Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: will the new defensive style cause a decline in any of our players? « previous next »
Page: 1

s0uthFLbucfan

Starter

: February 09, 2009, 09:14:34 AM

i dont exactly know how the new scheme is suppose to work, but the player im most worried about is ruud. he is known as the "prototypical" tampa 2 backer. Is this new style going to lead to a decline in his play?

what do u guys think?

"We're going to be d--- good,"-
Kellen Winslow II. Novemeber 15, 2009

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#1 : February 09, 2009, 09:25:34 AM

Ruud is a significant enough of a blue chipper he can fit in multiple schemes. I recall when he was coming out of college he was even considered a good fit as a 3-4 inside linebacker. It was reported the Patriots were interested in him.

My bigger concern with Ruud is the "rookie wall" he's been hitting at the end of each season.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Pteranodon

Pro Bowler

#2 : February 09, 2009, 09:46:43 AM

Barber is at the top of that list. Ruud shouldn't be a problem.

watson

Hall of Famer
#3 : February 09, 2009, 10:11:39 AM

Barber and PBuc.  The new scheme calls for more man coverage and that is not a strong suit for them.  Don't see any of the current DTs being big enough.....except Sims....to be what Bates is going to want for his "clog the middle....force them outside" of DLine play.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

#4 : February 09, 2009, 10:19:34 AM

Barber and PBuc. The new scheme calls for more man coverage and that is not a strong suit for them. Don't see any of the current DTs being big enough.....except Sims....to be what Bates is going to want for his "clog the middle....force them outside" of DLine play.

Dre Moore may find a better fit in the Bates system...and Hovan should be right at home with the gap buster run stuffing only role he will recieve...along with a 300+ pound tackle next to him

Agreed though we have to get more physical on the DB level as we will be running more a jam bump and run defense

Pteranodon

Pro Bowler

#5 : February 09, 2009, 10:28:16 AM

Dre Moore may find a better fit in the Bates system...and Hovan should be right at home with the gap buster run stuffing only role he will recieve...along with a 300+ pound tackle next to him

Just because not expecting a pass rush really fits Hovan's game doesn't mean he's any good otherwise.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#6 : February 09, 2009, 10:53:19 AM

Ruud is a significant enough of a blue chipper he can fit in multiple schemes. I recall when he was coming out of college he was even considered a good fit as a 3-4 inside linebacker. It was reported the Patriots were interested in him.

My bigger concern with Ruud is the "rookie wall" he's been hitting at the end of each season.

Ruud's play does seem to have deteriorated at the end of the last two seasons however in this last season it coincided almost completely with the complete breakdown of the interior of the DL. With the DTs not even able to stand up the OL, Ruud was facing triple teams at times because the Guards and Center were getting to the 2nd level basically untouched.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

AlstottUpTheGut

Starter

#7 : February 09, 2009, 11:02:44 AM

Assuming Brooks is back, he is definitely not built for Bates' system which calls for the LBs to blitz often.

1. Donald
2. Bridgewater
3. Landry
5. Abbrederis
6. Lyerla

BuccanAy

Hall of Famer
#8 : February 09, 2009, 11:05:28 AM

Barber will struggle to get on the field in this new defense under Bates, IMO.  Two most important positions in FA are DT and CB.  How 'bout DeAngelo Hall?  Namdi would be 1st choice but doubt he gets out of Oakland.  Hall and Talib would be a formidable duo at CB.

s0uthFLbucfan

Starter

#9 : February 09, 2009, 11:17:53 AM

I think Talib will be a star next year no matter what. I think his rookie season was greatly underated. his only real bad play was in the first game of the season where he mistimed his jump. besides that hes been nothing short of amazing, cant wait to see him get on the field more.

i think we should go after springs or rogers from the skins. one of them is going into free agency i belive and they are both aggresive and experinced corners.

If the linebackers are going to blitz more, and we are not going to see brooks more. June should shift, and play his natural postion, which happens to be weakside, he made alot more plays in indy at that spot.

man if someone told me last year we would be talking about a defense without brooks or barber i would have told them they were an idiot... lol

"We're going to be d--- good,"-
Kellen Winslow II. Novemeber 15, 2009

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#10 : February 09, 2009, 11:13:30 AM

No way on Hall - talk about a guy you don't want to overpay. I think he's the only "name" guy the Skins will sign this offseason. They've deluded themselves into thinking he's changed. He's all rep.

I think Barber might have a bit of a resurgance as a blitzer, if we plan on being more aggressive. I'm not sure we'll see a total overhaul of the coverages right away.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#11 : February 09, 2009, 11:14:16 AM

Barber and PBuc. The new scheme calls for more man coverage and that is not a strong suit for them.

In theory, PBuc is actually more of a man coverage guy than a zone guy.  Granted, he's not exactly an elite player in any scheme, but it's not true that he's more of a zone guy.

michael89156

Hall of Famer

#12 : February 09, 2009, 09:00:01 PM

I would like to see Ronde replaced with a taller corner.....FA or draft.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: will the new defensive style cause a decline in any of our players? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools