Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Uncapped Year? « previous next »
Page: 1

psymun

Starter
: February 26, 2009, 10:30:54 PM

Is it a definite that we'll have an uncapped year next year?

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#1 : February 26, 2009, 10:38:32 PM

I don't think its definite - but unless a miracle happens and the Union gets their head out of their collective arses it will.

The owners want this - because under the NFL rules, unrestricted free agency wouldn't start until SIX years of time in the league instead of four and while there wouldn't be a salary cap ceiling, there also won't be a salary cap floor, meaning teams like the Bucs who are well under the current cap wouldn't be forced to spend to a floor - like the Bucs are forced to do this year and they can keep their costs low.

Personally, I hate the idea of the NFL not having a salary cap - I'm afraid of the inequity between the have's and the have not's like baseball.

swashbuccaler

Hall of Famer

#2 : February 26, 2009, 10:38:53 PM

No. It is scheduled that way, but there is going to be upcoming meeting between the league and the player association to decide if the collective bargaining agreement should be extended.

Suh or bust, Dom. You make the call.

psymun

Starter
#3 : February 27, 2009, 02:57:21 AM

No. It is scheduled that way, but there is going to be upcoming meeting between the league and the player association to decide if the collective bargaining agreement should be extended.

The reason I ask this is because if the CBA is extended with a new salary cap, that could cause problems with rollover, wouldn't it?

The 2009 salary cap for teams that do not have any cap rollover is now $127 million. The Bucs have $21.6 million in extra cap room from most other teams because of the rollover from 2008.

If that's the case, and for arguments sake, they use all $21.6 Million this year, doesn't that dig them into a $21.6 Million hole to add to the increase in salaries due to contracts?

So say the 2010 salary cap becomes $140 Mil, wouldn't that put the Bucs $8.6 Mil over? Theoretically...

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#4 : February 27, 2009, 02:59:48 AM

The last thing the NFL needs is to become the MLB.

With only a few big market teams in the hunt every year, it would rapidly become a practice of patience in watching the NFL.

I am sure the prima donna's would slowly start filtering away, but that is the only positive I can gather.

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#5 : February 27, 2009, 03:23:26 AM

The last thing the NFL needs is to become the MLB.

With only a few big market teams in the hunt every year, it would rapidly become a practice of patience in watching the NFL.

I am sure the prima donna's would slowly start filtering away, but that is the only positive I can gather.
You will also get the teams that don't want to spend any money.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#6 : February 27, 2009, 03:34:01 AM

Biggest change is that a player has to be in the league for 6 years before he can be a free agent.

Also the teams that advance to the Divisional Round of the playoffs are restricted in how many free agents they can sign the following year.

Bucs_Rule

Hall of Famer
#7 : February 27, 2009, 03:41:21 AM

I think if the players really thought about it, a uncapped year and no extension of the current CBA does not work in their favor. Just think about it. All the good young players wouldn't be FA until after six years so the FA class of next year would be just plain horrible.

psymun

Starter
#8 : February 27, 2009, 03:43:36 AM

Ok, I'm not getting an answer... Does anyone know the answer?

If the CBA is extended with a new salary cap, that could cause problems with rollover, wouldn't it?

The 2009 salary cap for teams that do not have any cap rollover is now $127 million. The Bucs have $21.6 million in extra cap room from most other teams because of the rollover from 2008.

If that's the case, and for arguments sake, they use all $21.6 Million this year, doesn't that dig them into a $21.6 Million hole to add to the increase in salaries due to contracts?

So say the 2010 salary cap becomes $140 Mil, wouldn't that put the Bucs $8.6 Mil over? Theoretically...

Bucs_Rule

Hall of Famer
#9 : February 27, 2009, 04:03:50 AM

If the CBA is extended with a new salary cap, that could cause problems with rollover, wouldn't it?

No it doesn't because the bucs are $64 million under the cap right now and the extra cap space that the Bucs had was from LTBE incentives from last year. Unless the bucs go crazy in FA there is almost no way they would ever be over the cap next year.

psymun

Starter
#10 : February 27, 2009, 04:37:10 AM

No it doesn't because the bucs are $64 million under the cap right now and the extra cap space that the Bucs had was from LTBE incentives from last year. Unless the bucs go crazy in FA there is almost no way they would ever be over the cap next year.

So what you're basically saying is that the held over cap is useless regardless...

If you have it, and you use it, you're over the cap for next year....

Or, in the Buc's case, as you've stated, they won't even get a chance to use it... so it goes to waste... I doubt you can rollover rollover money... otherwise there would be an endless cap...

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Uncapped Year? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools