Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Did we give up too much for Kellen Winslow? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#30 : March 06, 2009, 10:54:57 AM

Disagree with you guys on the Chiefs-Patriots deal. Think atleast 60 QBs could have done what Cassel did last year, including Thigpen. Pioli aggressively collecting marginally talented Pats is similar to what Marinelli did up in Detroit.

I think Luke McCown would have put up similar numbers to Cassel too if he were playing with all that talent in NE.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#31 : March 06, 2009, 10:57:34 AM

Going rate for a young, vet PB TE. Same compensation the Saints gave the Giants for Shockey last year.

'Nuff said

#32 : March 06, 2009, 11:01:35 AM

The saints would undo that trade in a second.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#33 : March 06, 2009, 10:59:57 AM

I don't understand why anyone is attempting to correlate trades of players at three different positions with different pay structures which include 4 different teams made under different circumstances.

One has nothing to do with each other.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

kmitchell

Starter

#34 : March 06, 2009, 11:05:20 AM

Kellen Winslow> Dexter Jackson, Josh Johnson

MarleyMon81

Hall of Famer

#35 : March 06, 2009, 11:07:45 AM

The saints would undo that trade in a second.

Maybe so, but as of right now I'm super happy to have K2 is a Buccaneer and have all the confidence he'll produce a PB caliber season.

I do remember there were some Buc fans here last off season that were really wanting the Bucs to trade for Shockey.  

4bucs

Hall of Famer
#36 : March 06, 2009, 11:55:15 AM

Maybe I see this all wrong...but in my eyes WINSLOW is our #2 wr and will be on the field more then Clayton...hell hes faster then both Clayton and Bryant and lets not even compare his hands with stone hands...maybe they wrote Claytons contract with invisable ink ...paying him more then 2 million is insane.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#37 : March 06, 2009, 12:11:08 PM

Maybe I see this all wrong...but in my eyes WINSLOW is our #2 wr and will be on the field more then Clayton...hell hes faster then both Clayton and Bryant and lets not even compare his hands with stone hands...maybe they wrote Claytons contract with invisable ink ...paying him more then 2 million is insane.

You're right about the fact that Winslow should be looked at by fans as a WR pickup because that is the effect he'll have on the offense but I don't agree with the either/or aspect of personnel on the field.

Winslow will be in the slot a lot with Clayton out wide. Gilmore will line up as a typical TE. It's a run set that the Bucs will throw out of occasionally.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#38 : March 06, 2009, 01:43:36 PM

it was a fair deal.

Cleveland got a 2nd for a player they weren't on the same page with

Bucs got a probowl TE who if he can stay healthy will prove to be well worth the 2nd round pick. 

Nobody "won" the trade if you ask me.  Now if we got him for peanuts like a 4th rounder, then yeah...Bucs win...but the Browns def got some value in return.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#39 : March 06, 2009, 04:25:35 PM

Winslow wasn't injured in 2008, he only played in 10 games due to the epidemic staph infection that Cleveland is known for. An unprecedented 7 cases, in fact. Projecting his 10 game numbers over a full season, in 2008 he might have had 70 catches for 700 yards and 5 TD's. More than half of his catches (25) were for first downs.

But did the Bucs pay too much? Ask me again sometime in December when we'll know for sure.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#40 : March 06, 2009, 07:37:09 PM

I really think Cleveland would of found a way to make it work with Edwards and Winslow unless they just wanted him the heck out of there. Not like Cleveland has a boat load of high paid players. Winslow is definately talented, but the baggage is quite evident.

There was talk of a rift between the two when he started speaking out about the staph infection.

Michael Clayton will be fine now that Gruden is gone. Injuries and Gruden's doghouse hampered his production since his rookie year.

Michael "The Walking Excuse" Clayton. Injuries? Thats rich.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#41 : March 06, 2009, 07:41:10 PM

Hmm let's see -

broken right leg, torn right ACL, micro-fracture surgery on his right knee, and for added affect - staph infection...in the right knee...

I'm thinking you've got a 25 year old probowler with the body of a 30 year old playmaker...

So, yes, I think we gave up too much.

Incomparable sig by Incognito

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#42 : March 06, 2009, 07:59:33 PM

Nope - he passed the physical.  He is good to go - and when he is they guy is a STUD TE.  For a second and a 5th - really a 6th bc of a year later - good deal. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

#43 : March 06, 2009, 09:09:38 PM

So aside from the microfracture concerns (which are real considering the nature of the game, the weakness of joints), was giving up a 2nd too much for K2?

I think you just answered your own question. What player has had prolonged success following micro-fracture surgery? That is the source of my concern.

And for the record, I love the guy.

#44 : March 06, 2009, 09:22:25 PM

At this point, it still appears we wasted a pick on Michael Clayton, yet we gave this clown a contract with money he hasn't earned. You can't tell me Clayton is in the same league as K2.

Michael Clayton will be fine now that Gruden is gone. Injuries and Gruden's doghouse hampered his production since his rookie year. The new regime knows his worth and paid him accordingly. Clayton is one of the very best blocking WRs in the league, and he will return to form in receptions without the prejudice of Jon Gruden. Don't expect 1200 yards from him. He is not the only viable receiver like he was in his rookie year. He will contribute whether the play called is a run or a pass, and he will earn his money and your respect. This team already has a lot of options in the passing game, and defenses won't know where they are vulnerable. The ball will be spread around, and while I'm at it, McCown will prove to be an upgrade over Garcia. He also was a victim of Gruden's doghouse.

Well said.

Utter insanity.

His lack of performance had nothing to do with Gruden, except in regard to the craptastic QBs Jon kept fielding. 

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Did we give up too much for Kellen Winslow? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools