Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will Caddy ever be an elite RB in this league? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#30 : January 19, 2007, 08:42:24 PM

New offensive line and a new coach and he could become a top 10 running back in the league. I am still not sold on him. When I think of elite backs I think of backs who can get it done with offensive line issues, and even running backs who can do it without a great QB.
  Don't have to spend too much time on that, it must be a damn short list.  Trying to think of one, and I can't at the moment.  An elite back whose offensive line has issues ...  nope, I can't think of one.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

bklynbucs11

Starter

#31 : January 19, 2007, 10:36:12 PM

Caddy as it stands is a top-10 RB in the NFL. Guys - you saw our games this yera. Someone made the point earlier - he has to break 2 trackes for a 0 yard gain. He's not Barry Sanders in the sense that he's gonna gamble and go reverse field. DEspite his quickness, he's a north-south runner.

Considering that we played by far the toughest defensive schedule in the NFL with an anemic offensive line (which should get better as the rookies improve, and AS WE GET A DAMN NEW OLINE COACH), Caddy wasn't all that bad. Its clear he was the sole focal point for every defense we faced - and its impossible to be good when thats the case. Every other 1000 yard+ back either has a good line/blocking in front or has other weapons on offense to take the pressure off. Caddy's got neither.

As it stands, Cadillac Williams is an above average starter in the NFL. I put him, if not top-10, then top 12. With a good line and a bit more patience (which he can't afford to have with our poor line), he WILL (not can, WILL) move into the top 5. Call me a homer, but I firmly believe that when LT's time is up, Caddy will emerge as a top-3 RB in the NFL.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#32 : January 19, 2007, 10:45:35 PM

He's not yet but will be.

The one thing that I notice is Caddy doesn't have an efficient running style. If you watch LT you'll notice there isn't any wasted movements, just crisp and decisive moves. Caddy's running style is a little sloppy right now. IMO

#33 : January 19, 2007, 11:11:36 PM

If the Bucs can't get an O line and have a passing game going, he never will be with the Bucs. IMO, the lack of a passing attack enabled defenses to focus on stopping Caddy, hence the low production

To some extent you're right that defenses were keying in on him more.  But I would add that Caddy is a slow starter and finishes strong.  All last year you could see Caddy never really started a game strong, but as the game progressed he ran stronger and broke more runs for longer gains.

He needs to be a 20+ carry per game back right now or he'll never progress into the status of elite.  As far as wasted moves, again that from what I saw was early in games or within the first 10 carries or so.  The good is that he is young enough that he might be able to improve on that.  The bad is it is a tendancy that teams will and continue to key in on now.

Bottom line: if Caddy can figure out how to start off strong and progress from there for the game, he'll be our elite back for years to come.

vladin

Starter

#34 : January 19, 2007, 11:55:28 PM

Honestly, I'm not interested in Caddy become an elite RB.  Can he become the back we need him to be in this system?  Forget becoming LT, can he become Brian Westbrook?

#35 : January 19, 2007, 11:58:20 PM

Caddy as it stands is a top-10 RB in the NFL.

I respectfully disagree with that statement. Right off the top of my head, I'd take Portis, LT, LJ, Deuce, Maroney, Steven Jackson, Rudi Johnson, Dunn, Westbrook, Gore, Parker, and Alexander(who i really don't like) over him.

Posted by: vlad
Honestly, I'm not interested in Caddy become an elite RB.  Can he become the back we need him to be in this system?  Forget becoming LT, can he become Brian Westbrook?

Westbrook? We could only wish.

#36 : January 20, 2007, 12:11:14 AM

He kinda reminds me of a Charlie Garner type of back and will only do about as much as he did
when it's all said and done, and unfortuneatly will have to retire after constant injuries in about
6-7 years because of his bruising style of running(it will take it's toll).

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#37 : January 20, 2007, 12:15:15 AM

And people want to know why I want Joe Thomas sooo bad....

#38 : January 20, 2007, 12:18:14 AM

I'm not sure a great line will make him all that much better, now had we drafted Steven Jackson when
we had the chance..............it wouldn't matter.

gharen

Pro Bowler

#39 : January 20, 2007, 01:01:47 PM

Caddy reminds me of a young OJ Anderson.

alstott40

Pro Bowler

#40 : January 20, 2007, 01:07:56 PM

sophmore slump!  he'll be back

nomeremortal

Pro Bowler

#41 : January 20, 2007, 01:16:11 PM

Will he? That's a good question. The Offense did regress this year and I don't believe you can completely blame that on Caddy. Having a Rookie QB start the majority of the season did not help him be successful. Now I have seen RB's be dominate even with a Rookie behind center... anyone remember how successful Bettis and the Steeler Running game was Big Ben's first year. What was the difference? The Steeler O-line is one of the best in the NFL. I don't think you can put the Bucs O-line in the same County. What I'm wondering is, why we drafted a guy who never really showed himself to be a reliable receiver out of the backfield "IN REAL GAME SITUATIONS" (not practices... totally different mindset in practices). Anyone remember Marquise Walker, who was drafted ahead of a certain Michael Westbrook... in the 3rd round?!?!?!? I believe Caddy can be an "Dominate" Rb but I'm not sure that Caddy fits the description for the kind of back we need in THIS OFFENSE. Grudens offense requires that his Rb's be able to do it all and Caddy only does half of it. Ultimately, Caddy's success will depend on what and how much we invest in an O-line this offseason. If we can plug some bona fide studs in the O-line then I believe he has the ability to be a "Dominate" not an "ELITE" RB ...ON RUNNING DOWNS. Unfortunately, he will never will be a FULLTIME BACK because of his inability to consistently catch the ball out of the backfield.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#42 : January 20, 2007, 01:34:51 PM

Caddy might have a Corey Dillon career arc more than a Tomlinson or Fault type arc becuase Dillion has, for most of his career, been a 1st and 2nd down back.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

umguy1999

Practice Squad

#43 : January 20, 2007, 01:48:51 PM

If in his prime Emmit Smith had our O-line the only hope he would have to get into the Hall of Fame was to buy a ticket. As for Caddy I think the jury is still out, he can't pass block and he has heavy hands, just like many many many of you keep harping about Simms not fitting into our system,, well Caddy doesn't either.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#44 : January 20, 2007, 02:26:07 PM

So when you say that Jackson is head and shoulders above caddy, do you think he would be the could with out one of the best LT in Pace and a solid RT in Barron not to mention that they have a top 15 QB in Bulger throwing to a top 5 WR I am sure if the Bucs had a top 5 WR, top 15 QB and to studs playing tackle Caddy would look just as good a s Jackson

Jackson had an incredible year this year with Pace on IR and STEUSSIE playing LOT

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will Caddy ever be an elite RB in this league? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools