Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Niners give Alex Smith until March 16th to restructure « previous next »
Page: 1

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: February 26, 2009, 08:33:44 PM

USATODAY ONLINE

-- The start of the 49ers' first offseason workout on March 16 is the de facto deadline for Alex Smith to rework his contract with the team, the Santa Rosa Press-Democrat reports.

GM Scot McCloughan wouldn't pinpoint a date, but the paper reports the 49ers won't risk allowing Smith on the field under his current deal and then becoming liable for the salary if he is hurt.

The 49ers said last week they hope to have a QB competition between Smith and Shaun Hill in training camp. But McCloughan wouldn't predict Smith will return.

"I'm not comfortable enough until it's signed on the paper," McCloughan said. "I need to make sure we have quality depth. ...  For us to ask him to restructure is a shock. To take a pay cut, it's a blow to the ego. We're trying to do what's best for organization."

michael89156

Hall of Famer

#1 : February 26, 2009, 08:34:23 PM

I think Garcia might end up there.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Niners give Alex Smith until March 16th to restructure « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools