Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Price of Mexico « previous next »
Page: 1 2

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

: January 21, 2007, 12:05:21 PM

Since folks ave asked about cutting The Perp with the Herp, from PFT:

So here we go.  Refresher course.  For you, and for us.

Trading Vick before June 1, 2007 would trigger a mind-numbing cap charge of $22.25 million.  The dead money, factoring in the $6 million salary Vick wouldn't be paid in 2007, would be $16.25 million.

However, if the Falcons were to make the move after June 1, the cap charge for 2007 would drop to $7.57 million.  And because the Falcons would be avoiding Vick's $6 million salary and carrying $7.57 million in bonus charges that would be there even if he is still on the team, the Falcons would actually free up $6 million in 2007 cap space.

Under this scenario, the problem would arise in 2008, when the Falcons would be hit with $14.68 million in cap charges.  But the Falcons would avoid his $7.5 million salary.  So the dead money would be only $7.18 million.

The Falcons also could dump Vick before June 1, 2007, and process the cap hit as if he were cut after June 1, which is one of the tweaks of the new CBA.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

#1 : January 21, 2007, 12:25:19 PM

I personally hope that Atlanta keeps him.  Because they would have to keep paying him, and most likely would keep Matt Schaub (sp?) on the bench, who IMO IS their better QB.

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#2 : January 21, 2007, 12:27:53 PM

It wont matter... they will still ALWAYS be the Falcons.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 21, 2007, 12:32:13 PM

Damn, that's big money.    You might be able to buy the entire country of Mexico for less than that.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 21, 2007, 12:33:58 PM

It's a possibility, there's no doubt about that.

Mohawkbucs

Starter

#5 : January 21, 2007, 12:53:01 PM

well with that in mind, i would say its still a possibilty, although still very slim

#6 : January 21, 2007, 01:10:30 PM

I personally hope that Atlanta keeps him.  Because they would have to keep paying him, and most likely would keep Matt Schaub (sp?) on the bench, who IMO IS their better QB.

Oh, it's better than that. They can't keep Schaub on the bench. They either play him or he'll move on. If they play him there'll be a huge controversy, if not they'll have no decent backup when Vick craps out. Best scenario: Vick starts, Schaub leaves and it takes the Falcons three or four years to figure out that maybe the coach isn't the main problem.

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

#7 : January 21, 2007, 01:20:50 PM

Since folks ave asked about cutting The Perp with the Herp, from PFT:

So here we go. Refresher course. For you, and for us.

Trading Vick before June 1, 2007 would trigger a mind-numbing cap charge of $22.25 million. The dead money, factoring in the $6 million salary Vick wouldn't be paid in 2007, would be $16.25 million.

However, if the Falcons were to make the move after June 1, the cap charge for 2007 would drop to $7.57 million. And because the Falcons would be avoiding Vick's $6 million salary and carrying $7.57 million in bonus charges that would be there even if he is still on the team, the Falcons would actually free up $6 million in 2007 cap space.

Under this scenario, the problem would arise in 2008, when the Falcons would be hit with $14.68 million in cap charges. But the Falcons would avoid his $7.5 million salary. So the dead money would be only $7.18 million.

The Falcons also could dump Vick before June 1, 2007, and process the cap hit as if he were cut after June 1, which is one of the tweaks of the new CBA.

I posted a similar scenario to the after the June 1st cut and was told by a poster that the new CBA from last year no longer allows you to spread the hit. I proposed the 1/2 now and 1/2 later as it used to be. From what you post dal and I know it is a quote of another source. Is the new rule 1/3rd after June 1st and the rest of the 2/3rds in the next capped season?

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#8 : January 21, 2007, 01:23:50 PM

That PFT math problem is messed up. They are looking at it as whether Vick is still on the team in 2008 vs. not.   But they should be looking at what happens if Vick is cut before June 1st vs. After June 1st. 

I see what they are saying.  The main thing they are saying how the cap hit is only $7+ million more for not having him on the team as compared to if he stayed on the team and they paid him his base salary.

But that doesn't really show the pros and cons of taking the cap hit before June 1st compared to after June 1st. 

If you take a ($22+ mil -$6 mil = about...) $16 mil cap hit this year, they will get about $14 mil of cap relief in 2008 for not paying any of Vicks bonus or base salary in 2008.  Thats just another way to look at it.

If I'm the Falcons I take the hit in 2007, clear the books, and give the new coach something to look forward to cap wise, rather than having that big cap hit hanging overhead for next year.

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#9 : January 21, 2007, 01:33:12 PM

What if Schaub just leaves this year and we take him? He and Simms are mid 20' so we won't have a "short term" answer... Thoughts?

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#10 : January 21, 2007, 01:27:27 PM

Still remains a possibility, but that's a huge pill to swallow. If the team performs better without him, than it's a necessary evil but there's no guarantee. My guess is they'll give Petrino a year to figure out how to use Vick and make a decision next year.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#11 : January 21, 2007, 01:41:40 PM

What if Schaub just leaves this year and we take him? He and Simms are mid 20' so we won't have a "short term" answer... Thoughts?
Shaub is a restricted free agent. That means the Falcons get to match any contract offer, and if they decide not to match it we have to give them draft picks.  We won't know what draft picks until Atlanta puts in their qualifying offer to Shaub.  They certainly will put in a big one if they truly want to get rid of Vick.  So its likely to cost us a first rounder, which even if we trade for a later first rounder to use for that purpose its a steep price.

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#12 : January 21, 2007, 01:47:17 PM

Shaub is a restricted free agent. That means the Falcons get to match any contract offer, and if they decide not to match it we have to give them draft picks. We won't know what draft picks until Atlanta puts in their qualifying offer to Shaub. They certainly will put in a big one if they truly want to get rid of Vick. So its likely to cost us a first rounder, which even if we trade for a later first rounder to use for that purpose its a steep price.

Don't you think Schaub will be miserable? He'll definitely want out. I think either he or Vick gets the boot this off season...

#13 : January 21, 2007, 02:12:02 PM

dead money vs dead weight

oldbucfan

Second String
#14 : January 21, 2007, 02:28:08 PM

With mcKay as the GM I'm sure the cap problem will start before they have to deal withh the Vic problem.  :D

OLD BUC FAN
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Price of Mexico « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools