Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BREAKING: JAGODZINSKI DISCUSSES BUCS OFFENSE « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 10

PewterReportSR

Hall of Famer
: February 17, 2009, 01:06:47 PM

Stay tuned for some in-depth stories on Jeff Jagodzinski's offensive approach on PewterReport.com, but in the meanwhile, here's the low down on what he had to say to the media:

• Jags, who will coach from the press box, runs a version of the West Coast Offense with a running game based on the zone blocking scheme. He wants to run downhill with lead zone with Bucs' big, physical O-line. Thinks the O-line is a strong point of the offense. Will go vertical and take some shots downfield when they are available.

• Jags likes the zone blocking scheme because it limits negative yardage plays. He loves Earnest Graham's running style because "he is always gaining yardage." Jags did say that the Bucs will run some man blocking schemes in the power game with some guard pulls on occasion.

• Jags likes Warrick Dunn and noted that he was a Pro Bowler in Atlanta with him, but he spent much more time talking about Earnest Graham.

• He likes BJ Askew and says that "he fits in real well" with what he wants to do at FB.

• Jags mentioned Clifton Smith and said that he will use him in the passing game in a lot of 1-on-1 situations. "He has a lot of the shakes."

• Red zone philosophy is "Touchdown, then checkdown." Jags wants to take shots into the end zone first and then check down as the last resort. He only cares about winning and not stats. He said he only cares about scoring one more point than the other team.

• Jags said the Bucs will use the tight ends "a bunch" in the passing game. He has coached Bubba Franks, Mark Chmura and Alge Crumpler in the past and will look for favorable matchups in the passing game with Bucs TEs and "get those guys the ball."

• Jags' biggest coaching influences were Steve Logan, Jim Mora and Mike McCarthy.

• Jags likes the Bucs' WR corps, singling out Antonio Bryant. He said that he could get Bryant and Joey Galloway on the field together. "We can get anybody to play together."

• When asked about Cadillac Williams, Jags said with the injury, his status is up in the air. But he also said, "Everybody wants to drive a Cadillac, don't they?" He would love to have him back if healthy.

• Jags plans on bringing four QBs to camp. On Luke McCown, he liked the way he moved around and that he is young and hasn't played. He said that he is not "beat up" and meant that he has not been too beat up by the NFL yet and didn't have a lot of mileage. Sometimes young QBs can get shell-shocked and that Luke has avoided that. Jags is not a big guy on stats when it comes to QBs. A QB's job to Jags is to win and put the ball in the end zone.

• Jags noted that Brian Griese is smart when it came to knowing protection schemes. He didn't have much to say about Josh Johnson because there was not much film on him.

• Jags' offense will be "player-friendly" and that it limits terminology. This sounds like a stark contrast to Jon Gruden's heavy verbiage. Jags said his offense is easy to learn.

• Jags said the offense will be very diverse and will look for favorable matchups and exploit them. His QBs will use a combination of 3, 5 and 7-step drops.

• Jags' coaching philosophy: "I don't coach not to lose. I coach to win."

FartMan

Pro Bowler
#1 : February 17, 2009, 01:10:26 PM

Makes me sad that the season is 6 months away.

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
#2 : February 17, 2009, 01:12:12 PM

• Jags' coaching philosophy: "I don't coach not to lose. I coach to win."

LOVE to hear that!!!!

rocko23

Hall of Famer
#3 : February 17, 2009, 01:13:27 PM

wow

bucpimpin

Pro Bowler
#4 : February 17, 2009, 01:15:43 PM

• Jags, who will coach from the press box, runs a version of the West Coast Offense

[banghead] [banghead] [banghead] [banghead] [banghead] [banghead] [banghead]

BucsPirate

Pro Bowler

#5 : February 17, 2009, 01:19:43 PM

• Jags, who will coach from the press box, runs a version of the West Coast Offense

[banghead] [banghead] [banghead] [banghead] [banghead] [banghead] [banghead]

Tell me a zone blocking team that doesn't?

I really hope this team focuses on the RB stable, because with the young QB's it is going to be a long season for the offense if we can't run the ball.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#6 : February 17, 2009, 01:21:06 PM

Music to my ears!

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#7 : February 17, 2009, 01:33:38 PM

• Jags likes the Bucs' WR corps, singling out Antonio Bryant. He said that he could get Bryant and Joey Galloway on the field together. "We can get anybody to play together."

No, no, no, no, no we all know that can't be done.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

MVP

Pro Bowler

#8 : February 17, 2009, 01:39:30 PM

Jags sounds hardcore.

BuccanAy

Hall of Famer
#9 : February 17, 2009, 01:42:40 PM

ATTACK!!!

original

Pro Bowler

#10 : February 17, 2009, 01:50:14 PM

I like what I see so far.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#11 : February 17, 2009, 01:52:30 PM

Great words, anxious to see the product...

PewterReportSR

Hall of Famer
#12 : February 17, 2009, 01:53:33 PM

If I could sum up what I think of Jeff Jagodzinski based on my first impression of him is that he is the "anti-Gruden" in a lot of respects in a positive way. That's not a knock on Gruden, but Jags' approach will really appeal to the players and fans I think. Of course, this is simply a press conference. We'll see if actions back up those words come Sundays this Fall.

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#13 : February 17, 2009, 01:53:39 PM

Im excited about the new offense. Sounds like it wont be so complicated. Take the points where you can get em. Maybe something Gruden overanalyzed.

NavyBuc19

Hall of Famer
#14 : February 17, 2009, 01:56:24 PM

Jags mentioned Clifton Smith and said that he will use him in the passing game in a lot of 1-on-1 situations. "He has a lot of the shakes."

^ That will be dangerous. If we set up Smith in some screens, I cant even imagine what he will do when he breaks the open field. The kid is a straight baller when it comes to threading through defenses and STs. He will be so critical to the success of our season that nobody will realize it.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BREAKING: JAGODZINSKI DISCUSSES BUCS OFFENSE « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools