Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lets air this out right now.... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

O.S. Buc76

Hall of Famer

#30 : February 28, 2009, 12:25:29 AM

I think this is why we should want Derrick Ward!

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#31 : February 28, 2009, 12:29:39 AM

If he continues to smash the Panthers like he did last year, I don't care if we give him 15 million and only play him twice a year.  200 yards on 15 carries is insane.

That said, running backs are a dime a dozen.  The elite ones are a little tricky to come by, but many-a Superbowl winning squads have featured an above-average running back.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#32 : February 28, 2009, 12:30:53 AM

I agree, PoorRichard. Bush has proven little. Ward's lack of carries aren't necessarily an indication of a lack of talent. Many of you cried for two years over Earnest Graham. When he got a chance what did he do? He ran well. Now was it a case of improving or simply having to wait for a chance? We'll never really know the answer to that.
Ward was behind Tiki Barber on the Giants depth chart after being cut by the Jets. He was a Fresno State, seventh rounder, hardly an obvious guy to give the ball to.
So he only got 35 carries in three years. Then look at what happened when they gave it to him in 2007.
602 yards rushing in only eight games played (five starts) for a nice 4.8 YPC average. Then a league-leading 5.6 YPC and 1,025 on only 182 carries.
His total career tread? About a full year's worth of work for LT, meaning Ward could have five or six seasons of 5.0 YPC left in him.
He can catch, he can block, he can make big plays in big games. He's been on a Super Bowl winner.
What big game has Michael Bush been in? What has he won on this level?
Sign Ward.

In Verner We Trust

#33 : February 28, 2009, 12:31:11 AM

I'd rather trade for LT [banghead]

warrenfb12

Hall of Famer

#34 : February 28, 2009, 12:32:47 AM

oh and ward has proven so much?

O.S. Buc76

Hall of Famer

#35 : February 28, 2009, 12:36:03 AM

oh and ward has proven so much?

Bucs Capacitor

Hall of Famer
#36 : February 28, 2009, 12:37:14 AM

Right now, I think I'd be happy with either.

#37 : February 28, 2009, 12:37:52 AM

He's proven he can relax at home in January, an important part of being on this team.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#38 : February 28, 2009, 12:40:35 AM

It's a Catch-22 on the Ward argument. If he had 500 more carries, then we could say ''He's already got too much wear and he's almost 29.''
Running backs don't wear down at a particular age. It depends on workload. He's got 1.5 really good years under his belt and is clearly in his prime.
There's nothing he does poorly: he's an above average blocker, above average receiver, has speed, is a bull and for the most part holds onto the ball.
Bush is younger, but remember that we're not talking about an even exchange here. He's not a FA. We have to trade picks for him.
There's nothing convincing that Bush is even, let alone superior.

In Verner We Trust

warrenfb12

Hall of Famer

#39 : February 28, 2009, 12:44:36 AM

It's a Catch-22 on the Ward argument. If he had 500 more carries, then we could say ''He's already got too much wear and he's almost 29.''
Running backs don't wear down at a particular age. It depends on workload. He's got 1.5 really good years under his belt and is clearly in his prime.
There's nothing he does poorly: he's an above average blocker, above average receiver, has speed, is a bull and for the most part holds onto the ball.
Bush is younger, but remember that we're not talking about an even exchange here. He's not a FA. We have to trade picks for him.
There's nothing convincing that Bush is even, let alone superior.

That may be true but you are also not going to sign said 29 yo RB to a 4 year 20 Million dollar deal. Guy is an unknown it would be irrational for the bucs to pursue such an old running back to compliment this youth movement, especially at 5 mill a year. Nobody knows what this guy can or can't do, most of the carries were handled by the big guy 27.

#40 : February 28, 2009, 12:51:08 AM

Bryan will sign him, he gave away $8,000,000, 2 1st rounders and 2 2nd rounders for a coach to fire, so maybe he'll give him $35M for 3 years.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#41 : February 28, 2009, 01:01:23 AM

1. You're hung up on the chronological age. It's irrelevant because he isn't worn down like most 28, soon-to-be 29 year-olds. That's a GOOD thing.
2. Nobody knows what he can or can't do? That's totally false. The only thing unproven is how Ward would handle a consistent 30-carry per game workload, which we would never want to do anyway. Over the last two seasons, he has had one 200-yard plus game, two other 100-yard plus games and five other of over 80 yards.
THAT is hardly unproven. In terms of carries, he's only twice gone over 20, which again is a GOOD thing.
3. The price is irrational? We have over $60M left under the cap and you want to trade a draft pick for a guy who is far less proven, both statistically and in big games? THAT is irrational.

In Verner We Trust

Larry Brackins

Starter
#42 : February 28, 2009, 01:06:10 AM

In Graham and Cadillac, the Bucs have two more power backs/not speed guys.
Smith is a speed guy, but is small in weight.
Ward gives you a nice combo of size and speed, plus he is a proven commodity in this league, without having a lot of tread on his tired.
Bush, while young, outside of two games last year hasn't really done much in his career. He's a bigger back, which there is nothing wrong with, but also suffered a brutal leg injury.

I'd take either, but the key for me is we have to give up something to get Bush, while Ward can be had for just money.

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball

warrenfb12

Hall of Famer

#43 : February 28, 2009, 01:14:37 AM

1. You're hung up on the chronological age. It's irrelevant because he isn't worn down like most 28, soon-to-be 29 year-olds. That's a GOOD thing.
2. Nobody knows what he can or can't do? That's totally false. The only thing unproven is how Ward would handle a consistent 30-carry per game workload, which we would never want to do anyway. Over the last two seasons, he has had one 200-yard plus game, two other 100-yard plus games and five other of over 80 yards.
THAT is hardly unproven. In terms of carries, he's only twice gone over 20, which again is a GOOD thing.
3. The price is irrational? We have over $60M left under the cap and you want to trade a draft pick for a guy who is far less proven, both statistically and in big games? THAT is irrational.

No it is not. What value is there with a fourth rounds pick? generally little to none, there are exceptions of course. However, usually the pick is for depth and I would be fine with trading that for a RB that would probably recieve the bulk of our carries. Common you think that age plays NO role here? Why spend all that money on a RB who is an unknown? If he is known tell me how, the guy has only been around a year or two and just started getting carries this year. But this argument is no longer an issue since the bucs have said they are not interested in ward.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lets air this out right now.... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools