Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will the BUCS franchise ANTONIO BRYANT? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

: February 14, 2009, 12:27:55 AM

Will the management team do this if the contract negotiations are not going as smoothly as desired?

If I were the GM, I would no doubt about it, slap him with the franchise tag if discussions are at an impasse.  I would feel they cannot afford to lose the only explosive player on the team (no offense to earnest Graham...I know he can rip off some big runs), and would almost be forced into this hand.

Hopefully, the Bucs lock him up for 5 years. 

You can always renogotiate as the season progresses... ;)

michael89156

Hall of Famer

#1 : February 14, 2009, 12:34:44 AM

I think they will.......only 6 more days I believe to franchise a player.

GMC 93

Hall of Famer

#2 : February 14, 2009, 12:37:12 AM

Will the management team do this if the contract negotiations are not going as smoothly as desired?

If I were the GM, I would no doubt about it, slap him with the franchise tag if discussions are at an impasse. I would feel they cannot afford to lose the only explosive player on the team (no offense to earnest Graham...I know he can rip off some big runs), and would almost be forced into this hand.

Hopefully, the Bucs lock him up for 5 years.

You can always renogotiate as the season progresses... ;)
The way I see it, we're going to end up franchising him, if we don't then that means they will most likely have a deal almost in place and sign him for and we will slap the tag on Penn IMO.

BucsNoles

Second String

#3 : February 14, 2009, 12:40:42 AM

I say to stay away from a one hit wonder and it costing a whole lot of money, you franchise him this year which I believe its 9 million for him and if he turns out to be stud then you offer a big time contract next year.  If he turns out to be a dud then we over paid about 5 million instead of 40 and then let him ride.

"Doesn't matter how you start but how you finish."

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#4 : February 14, 2009, 12:45:44 AM

I say to stay away from a one hit wonder and it costing a whole lot of money, you franchise him this year which I believe its 9 million for him and if he turns out to be stud then you offer a big time contract next year. If he turns out to be a dud then we over paid about 5 million instead of 40 and then let him ride.
I agre with your rationale, for the most part.

Thing is, Antonio is no dud.

michael89156

Hall of Famer

#5 : February 14, 2009, 12:48:11 AM

And you take the chance of p___ing him off if you franchise him, and he never signs long term.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#6 : February 14, 2009, 12:59:01 AM

Gonna be an interesting scenario.

Hope the BUCS resign Antonio.  With him in the lineup, the BUcs have a stud wideout for at least three more years...IMO...

ryanbuc1

Practice Squad

#7 : February 14, 2009, 01:03:43 AM

Bryant has not made public any disdain about a franchise tag (a la Penn with a tender).  He has made it well known he would like to be back, so I am not sure that the franchise tag would piss him off, unless he got the impression we did not intend to sign him long term.

bucs1

Practice Squad
#8 : February 14, 2009, 01:06:45 AM

They better get a contract worked out in the next few days or else the Bucs WILL franchise Bryant. They can't afford to lose him.

ryanbuc1

Practice Squad

#9 : February 14, 2009, 01:08:06 AM

Does the rule still apply that if we franchise him, and then sign him long term during the season, that we cannot use the franchise tag the length of the contract, a la McKay and his handling of Ahanotu?

CAROLINABUC

Starter

#10 : February 14, 2009, 01:11:18 AM

Bryant will probably get a four year contract but the last thing you want to do is franchise a man who is just back in the league. He wants money and he want it now

Losing is not a option

ryanbuc1

Practice Squad

#11 : February 14, 2009, 01:13:27 AM

Bryant will probably get a four year contract but the last thing you want to do is franchise a man who is just back in the league. He wants money and he want it now

If you think he wants money, just wait until Big Al lets loose with his demands.

BucsNoles

Second String

#12 : February 14, 2009, 01:13:53 AM

Wish list.... AB back and Larry Johnson suited up in Pewter and Red.

"Doesn't matter how you start but how you finish."

michael89156

Hall of Famer

#13 : February 14, 2009, 01:14:27 AM

I dont think I ever heard a player say............Man I sure hope they franchise me !    Players hate it.

ryanbuc1

Practice Squad

#14 : February 14, 2009, 01:15:35 AM

Matt Cassel isn't hating it too much right now.  He might if he gets stuck behind Brady, but right now he's living it up.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will the BUCS franchise ANTONIO BRYANT? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools