Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Scouts Inc on the Senior Bowl Thus Far « previous next »
Page: 1 2

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#15 : January 24, 2007, 02:39:07 PM

McClain would be a good pickup in the fifth round no doubt.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#16 : January 24, 2007, 03:10:57 PM

Would love nothing better than to have one of those...Where's that guy in this draft?

Sounds like that FB from alabama is off to a good start. Here's a summary:

Le'Ron McClain
FB | (6'0", 256, 4.94) | ALABAMA

Scouts Grade: 50

Strengths: Possesses good size and is thickly built. Takes good angles to blocks, stays under control in space and can adjust to the moving target at the second level. Shows good balance and does a quality job of sustaining blocks once in position. Possesses good vision and reads blocks fairly well. Shows some ability as a short-yardage runner but is a more effective short-yardage receiver. Rarely drops passes that should catch and is a reliable receiver out of the backfield. Shows surprisingly good ability adjusting to the ball away from his frame as a receiver and he has the potential to develop into a productive red zone target. Shows awareness and generally does a good job of picking up the blitz.

Weaknesses: Lacks the burst to turn the corner and doesn't show a second gear in the open field. Doesn't have the quick feet to cut back and isn't going to make many defenders miss in the open field. He has good size and natural strength, but seems to lack explosive initial pop as a blocker.

Overall: McClain played in 11 games as a true freshman in 2003, when he finished with one carry for one yard and two catches for 35 yards. In 2004, McClain saw time in 12 games (started the last four) and registered 17 carries for 66 yards and two touchdowns, and caught eight passes for 55 yards and three touchdowns. McClain played in all 12 games during the 2005 season (10 starts), when he carried eight times for 39 yards and caught 18 passes for 140 yards including two touchdowns.

McClain isn't a great athlete and he isn't going to make many big plays as a receiver or a runner. He has been far more productive catching the ball than carrying it, and he is an effective lead-blocker with good size. In our opinion, McLain ranks as one of the top fullback prospects in the 2007 class but that will get him drafted no earlier than the fifth round.

If he's a fullback he doesn't have to be nifty (does he ???), we just happened to have found one in Alstott but that's clearly not what JG wants in an FB...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#17 : January 24, 2007, 03:12:54 PM

Weaknesses: Lacks the burst to turn the corner and doesn't show a second gear in the open field. Doesn't have the quick feet to cut back and isn't going to make many defenders miss in the open field. He has good size and natural strength, but seems to lack explosive initial pop as a blocker.

If he's a fullback he doesn't have to be nifty (does he ???), we just happened to have found one in Alstott but that's clearly not what JG wants in an FB...

Most of that "weakness" doesn't bother me other than the "seems to lack explosive initial pop as a blocker" stuff but he's effective so that's good enough for me.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#18 : January 24, 2007, 03:15:48 PM

Most of that "weakness" doesn't bother me other than the "seems to lack explosive initial pop as a blocker" stuff but he's effective so that's good enough for me.

I meant the A-train isn't what he wants.  This kid sounds like a little Lo.  If he can get some movement like Lo, I'm all for him...Heck any Jameel Cook sightings lately?

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#19 : January 24, 2007, 03:17:52 PM

I meant the A-train isn't what he wants.  This kid sounds like a little Lo.  If he can get some movement like Lo, I'm all for him...Heck any Jameel Cook sightings lately?

No, I was there with you. I think he's a near perfect option in the Jon Ritchie mode who was nicely successful for Gruden in OAK.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#20 : January 24, 2007, 03:28:33 PM

I was watching both of the practices on NFL Network yesterday and some of the guys they were really raving about were, Anthony Spencer DE/OLB, Kevin Kolb QB, Adam Carriker DE/DT, the WR from LSU and Tony Hunt RB. Mayock is riding Kolb's jock like he did Cutler last year. They mentioned that Coyer played Carriker at DE and quite a bit at DT. I was also surprised to hear them say Okoye probably wouldn't make it out of the 2nd round. I thought he was projected by most to go in the first. I'd love to see us draft Rogers in the first, Levi Brown or Staley with 2A, Okoye with 2b and Kolb with 3.
Also, the guys on the set with Mayock were getting on him pretty good about his "Mancrush on the ND DE Abiermi" spelling.
If we get Okoye it's going to have to be with 2A...he won't fall to 2B. I love Kolb's potential. I was very interested in seeing him after watching the CUSA title game and the Liberty Bowl. Kolb could be great in this offense if he sits for a year or two.

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#21 : January 24, 2007, 07:06:10 PM

Sounds good to me. Any FB not named Leonard is good though.

Leonard weighed in at 224 so he's really not an FB anymore. He's gonna run and show his chops at 224 so who knows what sort of player he is at 240 where everyone thought he was.

no more project tweeners please.  if we are going to draft a FB, then i'd rather it be a true blocking FB. 

#22 : January 24, 2007, 07:27:25 PM

McClain or Latsko are fine by me.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#23 : January 24, 2007, 09:36:11 PM

The Great Blue North Draft Report's Senior Bowl practice notes:
http://www.gbnreport.com/seniorbowlreport.htm

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#24 : January 24, 2007, 10:21:49 PM

From Kirwan:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9951632

It took five minutes of the first contact drill to realize Alabama fullback Le'Ron McClain is one tough football player. Is he a first-round pick? No. Is he a first-day pick? Only if a team is interested in a man who is going to get on linebackers and physically dominate them and can catch a short pass to move the chains when the defense overplays the run. A 6-foot, 255-pound bulldozer, McLain is in the model of NFL fullbacks Lorenzo Neal, Mack Strong and Heath Evans. He's not winning any beauty contests, but he is going to set the tempo for the running game.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#25 : January 24, 2007, 11:30:19 PM

I've never been on the Leonard bandwagon either, but in fairness, they do know what he looks like at 240 (or at least close to it) - it's been discussed all week that he dropped at least 10 pounds on purpose, in order to showcase his running ability. So they've got all that Rutgers tape of him playing heavier.

btw, I've dreamed that Okoye will drop to the second round too, but that's simply not going to happen. He's maybe lighter than people expected, but he's been dominated and Mayock even said today that he might be the most impressive player so far this weak. His spin move is unreal. Kiper said today he was a mid-first.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#26 : January 25, 2007, 08:04:37 AM

Good call on that Alabama kid Dal, Scott pimped him in the Wednesday SB update...

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#27 : January 25, 2007, 09:07:06 AM

Would love nothing better than to have one of those...Where's that guy in this draft?

Sounds like that FB from alabama is off to a good start. Here's a summary:

Le'Ron McClain
FB | (6'0", 256, 4.94) | ALABAMA

Scouts Grade: 50

Strengths: Possesses good size and is thickly built. Takes good angles to blocks, stays under control in space and can adjust to the moving target at the second level. Shows good balance and does a quality job of sustaining blocks once in position. Possesses good vision and reads blocks fairly well. Shows some ability as a short-yardage runner but is a more effective short-yardage receiver. Rarely drops passes that should catch and is a reliable receiver out of the backfield. Shows surprisingly good ability adjusting to the ball away from his frame as a receiver and he has the potential to develop into a productive red zone target. Shows awareness and generally does a good job of picking up the blitz.

Overall: McClain played in 11 games as a true freshman in 2003, when he finished with one carry for one yard and two catches for 35 yards. In 2004, McClain saw time in 12 games (started the last four) and registered 17 carries for 66 yards and two touchdowns, and caught eight passes for 55 yards and three touchdowns. McClain played in all 12 games during the 2005 season (10 starts), when he carried eight times for 39 yards and caught 18 passes for 140 yards including two touchdowns.

McClain isn't a great athlete and he isn't going to make many big plays as a receiver or a runner. He has been far more productive catching the ball than carrying it, and he is an effective lead-blocker with good size. In our opinion, McLain ranks as one of the top fullback prospects in the 2007 class but that will get him drafted no earlier than the fifth round.
This is a pretty good assessment.

However, I think that McClain has better feet (with the ball) than this summary gives him credit for. I have seen him make plenty of would be tacklers miss, and sometimes miss BADLY.

As for the negative........ There have been instances of McClain fumbling while trying to get "tough" yards.

All in all, I would love to see him drafted by the Bucs.

He will be the best pro from Bama to be drafted this year.

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Scouts Inc on the Senior Bowl Thus Far « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools