Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Winslow interview « previous next »
Page: 1

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

: March 04, 2009, 09:55:33 AM

From the Sporting News...good stuff...

Q: How do you feel when some of those headlines question you as a person?

A: It's a little unfair because they don't know me. It's really just what you read. It's unfortunate, but my wife and I keep it moving and do what we can. We're in Tampa, and I think it's a better situation for us. We wish the Browns the best.

Q: When did you find out that Tampa was a possibility?

A: I was going to look at houses down in San Diego and got a call from the general manager saying we need to fly you out. I was out on the red eye, arrived in the morning and then I was there in the morning and we talked about the trade.

Q: Why does Tampa fit what you do best?

A: I love it. That's why we made the trade, or else we wouldn't have made it happen. It was really on our end, and it was like a free-agent move. It was pretty new to me, and it was special. We have Luke McCown. Luke and I came in together in '04 in Cleveland, and if I had to start a team, I would start (with) him. I'm very happy with Luke McCown, and I'm a good friend of his. This team started out 9-3, if I'm correct, then lost the last four games. So I'm stepping in, and I'm just a piece of the puzzle. I'm real happy.

Q: Has the NFL softened your personality at all?

A: It's a different game. You just have to know how to play the game on and off the field. Who didn't make mistakes when they were young? It was just a little unfair how things come out sometimes.

Q: Was it eye-opening when you got to Cleveland that every move you made was going to be looked at?

A: The whole thing had to do with the whole "soldier" comment when I was 19 years old, so it was a little unfair. Then everybody's opinion was based on that. Then things didn't go well the first two years I was in the league; I got hurt and then I got in the motorcycle accident, so it wasn't a good time. My family and I, we've come back strong, and this is a real blessing for us.

Q: You've been very lucky. This is really a fresh start for you.

A: The biggest move is the warm weather. We're from San Diego, then we went to Miami, then moved to Cleveland, so it was a little bit of a change for us, but we got through it. We can't be any happier.

Q: How much of your game has been affected by injuries?

A: You've got to watch the tape. If you watch the tape, I'm the fastest person on the field, I think. I'm faster than the receivers down the field. So it really hasn't slowed me down at all.

Q: Would you say you have the same ability as you did in '04?

A: Yeah, I do. I'm just smarter. Not everything is physical out there. It has a lot to do with the mental part.

Q: I got the sense you never were comfortable in Cleveland.

A: It wasn't that, it just started off rough. That's all it was. It started off rough and ended rough. It's time for a fresh start on both sides.

Q: Have you had a chance to talk to Raheem Morris?

A: He's a special dude. He's part of the new era, the new movement going on. You can tell once you meet him that he's a leader.

Q: Have there been talks about negotiating an extension in Tampa?

A: That's the business side of it. My agent handles that and the G.M. and the whole bit.

Q: You get the sense you really needed this change?

A: I really did, and I've been working out harder than ever, like the game's tomorrow. My morale is different, and it's just a fresh start for both sides.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#1 : March 04, 2009, 09:58:17 AM

great interview for any bucs fan.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

#2 : March 04, 2009, 10:04:00 AM

Sounds like the kid gets it....and that he has learned from the problems he had in the past

TheGladiator

Pro Bowler

#3 : March 04, 2009, 10:07:12 AM

He told the story of meeting Coach Morris last night on the Killer Bees show.  

They were meeting with Mark D. and Coach.  After a little while into the meeting, Coach hadn't said anything, so K2 introduces himself:  

"We haven't met, I'm Kellen.  What's your name man?"  

"I'm Raheem.  Raheem Morris."

Kellen:  "Oh, hey, GREAT to meet you."

PRICELESS!

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#4 : March 04, 2009, 10:14:58 AM

The whole "soldier" thing was really blown out of proportion, IMO.

War cliches are used all of the time in football.  How many times have your heard the phrase "in the trenches" from some analyst?

DailyRich68

Starter
#5 : March 04, 2009, 10:37:41 AM

The whole "soldier" thing was really blown out of proportion, IMO.

War cliches are used all of the time in football.  How many times have your heard the phrase "in the trenches" from some analyst?

Not only that, they'd just lost a tough game to Tennessee that pretty much knocked them out of the national championship picture, so him being a little emotional was understandable.  What hurt him was the fact that the Iraq War had started a few months earlier, and using a term like "soldier" with words like "kill 'em" didn't go over too well when actual soldiers were dying in Iraq.  He says that now and there isn't nearly as big a deal over it.

JM2

Pro Bowler

#6 : March 04, 2009, 10:47:09 AM

Fantastic interview. His positive attitude is absolutely wonderful to hear. This trade is looking better and better to me.

And with the first pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Teddy Bridgewater, Quarterback, Louisville.

BucsNoles

Second String

#7 : March 04, 2009, 10:51:47 AM

Great addition to the team.

"Doesn't matter how you start but how you finish."

CAROLINABUC

Starter

#8 : March 04, 2009, 10:57:30 AM

He is going to light it up next year. I'm calling Pro Bowl. You heard it first.

Losing is not a option
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Winslow interview « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools