing to let Cassell walk for nothing, and by doing this, they g'tee themselves something in return.

The Jets are going to wind up releasing Favre pretty soon as well, and they are not going to get anything in return.  So they will have nothing to show for all the debacle that is Favre.  And watch, he is going to wind up with the Vikes...he will find a way yet.

Bucsman90

Rookie
#11 : February 07, 2009, 07:22:46 AM

I'm with you, Boid.....Buyer beware!.....Matt Cassell is not a shoo-in for the Hall.

Matt Cassel-QB- Patriots Feb. 6 - 4:27 pm et

Beat writer Stephen Holder expects the Bucs to take a long, hard look at trading for Matt Cassel this offseason.

The Bucs are in dire straits at quarterback with 39-year-old Jeff Garcia and backup Luke McCown both free agents and Josh Johnson more than a year away. With a new coach, a new GM, and a rebuilding offense, the Bucs could be primed for a bold move.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3237

JoshJohnson11

Hall of Famer

#12 : February 05, 2009, 11:27:11 PM

Their just locking him up till Free agency is over because then they can get something for him instead of letting him go for free.
After showing what he's got during the regular season. no way they get nothing for him.

Please leave your message after the beep.BEEP!!!

HughC

Pro Bowler

#13 : February 05, 2009, 11:28:00 PM

I would say that given recent past NFL history, there will probably be at least one team willing to overpay for him.
Look at what the Saints gave up to draft Ricky Williams several years ago, or what teams paid Javon Walker, Ernest Wiford, Jerry Porter, Donte Stallworth, etc. as free agents last year - in a league where QB's are in much higher demand than a WR or RB.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#14 : February 06, 2009, 12:02:37 AM

It's really just not fair.

Watch in a couple seasons we will be having this discussion about Kevin O'Connell
Page: 1 2 3 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Matt Cassell, Franchised. 14.65 Million... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools