Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Do we still attempt to clean house? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

mark2001

Pro Bowler
#15 : October 15, 2006, 09:05:02 PM

The time to trade Simms would have been two years ago when I brought up the possiblilty.  But honestly if you have asked me at the end of the last year, I would have told you I was glad we didn't.

I believe it is too late now.   By the time he is healthy, they only team he could even possibly help this year is us.   To be traded this year, learn a system, practice enough to be proficient, and play in games this year is a tremendous stretch....especially for a guy that is a FA at the end of the year.

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#16 : October 15, 2006, 09:22:26 PM

I seriously doubt Simms will get traded. Why do it? If you wait 5 months, you can get him for nothing.

As for the question on whether we continue to clean house. Yes, definitely. This victory was great but let's not have any illusions here. We're not going to the playoffs. If you can get something from desperate teams trying to make the playoffs and think they need that one extra piece, then go for it. We need good young players, be it via the draft or trade.

simms22

Second String

#17 : October 15, 2006, 09:23:44 PM

I seriously doubt Simms will get traded. Why do it? If you wait 5 months, you can get him for nothing.

As for the question on whether we continue to clean house. Yes, definitely. This victory was great but let's not have any illusions here. We're not going to the playoffs. If you can get something from desperate teams trying to make the playoffs and think they need that one extra piece, then go for it. We need good young players, be it via the draft or trade.
because then you wouldnt have to go into a bidding war with another team and chances are if you trade for him hes going to want to come back next year.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#18 : October 15, 2006, 09:30:20 PM

We definately still want to clean house here. McFarland, Rice, and Kelly are still on the block. Phillips is rumored to be on it too but I don't understand how any team would have an interest in him.

4bucs

Hall of Famer

#19 : October 16, 2006, 12:43:53 AM

if they get a 3rd for Booger they'd be estatic,think they may even settle for a 4th but they'd want a 1st for Rice and a 2nd or 3rd for Kelly.

BuccinTex

Hall of Famer
#20 : October 16, 2006, 04:02:50 AM

Brooks and Alstott should retire as Bucs. Period.  Barber would be nice to keep.  Booger should go.   Now!!  Rice is not worth the money but I don't think anyone wants to take on his salary or what the Bucs will want for him.    Kelly might be gone by Tuesday.  Time will tell.

peace

Second String

#21 : October 16, 2006, 06:01:19 AM

FIRE SALE COMING FOR BUCS?

Jay Glazer of FOX NFL Sunday reports that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are engaging in a potential "fire sale," with players such as defensive tackle Booger McFarland and cornerback Brian Kelley being offered.

"They said we can take a look at their roster and aside from first-day picks the last couple of years, guys like Cadillac [Williams], everyone else they're open to talking about," one team's G.M. told Glazer.  "They can't trade certain guys like Derrick Brooks or Ronde Barber but we got the impression they were open to everybody else."

Although the 2007 cap consequences of trading any of the current Bucs are presently unclear, the 2006 cap hit is clear -- there would be none.

Under the new CBA, trading a guy after June 1 has the same cap consequence as cutting him after June 1.  Specifically, the allocation of any signing bonus for the year stays on the books, and the remainder of the allocation is charged against the 2007 salary cap.  Under the old CBA, the entire unallocated portion of any signing bonus money accelerated into the cap year in which the trade was made.

Frankly, we're surprised that the Bucs would risk creating the impression that they're giving up on a season that still has 12 games to go.  But because the trading deadline is so early, the front office and coach Jon Gruden had to make a tough decision to try to get some help for 2007 and beyond by possibly giving up some players who could have been the difference down the stretch if the Bucs can get it going in the right direction under rookie Bruce Gradkowski.

It's just another reason why the trading deadline should be moved into the middle of November.  If the Bucs were to win their next four games, they might not be as interested in moving some of the guys who are currently on the block.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

profootballtalk!

peaceon&peaceout

XXXVII Champs

Second String

#22 : October 16, 2006, 09:29:17 AM

For the most part, the guys we have are better than the ones we may get to replace them.  I'm not a fan of getting an unproven player, such as a draft pick.

CadillacPower24_2006

Practice Squad

#23 : October 16, 2006, 09:31:13 AM

i heard them mention it on FOX 13 last night aboyut some posible trades but they didn't say if there was any truth to them...

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#24 : October 16, 2006, 09:41:08 AM

For the most part, the guys we have are better than the ones we may get to replace them.  I'm not a fan of getting an unproven player, such as a draft pick.

Not sure I agree with that.  You could make an arguement at this point that Wyms should be starting over Booger.  Unless you feel Wyms is a liability against the run.   Kelly at this point has been injured so he has not been much of use.  The only one you could say would be hard to replace would be Simeon Rice.  I like White as he has made a lot of big plays but I am not so sure he can replace Rice. 

STERN11354

Starter

#25 : October 16, 2006, 07:44:11 PM

Not sure I agree with that. You could make an arguement at this point that Wyms should be starting over Booger. Unless you feel Wyms is a liability against the run. Kelly at this point has been injured so he has not been much of use. The only one you could say would be hard to replace would be Simeon Rice. I like White as he has made a lot of big plays but I am not so sure he can replace Rice.

I always thought White was being groomed to replace Spires.  I think this kid from Purdue, Anthony Spencer, could replace Rice if we draft him in the offseason.  He has been playing lights out up here in The Big Ten.  Here are some of his stats.

http://purduesports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/spencer_anthony00.html

bucshot224

Second String

#26 : October 16, 2006, 08:08:37 PM

White is very capable of being an every down starter at DE. Trade Simeon for Jared Allen, trade Booger for a sixer, and move Spires inside. Then, draft Brandon Mebane.

Stand For Something or Fall For Anything
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Do we still attempt to clean house? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools