Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: History...blah, blah, blah « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 13

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#15 : January 21, 2007, 11:32:42 PM

just because myself, like most, dont give a crap about whether the coaches are black, white or pink, dont get upset. It's called difference of opinion... Lean over, nudge your mother, make her explain it to ya.

#16 : January 21, 2007, 11:33:41 PM

Just helpin the clueless spot the obvious! Call me ESPN!
LOL

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#17 : January 21, 2007, 11:34:10 PM

Both Dungy and Lovie spoke about the significance of their wins with regard to their
African American heritage. They "get it."

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#18 : January 21, 2007, 11:35:27 PM

and if belichick talks about how white he is what happens?

dr3z

Hall of Famer

#19 : January 21, 2007, 11:36:26 PM

Explain what? How its the first time, a Black head coach take a team to the SB and you dont think its news. ok.

just because myself, like most, dont give a crap about whether the coaches are black, white or pink, dont get upset. It's called difference of opinion... Lean over, nudge your mother, make her explain it to ya.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#20 : January 21, 2007, 11:36:57 PM

Who's getting upset? The two men involved know what this means for black folks.
Anybody who misses that point is living in a dream world where racism doesn't
exist. Since it still exists in a very big way, you'll continue to see achievements
like this pointed out.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#21 : January 21, 2007, 11:38:29 PM

Belichek didn't have to deal with the racism within the NFL. So his speaking
of his whiteness wouldn't be relevant. Got it?

dr3z

Hall of Famer

#22 : January 21, 2007, 11:38:47 PM

Ok............................I asked my mommy and shes says your a dumbass...............................

escobar

Hall of Famer

#23 : January 21, 2007, 11:51:31 PM

African Americans make up around 13 percent of our society, they make up around 19 percent of the head coaches in the NFL. I am sick and damn tired of hearing this argument about black head coaches. For every black head coach there is, there are literally THOUSANDS more white head coaches. You mean to tell me that these black head coaches deserve a head coaching job because they are black? Based on numbers alone the chances lean very heavily towards a white head coach being more qualified to coach an NFL team than a black head coach for no other reason than the number of whites to blacks. It's not racism, it's freaking facts. If you put 100,000 coaches into ann arbor stadium and made it 77% white (the percentage of American's who are white), and 13% black(the percentage of Americans who are black) and was asked if you had to guess which race represented the single most qualified coach sitting in the entire stadium, you would almost have to guess white by default. Not because of any other reason than the number of whites FAR outnumbers the number of blacks.

But when a black coach gets passed up for a job, or fired in favor of a white coach it's ALWAYS labeled racism. On Stephen A. Smith's show a few months ago his panel for the night discussed this very question. He had two black women and one white guy debating the topic. Both of the black women kept blabbing about black men needing a chance and that the Rooney rule was very appropriate. I found it pretty damn funny that they kept saying BLACKS need the chance. It wasn't MINORITIES need the chance, it was blacks. Because as everyone should be aware by now, when America talks about minorities what they really mean is blacks. If NFL teams met the Rooney rule requirement by interviewing a mexican candidate, or an australian candidate (both minorities in the US) you would have every black "leader" like Sharpton and Jackson blabbing to the media that something needs to be done to fix "problem". The whole thing is an absolute joke.

As I said before, the number of black head coaches in the NFL not only meets but exceeds their population percentage in society, but let's not let facts get in the way. People like Sharpton (and anyone else in favor of handing things to people based on the color of their skin) won't be happy until it's an ALL black NFL, and that is the bottom line.

dr3z

Hall of Famer

#24 : January 21, 2007, 11:55:12 PM

Yo tell em!! Buddy! LOL!

African Americans make up around 13 percent of our society, they make up around 19 percent of the head coaches in the NFL. I am sick and damn tired of hearing this argument about black head coaches. For every black head coach there is, there are literally THOUSANDS more white head coaches. You mean to tell me that these black head coaches deserve a head coaching job because they are black? Based on numbers alone the chances lean very heavily towards a white head coach being more qualified to coach an NFL team than a black head coach for no other reason than the number of whites to blacks. It's not racism, it's freaking facts. If you put 100,000 coaches into ann arbor stadium and made it 77% white (the percentage of American's who are white), and 13% black(the percentage of Americans who are black) and was asked if you had to guess which race represented the single most qualified coach sitting in the entire stadium, you would almost have to guess white by default. Not because of any other reason than the number of whites FAR outnumbers the number of blacks.

But when a black coach gets passed up for a job, or fired in favor of a white coach it's ALWAYS labeled racism. On Stephen A. Smith's show a few months ago his panel for the night discussed this very question. He had two black women and one white guy debating the topic. Both of the black women kept blabbing about black men needing a chance and that the Rooney rule was very appropriate. I found it pretty damn funny that they kept saying BLACKS need the chance. It wasn't MINORITIES need the chance, it was blacks. Because as everyone should be aware by now, when America talks about minorities what they really mean is blacks. If NFL teams met the Rooney rule requirement by interviewing a mexican candidate, or an australian candidate (both minorities in the US) you would have every black "leader" like Sharpton and Jackson blabbing to the media that something needs to be done to fix "problem". The whole thing is an absolute joke.

As I said before, the number of black head coaches in the NFL not only meets but exceeds their population percentage in society, but let's not let facts get in the way. People like Sharpton (and anyone else in favor of handing things to people based on the color of their skin) won't be happy until it's an ALL black NFL, and that is the bottom line.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#25 : January 22, 2007, 12:06:36 AM

Black head coaches are 19% of coaches?  That's not pertinent to blacks being 13% of the population. What % of the NFL is black? Cuz it's waay more than 19%. Probably closer to 70%---players not coaches.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#26 : January 22, 2007, 12:16:11 AM

Hey Escobar, how many players in the NFL are black? You think the head coaches'
should come from the players who have played in the NFL before? Yes? So your
comparison of the percentage of white/black people there are in society should
really be the percentage of blacks there are playing the game.

By the way, for the longest time, there were NO head coaches in the NFL. Were
you okay with that?

You're true colors are showing here because what I was pointing out that this
current achievement of Lovie and Dungy is something that is noteworthy. That's
all. The only reason the past was brought up was to debate the claim that
this is not a big deal and shouldn't be mentioned by the press or by the
men (L&D) involved.

Nobody here is saying a black coach should be given a job if he's not qualified.

BTW, since we're here, here's a little history on blacks in the league...

From Wikipedia...

A few blacks played, and even starred for professional football teams in the American Professional Football Association and other early leagues as well as the APFA's successor, the NFL. But shortly after the entry of George Preston Marshall to the league in 1932 as owner of the Boston Braves/Washington Redskins franchise, blacks disappeared from NFL rosters. In the mid-1940's, following the lead of the All-America Football Conference, a few NFL teams signed blacks as individuals, but there were no blacks included in the NFL college draft until 1949. Though five blacks were on the draft list, the first of those to actually play NFL football was Wally Triplett, a halfback from Penn State who played for the Detroit Lions and the Chicago Bears. In those years, black players who did manage to make NFL rosters were subject to unwritten but stringent "quotas" for the number of black players on a team and the positions that could be filled by blacks. At that time, there were no black quarterbacks, centers, or middle linebackers in the NFL. One source of talent that had been traditionally ignored by the NFL was small, historically black colleges.

So, with that history, it's no wonder that the Lovie & Dungy story is getting some play
in the media.

gharen

Pro Bowler

#27 : January 22, 2007, 12:22:49 AM

So if black coaches can argue that there are not enough black head coaches can white players argue that there are not enough white players?
If Dan Marino had said it's great that the 2 teams in the Super Bowl have starting white tailbacks he would be fired tomorrow, but that's pretty much what Sharpe said about two black coaches in the Super Bowl.

Mohawkbucs

Starter

#28 : January 22, 2007, 12:23:54 AM

i could care less about the color there skin, but everytime a minority does something they get a parade and a key to the city, whoopee

why do we have to look at color? the people that keep pointing these things out are the ones keeping people being racist

escobar

Hall of Famer

#29 : January 22, 2007, 12:39:25 AM

Hey Escobar, how many players in the NFL are black? You think the head coaches'
should come from the players who have played in the NFL before? Yes? So your
comparison of the percentage of white/black people there are in society should
really be the percentage of blacks there are playing the game.

By the way, for the longest time, there were NO head coaches in the NFL. Were
you okay with that?

You're true colors are showing here because what I was pointing out that this
current achievement of Lovie and Dungy is something that is noteworthy. That's
all. The only reason the past was brought up was to debate the claim that
this is not a big deal and shouldn't be mentioned by the press or by the
men (L&D) involved.

Nobody here is saying a black coach should be given a job if he's not qualified.

BTW, since we're here, here's a little history on blacks in the league...

From Wikipedia...

A few blacks played, and even starred for professional football teams in the American Professional Football Association and other early leagues as well as the APFA's successor, the NFL. But shortly after the entry of George Preston Marshall to the league in 1932 as owner of the Boston Braves/Washington Redskins franchise, blacks disappeared from NFL rosters. In the mid-1940's, following the lead of the All-America Football Conference, a few NFL teams signed blacks as individuals, but there were no blacks included in the NFL college draft until 1949. Though five blacks were on the draft list, the first of those to actually play NFL football was Wally Triplett, a halfback from Penn State who played for the Detroit Lions and the Chicago Bears. In those years, black players who did manage to make NFL rosters were subject to unwritten but stringent "quotas" for the number of black players on a team and the positions that could be filled by blacks. At that time, there were no black quarterbacks, centers, or middle linebackers in the NFL. One source of talent that had been traditionally ignored by the NFL was small, historically black colleges.

So, with that history, it's no wonder that the Lovie & Dungy story is getting some play
in the media.

My true colors are showing? AKA I don't agree with a black policy so I must be racist. What a perfect example of just how easily a white man can be labeled a racist in todays society. Did you ever think that I just want people to earn what they get? A policy FORCING a team to interview a man simply because that man is black is assanine. Just as assanine as AA, but that's an entirely different argument.

Do I want coaches to be former players? I don't know, but don't assume my answer is yes and then build the rest of your post from that. I want the best qualified coach, I don't care if it was a former player or if it is Brittany Spears' agent's second cousins dog groomer. That's what you don't seem to be understanding.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 13
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: History...blah, blah, blah « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools