Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 22nd Florida Football Player Arrested Under Urban Meyer Regime « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7

LFO

Hall of Famer

#15 : March 12, 2009, 11:31:07 PM

Again, kids are going to get in trouble, it happens. What you do about it is what is important. Most guys either are no longer with the program or learn their lessons and Meyer molds them into men. You can do all you want and say all you want to kids, but the ultimate decision on which path they want to lead is their choice. He can guide them, show them the way, and try and help them...but kids have to WANT to do the right thing. Unfortunately some choose the wrong path.

Shouldn't Urban KNOW these guys are thugs prior to them being arrested?  Just curious ..... 

LOL

I'll play.

I think in some cases you have guys that have never been in trouble before, get good marks from high school coaches (see Newton), then get away from home for the first time, and get in trouble.  I don't know about you, but Lord knows when I was 18 and in college I did some stupid stuff....maybe not as dumb as some of these college players we hear about in the news, but dumb stuff all the same.  Factor in you have 85 18-21 year old kids, you are bound to have a few that get into stuff they shouldn't.  I do think you also at times have a guy like Meyer who have a psychology degree feels like he can take a troubled kid and make a man out of him.  In many cases (see Percy) it works.   I think Urban is fair, and think he genuinely cares for the players and will try to help that as much as he can, try and make them responsible young men who when they get in trouble have to earn their way back on.  I also think that when it warrants it, he will cut ties, like he has done with guys like Hornsby (who was actually supposed to be a good kid), Rickerson, etc. 

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#16 : March 12, 2009, 11:35:19 PM

Stupid things like ... I don't know ... cheating on tests .... perhaps  .....  ;)

LFO

Hall of Famer

#17 : March 12, 2009, 11:42:57 PM

Stupid things like ... I don't know ... cheating on tests .... perhaps  .....  ;)

Yeah, because that is related. 

Continuous cheating by over 60 athletes borders on the Hornsby line...where it's not just a 1 time I'm an idiot deal.  It is calculated. 

Besides, the point was there was information to be had that indicated something was wrong, yet it was ignored. 

I can't believe you are even trying to compare the situations. 

If someone gave Urban a bank statement that showed 25 players were cashing thousands of dollars in checks from selling stolen goods every month, and rather than check into it he ignored it...I think that might be similar to what you are talking about. 

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#18 : March 12, 2009, 11:46:28 PM

you're right kids getting arrested is far worse than getting caught cheating on tests ....

LFO

Hall of Famer

#19 : March 12, 2009, 11:51:22 PM

you're right kids getting arrested is far worse than getting caught cheating on tests ....

You are completely ignoring the point and the facts.  Only you would try and compare the 2.  I will give it one last try, maybe you can understand it like this. 

Short of following a kid around, a coach can't know what he is doing on the streets.  What he CAN do, is take a look at the police reports should they get in trouble, and take action.  Should he ignore the reports, well that is a problem and I have no issue with someone knocking him for it. 

Just as, a coach cannot follow a kid to his classes. But what he CAN do is look at attendance and grade reports.  If something looks fishy or out of place (especially if there are MANY guys), take action.  However, should he ignore the reports, well, that is a problem and I think he should be knocked for it. 

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#20 : March 12, 2009, 11:53:33 PM

Only YOU could try and pass such bias comments off as facts ....

I understand what you are saying ... it's just b$

LFO

Hall of Famer

#21 : March 13, 2009, 12:03:30 AM

Only YOU could try and pass such bias comments off as facts ....

I understand what you are saying ... it's just b$

LOL

What is not facts?  There were 60+ players involved and there are reports which were skewed both in # of athletes enrolled and disproportionate grades.  The situations aren't even remotely close.

I don't think urban ever saw a report that said "22 players are going to be arrested over a 4 year period" where he could run out and stop it.  Not sure why you are even comparing the two...oh wait, of course I am sure why...you want to start an argument.  Hey, you succeeded there.  claps.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#22 : March 13, 2009, 12:36:33 AM

LOL ... you got a lot of nerve accusing anyone of starting arguments around here.  I just made comments .. you decided to make personal attacks ..

It's a double standard ... I haven't seen anything that indicated the NCAA found that the coaching staffs played guys that they knew were cheating ...   

Out of those 22 players I'm pretty sure a few of them exhibited behaviors that may have warned of potential criminal behavior .. I'd venture to say that there was more than one occasion that someone said to Urban or one of the other coaches that "so and so is hanging with the wrong crowd or getting into some crap" etc. etc.

there is no argument ... you're biased

LFO

Hall of Famer

#23 : March 13, 2009, 06:58:18 PM

LOL ... you got a lot of nerve accusing anyone of starting arguments around here.� I just made comments .. you decided to make personal attacks ..

It's a double standard ... I haven't seen anything that indicated the NCAA found that the coaching staffs played guys that they knew were cheating ...� �

Out of those 22 players I'm pretty sure a few of them exhibited behaviors that may have warned of potential criminal behavior .. I'd venture to say that there was more than one occasion that someone said to Urban or one of the other coaches that "so and so is hanging with the wrong crowd or getting into some crap" etc. etc.

there is no argument ... you're biased

Yep, they are the same for sure and you are completely unbiased.... ::)

LOL

A lot of nerve?  Yeah, because I started the argument.  Yep, and before I made Boid attack me, falsely, and then spin it.  Yep, I am all powerful. 

And where did I personally attack you here?  I stated my points, that's it. You wanted a fight, you got it.  Congrats.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#24 : March 13, 2009, 08:07:58 PM

Whatever .... What am I biased about?  I don't care about FSU or UF .... Funny how you never start any arguments, but you're in them all the time ... poor LFO always getting picked on by the other posters ... LOL  ... How did I start an argument? ... By pointing out the double standard of your comments? ....  Oh that's right ... the message board is for you to comment ... everyone else just needs to read and agree .... look in the mirror buddy ... 

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer
#25 : March 14, 2009, 07:53:09 PM

Florida defensive tackle Torrey Davis, who made two goal-line tackles in the national championship against Oklahoma, has left the team.

School spokesman Steve McClain confirmed Davis' departure Saturday, but would not divulge the reason for his decision.

Davis, a sophomore from Seffner, had academic trouble and at least two off-the-field problems during his time in Gainesville. He was cited for alcohol possession and driving with knowledge of a suspended license.

One of the nation's top recruits in 2007, Davis had 15 tackles and two sacks in two seasons. His highlight came when he stuffed Oklahoma's Chris Brown on consecutive plays from the 1-yard line in the second quarter of a 7-7 game. The Gators won 24-14.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3980230

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer
#26 : March 27, 2009, 02:16:15 AM

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_uf/2009/03/college-football-torrey-davis-latests-postgators-arrest-to-explain-trend.html

http://College football coaches take plenty of heat for the arrests of their players, and with good reason. Players become their responsibility.

Florida Gators Coach Urban Meyer deserves credit for this: When the last three Gators have either been kicked off or unceremoniously left the team,  Meyer's intuition was right based on their post-Gators arrest report.

Take Torrey Davis (left), who left the team two weeks ago only to get arrested in Gainesville this week for violation of probation. Davis was on probation for knowingly driving with a suspended license one too many times. Apparently he got caught again late Wednesday afternoon. Davis left the jail early Thursday morning on his own recognizance.

Meyer didn't technically "kick" Davis off the team, but it should be noted that many of Davis' problems at UF were self-imposed. Davis sat out large portions of his two seasons with the Gators for various academic and disciplinary reasons. It was time for him to go.

#27 : March 27, 2009, 11:37:20 AM

There is more in the article. Interesting. 

Theres nothing interesting about it and nobody enjoys hating on the GAtors more than I do

Every major program in the country like Oklahoma, Texas, USC, UF, UM, and FSU who get all the top athletes in high school foottball, end up with knuckle heads. Get over it. I dont care who your coach is, if you are coaching one of thsoe schools you can have a very religous coach like Bobby Bowden and you are still going to get a bunch of POS human beings

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer
#28 : March 27, 2009, 12:45:50 PM

When you're number one, you're scrutinized. Don't worry, I will be on the Rays soon enough.  :D

#29 : April 03, 2009, 11:27:24 AM

Nothing new...Every program has its problems
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 22nd Florida Football Player Arrested Under Urban Meyer Regime « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools