Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: pitiful « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#30 : February 05, 2009, 10:11:44 AM

Nice points DalBuc.  I personally do not believe there is any dollar amount that we can throw at public education that will solve the problem.  The problem is, I think 2 fold:  1) Lack of parental involvement.
2) The standardized testing system is bunk. 

Parental involvement matters there's no doubt but a lot of the failure is buried in the educational system itself. Parental involvement is what gets a kid from C to B or A but the most basic C level education isn't a matter of parenting. People act like turn of the 20th century parents were deeply involved in education when in fact for most of them educzation was an annoyance that kept their kids from farm duties. Despite that lack of interest that 1880-1910 phase was the greatest expansion of literacy and education in this country. We have a gross failure in the education system to teach fundamental skills in favor of electives and technology. One of the most telling things I've ever seen is that in 1905 high school curciculum in Hugo, Oklahoma (and yes I've leafed through it in their local museum don't ask why) was much more rigorous in core subjects than my education in the 1980's and that 1980's experience is tougher than what we have now. Couple that with the pathetic knowledge and skill level of the average teacher and we have a crushingly obvious scenario for failure in the educational system.

Testing is sub-optimal but here's the flip side. In the Dallas County Community College District, Texas Instruments sponsors a Rising Stars program. This program awards tutition to any graduate from the Dallas ISD with a B or better average. Here's the problem, over half of these "Above Average" students are in developmental classes for both math and reading. Around 10% get dumped into something called the "Success Express" which roughly 5th-6th grade level work. Testing is a bad tool trying to level the playing fields between DISD where they pass out A's and B's like candy on Halloween and school districts that have a tougher set of grading standards.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

GhostRider

Hall of Famer

#31 : February 05, 2009, 10:20:00 AM

I like where you are going with this, but I must disagree with one point.  The advent of elective classes, I feel, is a step in the right direction.  Many HS age kids either tune out or drop out because of the rigorous, non-world applicability of the subject matter.  I was very pleased that at my daughter's school, they offer a variety of electives such as Fashion Design (which is her passion), culinary arts, etc.  Gone are the days of simply Woodshop, Autoshop or Home Ec.  In a world where a 4 yr degree means less and less, schools that have a trade focus are bound to produce more productive members of society.  JMO.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#32 : February 05, 2009, 10:56:23 AM

i think you guys are really missing the whole point of the digital TV campaign. the main reason behind all of it is to free up the airways for wireless services and EMT's etc... and to get people to PAY for TV instead of getting it for free. here's an article from the post that i read this morning..

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/04/AR2009020402584.html?wprss=rss_print

No, I understand why they're wanting to make the switch to digital tv.  I have no particular problem with that.  It's the idea of the federal government paying hundreds of millions of dollars to ensure that people can continue to watch their Deal or No Deal that I'm having a hard time with.

I guess it's just classist of me since part of the problem is surely that everyone I know so few people that don't have satellite tv or cable.

loweredexpectations

Starter
#33 : February 05, 2009, 11:20:27 AM

i think you guys are really missing the whole point of the digital TV campaign. the main reason behind all of it is to free up the airways for wireless services and EMT's etc... and to get people to PAY for TV instead of getting it for free. here's an article from the post that i read this morning..

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/04/AR2009020402584.html?wprss=rss_print

No, I understand why they're wanting to make the switch to digital tv.  I have no particular problem with that.  It's the idea of the federal government paying hundreds of millions of dollars to ensure that people can continue to watch their Deal or No Deal that I'm having a hard time with.

well, really, verizon wireless and a t & t came up with most that money (19 bil) for the "federal government." either way i was unaware that there would be NO monthly bills for this access... interesting to say the least... but most of this doesn't involve our tax dollars.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#34 : February 05, 2009, 11:39:02 AM

It's OTA broadcasts.  That is, it's what you get over your rabbit ears.  Why would there be monthly bills for it?  That's what commercials are for.

Oh, and to be clear, the money that Verizon and AT&T spent was for the right to use bandwidth that's being freed up by the conversion to digital tv.  You can rest assured that there they will be charging their customers for how they use it.

kevabuc

Hall of Famer

#35 : February 05, 2009, 11:50:00 AM

I'm having a little problem with the math here. 14 million people were dependent on analog, 6.5 million people still not ready and 47 million coupons sent out.

$19 billion received from private companies, $535 million in the 2009 budget for conversion and they still need another $650 million on top of that.

Does that mean that 7.5 million people received 47 million coupons. Did I forget to carry something over when dividing or misplace a decimal?

But then again this sounds about right for our government accounting practices.

\"The budget should be balanced; the treasury should be refilled; public debt should be reduced; and the arrogance of public officials should be controlled.\" -Cicero. 106-43 B.C.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: pitiful « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools