Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is anyone here willing to admit the Colts made the right choice in... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

bklynbucs11

Starter

#15 : January 23, 2007, 09:55:49 AM

I think both teams made out in the deal only because the guy who can't make adjustments and win the big one a=had the forsight to move Boger back to the NT.  Something I've been saying sense his first year as a flop at UT...we got a 2nd rounder they got arguably one of the best NT's(when he's motivated to play) in the game...

One of the game's best NT's? Whatever you're smoking, share the wealth man. Booger still can't gets into the backfield very rarely, and he's basically the player least accounted for during the pass rush. Booger's not really all that good at NT - I think Hovan is comparable, and probably better at NT in the Cover-2 scheme for undersized linemen. But trust me, there are PLENTY of NT's better than Booger, even excluding the guys that play NT in the 3-4.

And for the record, trading Booger was the best thing we could have possibly done. I still say it was a great trade.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#16 : January 23, 2007, 10:33:10 AM

The reason the Colts win is Peyton Manning.   Best QB in the NFL.   I'm not sure Booger made any difference at all.

pewtersurf

Hall of Famer
#17 : January 23, 2007, 10:42:55 AM

All I saw was Booger being pushed away from the QB all game.  He wasnt dominating anyone in that last game.  And yes it was a steal for us to get  a 2nd(early 3rd) for him.

Get your Battle Flag!  Join the Fight!

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#18 : January 23, 2007, 10:46:17 AM

no.

wc24

Second String

#19 : January 23, 2007, 11:03:42 AM

trading for a Booger that we couldn't wait to pick? I think he really helped them out and we got him off our books. One of the few trades in recent years in any sport that seems like a good deal for both teams. Thoughts?

Are you kidding? Have you watched any of the Colts games since Booger went there. He's out of 95% of the plays.

wc24

Second String

#20 : January 23, 2007, 11:05:02 AM

Thing is he is playing well this post-season and the Colts are getting something out of him.

No he's not.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#21 : January 23, 2007, 11:18:45 AM

I think both teams made out in the deal only because the guy who can't make adjustments and win the big one a=had the forsight to move Boger back to the NT. Something I've been saying sense his first year as a flop at UT...we got a 2nd rounder they got arguably one of the best NT's(when he's motivated to play) in the game...

One of the game's best NT's? Whatever you're smoking, share the wealth man. Booger still can't gets into the backfield very rarely, and he's basically the player least accounted for during the pass rush. Booger's not really all that good at NT - I think Hovan is comparable, and probably better at NT in the Cover-2 scheme for undersized linemen. But trust me, there are PLENTY of NT's better than Booger, even excluding the guys that play NT in the 3-4.

And for the record, trading Booger was the best thing we could have possibly done. I still say it was a great trade.

You guys get so caught up in your hate for a player it's not even funny.  Boger is a damn good Nose tackle in the Tampa II .  Almost everyone was in favor of ditching Sapp and keeping Boger because Sapp was a loud mouth and looking to lay down on the big pay day.  We all thought since Boger was so good at NT we'd move him over and it didn't work.  Plus, it turn out his work ethic was booty as well. 

So please spare me the "what am I smoking" as I only smoke the best... ;)

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

wc24

Second String

#22 : January 23, 2007, 11:21:07 AM

Chev...all due respect, McFarland didn't play well as a Buc and hasn't played well as a Colt. He occasionally puts it together for 4 or 5 plays but for most of the game he's being pushed out of the play.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#23 : January 23, 2007, 11:36:51 AM

Chev...all due respect, McFarland didn't play well as a Buc and hasn't played well as a Colt. He occasionally puts it together for 4 or 5 plays but for most of the game he's being pushed out of the play.

Ok have you just not been watching to playoffs or are you just looking to disagree or just don't know any football.  Booger has played well in the playoffs.  He's played like the NT we had years ago.  Is it too much too little, yeah.  Would I have still made the deal, yeah.  But don't discount the guys talent and recent body of work just to satisfy your own thoughts about him and justify the deal.  It was a good deal.  Both Indy and Tampa got what the needed and wanted...

Incidentally, that's what is supposed to happen in a trade...each team gets what they need and want...we thought we got over as Booger was under performing for us and we got a 2nd rounder for him...let's not get it twisted...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

XXXVII Champs

Second String

#24 : January 23, 2007, 01:16:31 PM

Bottomline is Booger wasn't working out for the Bucs.  Glad to see he is having success in Indy.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#25 : January 23, 2007, 01:29:16 PM

Bottomline is Booger wasn't working out for the Bucs. Glad to see he is having success in Indy.

That's what I was basically trying to say, plus add in the fact we get another day one pick and again I can only come away with the fact that this is the rare occasion that each team got what the needed/wanted...seems pretty fair to me. 

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#26 : January 23, 2007, 01:33:26 PM

Booger had to go regardless of the impact on the Colts. That said, they defended the run worse since he got there, although it's true they've tightened that up a lot in the playoffs (that said, the Chargers would have run all over them).

I've watched the playoffs with a close eye on #92. First, he did have an exceptional game against KC - that was one of his best performances in years, without a doubt.  He had a big sack and forced a pick in that game.  But he had 1 tackle against Baltimore (and I know tackles aren't everything for a DT, but c'mon - Booger has always had fewer tackles than other DTs). Second, it's not clear to me that he's just playing NT - it seems to me he's played a bit of both. Third, he was back to his usual ways against the Pats perfecting what I call the Booger Watch - it's where he loses leverage at the snap, stands up and sort of floats to where the tackle is eventually made and watches over the pile. The guards were killing Booger mostly without help in that game.

People want to justify the Booger trade because they are where they are - but the Colts have improved because of a lot of factors - they are stunting the DEs inside instead of giving up those huge holes between the DT and the DE when Freeney would go on his sweeping outside moves, Sanders is finally healthy (remember our problems when Lynch got hurt in 2004?), and the team is simply tackling better.

I think the Colts overpaid, but that's good for us. He needed to go for cap and performance reasons.

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#27 : January 23, 2007, 02:26:12 PM

I think both teams made out in the deal only because the guy who can't make adjustments and win the big one a=had the forsight to move Boger back to the NT.  Something I've been saying sense his first year as a flop at UT...we got a 2nd rounder they got arguably one of the best NT's(when he's motivated to play) in the game...

i always felt that booger wasn't very special at NT - i remember all those years before he made the switch, the dialogue was always, "yeah he's ok at NT but won't really shine until he's at UT." part of the logic of sapp moving on was to cash in on booger's "potential"

just an average player all around, IMO.  and although #63 or #64 pick is a great haul for an underachieving, overpaid player, we can't make any declarations on who won that trade until we see who we picked.

flyinbuc

Pro Bowler

#28 : January 23, 2007, 04:00:23 PM

It will only be a good deal for us if we draft wisely

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#29 : January 23, 2007, 04:04:40 PM

I think both teams made out in the deal only because the guy who can't make adjustments and win the big one a=had the forsight to move Boger back to the NT. Something I've been saying sense his first year as a flop at UT...we got a 2nd rounder they got arguably one of the best NT's(when he's motivated to play) in the game...

i always felt that booger wasn't very special at NT - i remember all those years before he made the switch, the dialogue was always, "yeah he's ok at NT but won't really shine until he's at UT." part of the logic of sapp moving on was to cash in on booger's "potential"

just an average player all around, IMO. and although #63 or #64 pick is a great haul for an underachieving, overpaid player, we can't make any declarations on who won that trade until we see who we picked.

I can get down with that take.  I still think he and Warren had a thing going on.  Could Warren have gotten to where he did without Booger, maybe. But Booger could have never shown his promise without Warren.  Those two made our front 4 lethal as they all did their jobs nicely.  Booger flat out can't run all day in space as a UT.  He's not that good at it.  He's better butting heads and taking on the double and making a sack here and there.  5-8 sack year for Booger justifies his salary at NT.  Or at least I think, you just have to have a great UT to capitalize on the one on one's.  

I'm not defending the guy.  Heck I saw his play as poor as well.  But I don't want to vilify him just because I can either...

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is anyone here willing to admit the Colts made the right choice in... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools