Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: America's Game - where were bucs « previous next »
Page: 1 2

SamoaJoeBucFan

Starter

#15 : January 24, 2007, 10:30:21 PM

It's a shame.  That is such an underrated team.  We absolutely dominated people in the playoffs.  We played some teams with very good offenses, including the Number 1 Raiders, with the NFL MVP, and picked him off 5 times.  That Bucs team was dominant, and that's something the Patriots can't say.

Mex-Buc

Rookie

#16 : January 24, 2007, 11:40:23 PM

For what i know the 02-03 Bucs allowed FEWER points than the ´85 Bears.... i think that is a lot better considering both defenses but oh well... its just the nfl... HATERS...

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#17 : January 25, 2007, 12:13:37 AM

That boring Ravens team that beat a weak Giants team that year was way overrated in my book.    Our defense was better than that one.

BucsPirate

Pro Bowler

#18 : January 25, 2007, 12:29:18 AM

It's tough to compare. From 99-2002 the Bucs really revolutionized defensing the forward pass. The stars on the Buccaneers may have been the coaches just as much as they were the players. Dungy, Kiffin, Marinelli, Lovie, Herm, Tomlin, Barry, Gruden. That's a pretty star studded cast of coaches who's work really culminated in that Superbowl, but a show like that is just for talk about what was seen, and isn't going to take something like that into account. The real question is how great those teams would have ranked had their been more balance through those years, and had personnel decisions been more consistently good.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#19 : January 25, 2007, 02:28:09 AM

If you're going to rate the top defenses since the first Super Bowl, it's difficult to leave the Bucs off the list. You can take two or three Steeler teams, the '69 Chiefs, the '73 Dolphins (who allowed fewer than 200 points even in 17 games), the '85 Bears, the 2000 Ravens... But the Bucs belong in the conversation somewhere there. Even if you put the 1986 Giants ahead of them (which I would not), they still belong in the top 10. But who nationally goes to bat for us? No one. No one to build the mythology. Therefore, we are shortchanged.

In Verner We Trust

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#20 : January 25, 2007, 09:04:03 AM

Yeah, i understand the no love for the offense thing. That offense wasn't that good - although with Brad, KM and KJ it wasn't as bad as folks think it was - but the defense had stars all over the place. Sapp and Brooks are sure fire HoFers. Barber, Rice and Lnych are going to get serious conversations about their HoF credentials. That's not a bad set of talent. I understand, in some dim way, 35 overall but not a top 20 defensive effort is simply not possible.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

goto11

Starter
#21 : January 25, 2007, 09:17:46 AM

When did they rank just defenses?  America's Game ranks the 20 best Super Bowl teams by year.  I was disappointed that the Bucs were left off, but not really surprised.  I think the stigma the Bucs generated by being losers for so many years carries over into how people think of their Super Bowl team.  Like they just got lucky one year.  That's obvious by the fan-ranking of #35 (out of 40!)  I certainly think they should be ranked above the 1991 Redskins who did make the top 20.  I would probably rank the 2002 Bucs as #16 or #17.

But if you're just ranking Super Bowl defenses?  Easily in the top 10.

HereComesDaBoom

Practice Squad
#22 : January 25, 2007, 10:51:10 AM

It was on ESPn so they really showed their love for the Pats, Boys, 9ers, Steelers, chiefs and Dolpins. I turned it off after watching another replay of a Pats Superbowl play. Very onesided you ask me.

bOOm
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: America's Game - where were bucs « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools