Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Anyone here tried CrossFit? « previous next »
Page: 1

3paths

Starter

: February 10, 2009, 10:43:50 PM

I've been doing it since August. Great stuff. Unlike any other workout I've ever done.

Kodiak

Hall of Famer
#1 : February 10, 2009, 10:47:35 PM

I have done some of their workouts but at a lesser level as I am nowhere near in shape to do it full out. That stuff is intense. My best friend does Iron Man competitions and is a tri-athlete and just got out of the military. He swears by their workouts and is probably 8% body fat.

Whoa...shiver me ****in timbers!

3paths

Starter

#2 : February 11, 2009, 07:07:22 AM

It's pretty intense. After the first few workouts I was on the verge of throwing up and I have a few times.

Scholty

Pro Bowler

#3 : February 11, 2009, 09:42:21 AM

Where do you get your workouts from?  Do you do them by yourself or with others?

*******************************Luck happens when hard work meets opportunity.

3paths

Starter

#4 : February 12, 2009, 08:45:59 AM

Where do you get your workouts from? Do you do them by yourself or with others?
I workout down at body construction on Kennedy. We have all of our workouts posted on the forum there. It's http://www.bodyconstruction.org/forums. If you are interested I would recommend getting in with a group because it pushes you harder, it's more competitive, and it makes it more fun as well. Before I did Crossfit, I used to think my workouts were hard, now I kind of laugh about that.

Today's workout for instance was the following:
5 pullups
10 pushups
15 squats

As many rounds as you can in 20 minutes. I did 13. The best was 21 (freaky). So I ended up doing 65 pullups, 130 pushups and 195 squats in 20 minutes sucking air the whole time. This workout wasn't too bad compared to some.

3paths

Starter

#5 : February 12, 2009, 08:50:24 AM

If you push through them you
I have done some of their workouts but at a lesser level as I am nowhere near in shape to do it full out. That stuff is intense. My best friend does Iron Man competitions and is a tri-athlete and just got out of the military. He swears by their workouts and is probably 8% body fat.
If you push through them you get there. When I started (August 08) I weighed 302 and a 46 inch pants. I started the year off at 312, so I managed to lose 10lbs on my own. Since I'm down to a 38 and I weigh 265. I still have quite a ways to go, but I can probably out perform most men who are in "shape." My wife has been training with me as well since the beginning of the year and I have noticed a total change in her attitude. She doesn't really have to lose any weight, but she has never been real active so I wouldn't say she was in shape. Now it's pretty amazing to watch her go through the workouts. It just takes persistance.

original

Pro Bowler

#6 : February 12, 2009, 08:51:05 AM

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/start-how.html

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#7 : February 12, 2009, 09:18:46 AM

3paths - do you rest as needed?  is it basically continuous?  what do you do if you cant get to the 5 pullups after a few rounds?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

original

Pro Bowler

#8 : February 12, 2009, 05:43:39 PM

Congrats on the weight loss 3paths.

3paths

Starter

#9 : February 12, 2009, 10:17:53 PM

3paths - do you rest as needed?  is it basically continuous?  what do you do if you cant get to the 5 pullups after a few rounds?
Basically everyone who starts out, even people in great shape struggle at first. The workouts are modified so you can get going. So in the case of the pullups, you would do jumping pullups. In the case of the pushups you would do regular ones until you are burnt, and then do them off your knees and so on and so forth. That's the great thing about it, is that it can be modified to get you up to speed. The other beautiful thing is the workouts never become easy, because you are always after better results. I rest but very little. As most workouts are timed, I rest when I just can't push anymore, and then I push through the pain and discomfort and get going again. Roy's (my trainer)  whole mission is to get you out of your comfort zone. Besides the physical aspect there is a huge mental upside as well. It has really made a difference in my household! That's why I feel inclined to tell everyone I know about it.

Original, thank you. I still have a little ways to go, but I'm much further ahead of the game then I was when I started. It has truly been a lifestyle change, which is good because I have always battled the yo-yo syndrome. When I met my wife I was 225 with about 8-10% bodyfat. After we got together I immediately got lazy, which has traditionally been my problem. So I figured if I can get into shape, have it be a true lifestyle change and do it while married with kids, then I will finally break out of the yo-yo cycle. This has been the only thing that has worked in 5 years.

The one other thing I will add, is that Roy adds the zone diet as the eating piece, which should not be understated, because eating is 90% of the battle. The zone is cool because you get to eat nice size meals and it really makes sense. It's pretty much nuts, veggies, fruits, fish, lean meats and oils. Nothing processed. And it's always a healthy serving of each.

3paths

Starter

#10 : February 12, 2009, 10:47:26 PM

Here's my claim to fame on his website flipping the 500lb tire:

http://bodyconstruction.org/archive/2008/11/10/INTENSITY-The-Secret-Ingredient-For-Success

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#11 : February 13, 2009, 11:06:36 AM

dadgum, i checked out that gym a while back...never realized what it really was.  would have definitely loved/hated to join that up!

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

3paths

Starter

#12 : February 18, 2009, 11:39:26 AM

Woohoo, made it to Roy's blog again.

http://bodyconstruction.org/archive/2009/2/18/Every-Ab-Exercise-We-Do-Is-An-AB-Exercise

If any of you are interested in CrossFit or Roy's insight I would suggest signing up for his newsletter. He has great content a few days a week and there is an interesting read about his take on cardio.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Anyone here tried CrossFit? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools