Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Matt Cassell, Franchised. 14.65 Million... « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 8 9 10

#135 : February 16, 2009, 09:16:03 PM

Rather than "should the Bucs trade for Cassel", a better question would be "what is Cassel's value", or "what is the most that the Bucs should give up (trade & contract) for Cassel?"

hence the question i posed...... is he worth a 2nd which he DEF is.

HughC

Pro Bowler

#136 : February 16, 2009, 09:27:06 PM

Rather than "should the Bucs trade for Cassel", a better question would be "what is Cassel's value", or "what is the most that the Bucs should give up (trade & contract) for Cassel?"

hence the question i posed...... is he worth a 2nd which he DEF is.
So a 2nd rounder (and maybe, if we have to, a conditional 2010 pick also based on the performance of the Bucs and/or Cassel) - that then leaves the question of what would constitute a good value for the Bucs in terms of a contract for Cassel, and what would be the maximum contract that the Bucs should pay Cassel - given they make the trade outlined above?

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#137 : February 16, 2009, 09:30:42 PM

A 2nd for that guy?   Not if he's making 14.65 million.   He's not worth a 7th rounder for that salary.    Better off without him.    If they want to send Brady here, that's different.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#138 : February 16, 2009, 09:39:15 PM

A 2nd for that guy?   Not if he's making 14.65 million.   He's not worth a 7th rounder for that salary.    Better off without him.    If they want to send Brady here, that's different.

Obviously, a trade would mean a long term deal worked out, which I would imagine would be far less than $14.65MM.

HughC

Pro Bowler

#139 : February 16, 2009, 09:39:29 PM

A 2nd for that guy? Not if he's making 14.65 million. He's not worth a 7th rounder for that salary. Better off without him. If they want to send Brady here, that's different.
He's not going to be paid $14 million, you have to look beyond that.  If he's traded, the teams will have already agreed to a long term deal.

What salary is he worth?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#140 : February 16, 2009, 11:50:14 PM

If the BUcs are running shotgun over and over, I will just assume that Graham is hurt.

New England has had GREAT success running the spread/shotgun, with Brady or Cassel.

Why would that be such a bad thing?
Because we are not New England, first of all.  And we do not have Randy Moss or Wes Welker.  And we do not have Bellicheat.

If those are not strong enough answers, than maybe soccer is for you.  No offense.

Rosenfels beat the Bucs.� Would Schaub have done that?� Never know.

He almost beat the Colts, but he should have slid, IMO.� That fumble did them in, IMO...

Rosenfels will have his fan-boys.� Just like we have JC510.� He is the Luke "fan"boy.� Go to the Texans board. The backup is ALWAYS a fan fave man.

Unless you live in New England, or Indy.

Seriously?

Schaub
66%, 276 YPG 15 TD (17 total), 10 INt, 93 QB rating

Rosenfels
66% 238 YPG 6 TD, 10 INT, 79 QB rating

Is that even close?

I know 3 Texans fans, and all HATE Rosenfels. I will say, they all don't like how Schaub gets hurt a few games each year, but by far they all think he is the greater QB. And he is.
I have posted Schaubs numbers, and I do not think they are that great.  He fumbles a lot, he takes his annual vacay, and his TD numbers are far from stellar, given he has a prime time wide out to throw to.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#141 : February 16, 2009, 11:56:15 PM

A 2nd for that guy? Not if he's making 14.65 million. He's not worth a 7th rounder for that salary. Better off without him. If they want to send Brady here, that's different.
He's not going to be paid $14 million, you have to look beyond that.  If he's traded, the teams will have already agreed to a long term deal.

What salary is he worth?

Rotoworld speculates his deal will be $60+MM

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

Matt Cassel-QB- Patriots   Feb. 16 - 11:38 pm et

49ers GM Scot McCloughan ruled out the possibility of San Francisco pursuing Patriots franchise player Matt Cassel.
McCloughan called a deal "not feasible." The 49ers are going with a run-heavy approach and are unlikely to mortgage their future for a passer. Cassel would cost a $60+ million contract and multiple high draft picks.
Source: Santa Rosa Press Democrat
Related: 49ers

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#142 : February 17, 2009, 12:08:14 AM

He is not worth 60 mill.

Not even close.

One year wonders are NEVER worth that.  Sorry guys.

#143 : February 17, 2009, 12:24:40 AM

we all (at least the knowledgable posters amongst us) know that the $60mil(or whatever) is an irrelevant number...... its all about the signing bonus.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#144 : February 17, 2009, 01:18:57 AM

I think I may need to rethink my dislike of Cassell.

And I don't do that for nothing - thanks Bradentonian - gives me something to consider.

Seeing as how Jagz may be slightly familiar with the spread...

Nah, never mind.

If the starting point of the discussion is $60 mil then I'm in the wrong conversation.

Incomparable sig by Incognito

HughC

Pro Bowler

#145 : February 17, 2009, 12:32:07 PM

Where is Rotoworld coming up with $60 million?  From what I've read not even Patriot fans are expecting him to fetch that much.  And as far as 'multiple high draft picks', I question that as well; the Patriots primary beat writer thinks it will only cost a conditional second round pick. 

If it really is going to cost a first and a second, a $15 million signing bonus, and $9 million per year (i.e., $60 mil/5 years) then I would walk away.  But if it ends up only costing a 2nd plus a conditional pick in 2010 based on the performance of the Bucs and Cassel, and say a $9 - 10 million signing bonus paying about $5 million per year, with another $2 million that can be earned with performance incentives, then I say go for it.

My point is that the Bucs should at least investigate and find out what it would cost.  Hey, make a lowball offer; what have you got to lose?  Would any of us really feel confident going in to next season with the current options at QB - McCown, Josh Johnson, and maybe somebody like Leftwich also?

LFO

Hall of Famer

#146 : February 17, 2009, 07:07:42 PM

If the BUcs are running shotgun over and over, I will just assume that Graham is hurt.

New England has had GREAT success running the spread/shotgun, with Brady or Cassel.

Why would that be such a bad thing?
Because we are not New England, first of all.  And we do not have Randy Moss or Wes Welker.  And we do not have Bellicheat.

If those are not strong enough answers, than maybe soccer is for you.  No offense.

Rosenfels beat the Bucs.� Would Schaub have done that?� Never know.

He almost beat the Colts, but he should have slid, IMO.� That fumble did them in, IMO...

Rosenfels will have his fan-boys.� Just like we have JC510.� He is the Luke "fan"boy.� Go to the Texans board. The backup is ALWAYS a fan fave man.

Unless you live in New England, or Indy.

Seriously?

Schaub
66%, 276 YPG 15 TD (17 total), 10 INt, 93 QB rating

Rosenfels
66% 238 YPG 6 TD, 10 INT, 79 QB rating

Is that even close?

I know 3 Texans fans, and all HATE Rosenfels. I will say, they all don't like how Schaub gets hurt a few games each year, but by far they all think he is the greater QB. And he is.
I have posted Schaubs numbers, and I do not think they are that great.  He fumbles a lot, he takes his annual vacay, and his TD numbers are far from stellar, given he has a prime time wide out to throw to.

Soccer?

LOL.

The point isn't what NE had or we don't...it's that a spread offense wouldn't be a bad thing.  We don't have to have the same players to make it work.  That offense worked great even before Moss/Welker, they had scrubs at WR.  Sometimes scheme is greater than players.  Of course greater players help, but if you have a good system you can plug players in and get production. 

And Rosenfels had some AWFUL fumbles as well, so not seeing the point there.

Schaub >> Rosenfels, and it isn't even really close.

If you don't get that, maybe badminton is for you....
Page: 1 ... 8 9 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Matt Cassell, Franchised. 14.65 Million... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools