Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is it possible? 3 for 1 and a little bit PLAN A « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
: February 19, 2009, 08:01:41 AM

With Big Al looking to literally break the bank, how about Bernard, Peppers and Olshansky for just a little more?

Is it possible?

Also see Plan B

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

#1 : February 19, 2009, 08:05:26 AM

Peppers is gonna cost as much or maybe a little more than AL

Both will be fighting to see who is the most expensive DL this year

Plus the day isnt over he still could get franchised

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#2 : February 19, 2009, 08:30:13 AM

i like the thinking.  we all like haynesworth's ability, but when taking ALL things into consideration, he might not be the best move.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#3 : February 19, 2009, 08:31:16 AM

Bernard and Olshansky - that is a great upgrade...

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Bucsman90

Rookie
#4 : February 19, 2009, 08:34:44 AM

Way smarter to spread the wealth then to spend the wealth all on one guy who is just going to put it on cruise control once he gets his money.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#5 : February 19, 2009, 08:41:09 AM

dbuc,

Bernard is better than Haye and Olshansky is better than Carter (if we don't get Peppers- or better than June if we do get Peppers. IIRC, there were quite a few beating the drum for Bernard in the past. One site has Bernard in the top 3 FA at his position-was rated 4 star.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#6 : February 19, 2009, 08:48:00 AM

Improving has degrees - both Bernard and Olshansky would be great steps up - for decent pricing I would think.  The big move everyone wants is Haynesworth - who is a game changer - who brings a set of concerns folks have covered repeatedly.

I would like Bernard and Olshansky bc that permits the team to move on other positions of need (I still have the Harvin infatuation)

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

jeanclaudtransam

Starter

#7 : February 19, 2009, 08:48:22 AM

Everyone seems to have this Haynesworth or Peppers mentality. Many don't realize that Peppers will require more compensation than just a new contract. It'll take our first round pick at least, maybe more. Haynesworth is a guaranteed upgrade at our most critical, most needed position. He's the best player at his position in the league. And we will keep all of our picks in acquiring him.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#8 : February 19, 2009, 08:54:12 AM

dbuc,

"The big move everyone wants is Haynesworth".

Not everyone. There are many of us who don't want him.

Don't try to pass "absolutes" past me. :)

#9 : February 19, 2009, 08:56:17 AM

Way smarter to spread the wealth then to spend the wealth all on one guy who is just going to put it on cruise control once he gets his money.

Doc Brown how do the Bucs look in 2009?

Since you know that Haynesworth will shut it down in the future you must have a smokin time machine

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#10 : February 19, 2009, 08:56:40 AM

Haynesworth is a very expensive solution to a huge problem - who brings he own set of past issues with him - there are some warnings that come with him no doubt.

But to say he is the only solution or move to improving is simply silly - of course others can do well - and improve the team, and balancing the costs for team improvement is the role of the GM and HC.

#11 : February 19, 2009, 08:59:57 AM

Haynesworth is a very expensive solution to a huge problem - who brings he own set of past issues with him - there are some warnings that come with him no doubt.

But to say he is the only solution or move to improving is simply silly - of course others can do well - and improve the team, and balancing the costs for team improvement is the role of the GM and HC.

If Raji was there for us at 19 or if we were seriously thinking about trading up to get him I would see how Haynesworth would be an option not a necessity

However Raji's stock has shot up so much NFL Network just recetly predicted Seatle may forgo Crabtree and take him...so thats out of the question

#12 : February 19, 2009, 09:41:47 AM

dbuc,

"The big move everyone wants is Haynesworth".

Not everyone. There are many of us who don't want him.

Don't try to pass "absolutes" past me. :)

Unc, he's the best player available at one of our most needed positions. I WANT him here and we can't continue shopping at the thrift shop.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#13 : February 19, 2009, 11:38:41 AM

Hate,

We may have to, if we pay him what is reported to be what he wants. It would take a huge chunk out of the cap for every year he is here.

However, if its incentive driven and we are protected from his "mistakes", I might agree with his signing.

I said might.

Like my 3 for 1 better over the long haul.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#14 : February 19, 2009, 11:41:13 AM

Conceptually, I like it US.

But that said, I think you are understating what "a little more" might be for the extras. Peppers will probably cost just as much as AH and maybe more.  I don't think Bernard or Olshansky are going to be exactly cheap either.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is it possible? 3 for 1 and a little bit PLAN A « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools